Array
(
[0] => Array
(
[name] => Tajhat Zamindar Palace
[post_id] => 1923
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/bn/places/tajhat-zamindar-palace/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/IMG_50442-300x225.jpg
[post_content] =>
Few of the attractions in Bangladesh are as stately, large and beautiful as the Tajhat Zamindar Palace. This historical palace was built near the beginning of the 20th century. It is situated roughly three kilometers south east of Rangpur’s city center and currently serves as a museum for the public.
The front of this impressive edifice is about 76 meters long and two stories high. A ribbed conical dome supported by a tall octagonal neck is located in the center of the roof and crowns the palace. These are just some of the extraordinary features that continue to attract visitors from around the world to this small corner of the globe. The incredible architectural skill that went into the building and design of this 100-year-old palace is truly something special and visitors often find themselves stunned by the craftsmanship that is found in this amazing structure. It is hard to believe that all this, and the surrounding city, all started as a simple bit of trade involving hats.
Sometime during the 18th century a man by the name of Manna Lal Roy traveled from Punjab in India as a cap or hat merchant.There was a massive cap bazaar where trade was regularly conducted about half a kilometer southwest of Mahiganj and this was where he set up shop. The area was known appropriately as taj (cap) hat (bazaar) and the name has always stuck. Manna Lal Roy was a shrewd businessman who managed to amass quite a bit of wealth through his cap sales. In fact he became so rich that he was able to loan many of the viceroys in the region money during the famine of 1770-1790. This gave him immense power and influence and eventually led to him becoming the founder of the Tajhat dynasty. In the 1900s, one of his indirect heirs, GobindaLal Roy, became the last viceroy and Raja of Tajhat. GobindaLal Roy was the most educated viceroy to ever take his position and under his authority Tajhat flourished. It is thought that the Tajhat Palace was built under his rule.
There are a number of features of the palace that testify to the incredible wealth of the Lal Roy viceroy. Apart from the building’s immense size, the wide stairs that climb to the second story on the front of the building are made of marble. Beautiful pictures can be found on doors and windows.
)
[1] => Array
(
[name] => Grave of Mir Mosharraf Hossain
[post_id] => 22125
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/bn/places/grave-of-mir-mosharraf-hossain/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/P_20151016_161142_p-300x169.jpg
[post_content] => Mir Mosharraf Hossain is considered as the first novelist to emerge from the Muslim society of Bengal. He was born and bred in Lahinipara, Kushtia. His Novel "Bishad Sindhu" (a tragedy based on a historical incident) is his best creation.
Early Life: Though he was born in the village of Lahinipara in Kumarkhali, Kushtia in 1847 but after that he spent most of his life in Padamdi in Baliakandi Upozila under Rajbari district. He was born in a Muslim aristocrat family.
Mid Life: He married his fathers friends daughter but it wasn't a good match. So, he got divorced and married again to Kulsum Bibi. She stayed with Mir Mosharraf Hossain till her last breath.
Bishad Sindhu: a famous literature in Bengali history. It is a novel based on the tragic death of the grandchildren of Holy Prophet Mohammad. The incidents behind "Ashura" is being well written in here.
Mir Mosharraf Hossain Memorial and his grave: Mir Mosharraf Hossain died in 1912 in Padamdi. In 1999, Government of People's Republic of Bangladesh decided to build a memorial complex in his family graveyard in Padamdi, Rajbari. In 2001, the then Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina inaugurated the official construction work. In 2004, the memorial complex was handed over to
Bangla Academy for its maintenance. Then Bangla Academy built a library in there and later a bust statue of Mir Mosharraf Hossain was placed in front of the graveyard. The nearby Primary School was also renamed after his name.
)
[2] => Array
(
[name] => Ulpur Zamindar Bari
[post_id] => 18413
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/bn/places/ulpur-zamindar-bari/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Ulpur-Jomidarbari-1-300x169.jpg
[post_content] =>
During 1850, the greater Gopalganj area was ruled by the Zamindar. At that time, they made hundreds of buildings for their residence and official purposes. The buildings were made in the traditional Zamindar Bari look and style. In the last 150 years, most of the houses were destroyed by erosion. After being taken by the government, the authority turned some of these houses into government buildings. Now, most of the houses are abandoned or occupied by local people.
There is a cluster of old buildings in the Ulpur Area which is situated in the Gopalgonj - Takerhat highway, not so far from the Gopalgonj main town. As soon as you cross the Ulpur bridge from Ulpur bazar, the buildings start to appear. The first one was used as the Union Land Office (Government) but is now abandoned. The local people over there are now using it to stock fodder.
The second was probably used as a duplex residential complex but now is being used as the Sub Post Office. The surrounding environment is good and the building is covered by bamboo stocks. In the main road, there is a large old building, which was probably the main building. Outside this building the words "Dinesh Dham" in Bengali is carved in a white slate. This building is currently occupied by some local inhabitants.
If we go farther, then we will see another broken house formerly used as the Upazilla Registry office, now almost completely in ruins. "Din-Dham" in Bengali is also carved outside he building in white stone.
The overall environment of this village is very good and peaceful. Walking for an hour in the silence of this area will be relaxing. The most attractive structure is the Temple. The walls of the temple is decorated with colorful glass & ceramics. The temple looks good but it is also abandoned so the temple has shifted into a newly constructed building.
)
[3] => Array
(
[name] => King Harish Chandra Mound Palace
[post_id] => 10403
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/bn/places/king-harish-chandra-mound-palace/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Raja-Harish-Chandra-Mound-Palace-1-300x169.jpg
[post_content] =>
Buddhist monastic remains have been found at least in three places in Savar. One of which is locally known as King Harish Chandra mound Palace in Majidpur (মজিদপুর) village to the east of the Savar Market bus-stop.
King Harish Chandra Mound Palace is a protected monument by the Department of Archaeology in Bangladesh. It Was protected on 22nd of November 1920, under ancient monument preservation act 1904 and acquired by the Government of Bangladesh in 23 December, 1925.
Excavation conducted here previously in 1925-26, traces of four structures along with some lintels of terracotta, Buddha images, and an inscribed Vishnu image were found. The evidence as a whole pointed to 7th-8th century AD. Excavations in the Rajbadi mound in 1989-90 revealed a square-shaped stupa enclosed by a wide wall. A silver 'Harikela' coin, a gold coin and a number of Buddhist bronze figures have been unearthed here. A date around 7th-8th century AD has been suggested for the remains.
Regular Archaeological excavation were conducted during several seasons from 1988 to 1997. As a result of those excavation It revealed a Stupa measuring 28m×28 on the north of the mound and an oblong monastic cells on the south of the mound. It appears two building and rebuilding phase on the both of exposed remains.
By Archaeological excavations Further to its east at Rajasan, another area had been discovered containing Buddhist remains.
)
)