Ahsan Manzil (আহসান মঞ্জিল, Ahsan Monjil) was the official residential and seat of the Dhaka Nawab Family. This magnificent building is situated at Kumartoli along the banks of the Buriganga River in Dhaka, Bangladesh. The construction of this palace was started in 1859 and completed in 1872. It was constructed in the Indo-Saracenic Revival architecture. It has been designated as a national museum.
In Mughal era, there was a garden house of Sheikh Enayet Ullah, the landlord of Jamalpur porgona (district), in this place. Sheikh Enayet Ullah was a very charming person. He acquired a very big area in Kumortuli (Kumartuli) and included it in his garden house. Here he built a beautiful palace and named it “Rongmohol”. He used to enjoy here keeping beautiful girls collecting from the country and abroad, dressing them with gorgeous dresses and expensive ornaments. There is a saying that, the foujdar of Dhaka (representative of mughal emperor) in that time was attracted to one of the beautiful girls among them. He invited Sheikh Enayet Ullah in a party one night and killed him in a conspiracy when he was returning home. That girl also committed suicide in anger and sorrow. There was a grave of Sheikh Enayet Ullah in the north-east corner of the palace yard which was ruined in the beginning of 20th century.
Around 1740 century, in the period of Nawab Alibardi Khan, Sheikh Moti Ullah, the son of Sheikh Enayet Ullah, sold the property to the French traders. There was a French trading house beside this property. The trading house became wealthier after purchasing this property. In that time, French traders could do business here without paying any taxes by a decree from the emperor Awrangajeb.
In that time, the French became very wealthy by doing business here in competition with the English and other European companies. They made a big palace and dug a pond for sweet water in the newly purchased property. The pond still exists in the compound of Ahsan Manjil which was called “Les Jalla” in that time. In the English-French war, French got defeated and all their properties were captured by the English. In the 22nd June of 1757, the French left the trading house with a fleet of 35 boats from the river station of Buriganga in front of Kumartuli.
In 1785, the French transferred the property to a French tradesman named Mr. Champigni, and retaken it at 1801. According to Paris agreement of 1814, the French claimed all their left properties at Dhaka, and in 1827 the property was again returned to the French. For the increasing power of the English, the French was forced to left subcontinent. They decided to sell all their properties in Dhaka. So in 1830, the trading house of Kumartuli was purchased by the established landlord of Dhaka Khwaja Alimullah.
After some renovation work, the trading house became the residence of Khwaja Alimullah. In his time, a stable and a family mosque was added in the compound. After his death, his son Khwaja Abdul Gani made a great flourish to the property, and named it “Ahsan Manjil” on his son Ahsan Ullah. In the east side of the old building, he made a new building with a different design, and also done great renovation work to the old building. Since then, the old building was called “Ondor Mohol” and the new building as “Rong mohol”.
In the evening of 7 April 1888, a devastating tornado hit Dhaka city causing great damage. Ahsan Manjil was severely damaged and abandoned. An English engineer from Kolkata arrived here to examine the palace. He gave opinion that except the “Rangmahal”, all other parts of the palace have to reconstruct. So Khwaja Abdul Gani and his son Ahsanullah turned their full attention to rebuild the palace. Both of the building was reconstructed during that time with a new design and supervised by the local engineer Gobinda Chandra Roy.
The old French building was reconstructed to a two storied building keeping similarity to the Rangmahal. A gangway was made with wood connecting the first floor of two building. The most beautiful thing made in this time was the dome, which made the palace so beautiful. After the death of Khwaja Ahsanullah in 1901, the glory of Ahsan Manjil was ended. His successors couldn’t continue the glory because of the internal family quarrel. They rented different parts of the palace to tenants, who actually made it a slum. In 1952, govt. acquired the property and left in supervision of the Dhaka Nawab court. In 1985, Dhaka National Museum acquired the property and made it a museum.
You can reach Old Dhaka by taking local transport from any part of Dhaka city.
Beside enjoying the enchanting view of the Ahsan Manjil, you can go for a boat trip from the Shadarghat boat terminal which is a few minutes away. If you feel like knowing about the Bangladesh history you can always got to the liberation war museum or the national museum. Capture the priceless moments by taking photos and enjoy the natural beauty and the historical presence.
Currency Museum is located at Mirpur beside Bangladesh Bank Training Academy. This project is taken regarding the enlargement of the currency museum into money museum. The country’s eminent artists, architects and historians have worked together for the museum along with the central bank to make it launch.
Museum authority has collected local and foreign coins and banknotes in different ways to enrich this museum. The museum has now thousands of coins and notes from the Pala, Sena, Gupta, Sultani, Mughal and British periods. About 2500 coins and notes found in Wari-Bateshwar of Narsingdi will be reserved in this Museum. Bangladesh Numismatic Collectors’ Society handed over 100 coins of different eras to the Currency Museum of Bangladesh Bank.
The historically significant deposited coins included 48 of the Alauddin Hossain Shah era, 29 of Nasiruddin Nusrat Shah, four of Shamsuddin Ilyas Shah, five of Sikandar Shah, three of Giasuddin Azam Shah, three of Rukunuddin Barbak Shah, two of Nasiruddin Mahmud, one of Mahmud Shah, one of Shahjahan, two of Badsha Alamgir , one of Islam Shah and one of the Shah Alam era.
A museum, first of its kind in Bangladesh, will help young people to know about the currency’s history and its evolution. Not only the history of Money, this museum will also help people to get acquainted with the lifestyle, education, culture and various aspects of archaeological evolution of human civilization through coins and currencies of different eras.
It showcases coins and banknotes, which are witnesses to history, to uphold the history and heritage before the present and future generations. Efforts are already on to collect old coins and install digital signage, touch screens, LCD monitors etc to equip the ‘Taka Museum’ into a modern, prosperous, state of the art, rich in information and technology-based museum.It has been established with modern technology to attract visitors.
The Governor, Expressed his appreciation in people of the society who are coming forward to enrich the collections of the Taka Museum of the bank, Dr Atiur Rahman said those institutions and individuals who would handover old coins as presents to the museum would be gladly accepted and the presenters would be properly recognized.
Background History: A currency museum was set up in the Bangladesh Bank in 2009, which was displaying currencies of almost all countries of the world. Initiatives had been taken to expand this museum to open the 'Taka Jadhughar’. At the end, the central bank's existing currency museum is being restructured as the 'Taka Jadughar'. The restructuring of the 'Taka Jadhughar' took place on the premises of Bangladesh Bank Training Institute at Mirpur. Along with this, the central bank is collecting obsolete coins and banknotes to exhibit in the gallery.)  => Array ( [name] => Postal Museum [post_id] => 10135 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/postal-museum/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Postal-Museum-11-300x169.jpg [post_content] => The Postal Museum was inaugurated in 1985 but it was not so popular because it only opens on the weekdays during office hours previously.It is located in the second Floor of the General Post Office (G. P. O.) in Gulistan. Now it is open five days a week (Sunday - Thursday) from 9 AM to 5 PM. No Tickets or Fee is needed to get entrance.There are two galleries, one is reserved for stamps only. This is a Key Point Installations of Bangladesh so photography is prohibited inside the museum. )  => Array ( [name] => Bangladesh Military Museum [post_id] => 11193 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/bangladesh-military-museum/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Bangladesh_Military_Museum1-300x225.jpg [post_content] => After the liberation war in 1971, a complete military force was established by the Bangladeshi Government. To let people know about the glorious history of Bangladesh Military forces, the military museum was open in 2004. It is located in Bijoy Sharani under the Sher-e-Bangla nagar thana area. It is situated beside the Novo Theater. It is open for all and no ticket money is needed. The time schedule of this Bangladesh Military Museum: From Saturday to Thursday:10 AM- 6 PM, Friday: 3-6 PM, Wednesday: Off. Bangladesh Military Museum is closed on Government holidays without 16th December and 26th March. Inside the hall there are two large rooms and in the outside ground you will see 26 different models tanks and others armored vehicles. )  => Array ( [name] => Nazrul Memorial Center [post_id] => 21924 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/nazrul-memorial-center/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Nazrul-Memorial-Center-3-300x169.jpg [post_content] =>
Our National poet Kazi Nazrul Islam was born in Churulia of Burdwan(বর্ধমান) district, West Bengal on May 25, 1899. He spent a year of his boyhood in Kazir Shimla (কাজীর শিমলা) and Darirampur (দরিরামপুর) in Trishal, Mymensingh. He studied at Darirampur High School when he was in Class Seven and lodged at the house of Bechutia Bepari (বিচুতিয়া বেপারী) at Namapara, as his school was far from Kazir Shimla. In that regard, Namapara is given more importance than Kazir Shimla, say locals. Later, Kazi Rafizullah, a sub-inspector of police, took Nazrul to his village home at Kazir Shimla in 1914.
Nazrul memorabilia is symbolized by two Smriti Kendro (স্মৃতি কেন্দ্র) (Nazrul Memorial Center) in villages Kazir Shimla and Namapara, of Darirampur, Trishal draw the attention of visitors far and wide.
Nazrul memorabilia housed at the two center owns gramophones and records (released by His Masters Voice Company); manuscripts in Bengali, English, Hindi and Urdu and some rare black and white photographs of the poet. The memorabilia can be seen on the second floor of the center. The memorial centres also house a library with books authored by Nazrul and literary works on Nazrul by other writers.
Though the memorabilia collection is meagre, visitors flock enthusiastically to have a view. As every year, there has been a rush of visitors to the two Nazrul Smriti Kendra (memorial centres) at Kazir Shimla village and Darirampur in Trishal just ahead of the birth anniversary of the National Poet.) )
Questions, issues or concerns? I'd love to help you!