The great Baliati Palace (বালিয়াটি জমিদার বাড়ি) is located at the Saturia Upazila of Manikganj(সাটুরিয়া, মানিকগঞ্জ) district, in the village of Baliati. This historic building is about 200 years of old. A river named Gazikhali(গাজীখালী নদী) which is demised interim of the time, flowed at the northern side of the palace.
The palace is situated on a lush and sprawling premise, approximately 16000 square meter. There are possibly 200 rooms available inside the premise. Back side of the palace has a pond having four ghats(ঘাট). Other side of the pond has a series of sanitary lavatory.
The story starts more than hundred and fifty years ago when the Baliati Zamindars were still a force to be reckoned with in Bangladesh, situated about 35 miles northwest of Dhaka and 5 miles east of Manikgonj district headquarters. The palaces used to be also known as “Dosh-ani-Zaminder bari” due to inheritance of a portion of the main complex from Roy Chand by the well wishers of his first wife among the Zaminders. Kishorilal Roy Chowdhury and Roybahadur Harendra Kumer Roy Chowdhury realized soon enough the necessity of knowledge which compelled them to establish the Jagarnath College and K.L Jubily High school. The Baliati Zaminderbari originally consisted of five similar but separate blocks. The south façade of grand palace presents an attractive frontage of about 400 feet of the extant four blocks of the palace, the two central blocks are two-storied and the other two terminal ones are three-storied. The lofty encircling walls of the imposing Zaminderbari complex are punctuated by three superb gateways, identical in their architectural features. This remarkable complex has been acquired by the Bangladesh archeological department and has been given a new name “Baliati Palace” as a protected cultural property.In exploring the expressiveness of this marvelous structure with time, culture and mood, the attached twelve snaps tell the story by dividing it into three constituent parts. First part expresses the thematic preamble of time and prestige, and style. The second part sequentially put expedition of the underlying interior in the picture capturing architectural details, vista and shape and shadow. Last part tells the present story of the exterior in light of the surrounding at present. In short, the justification of making this sequential development to bring the whole story inside out from it’s behind theme to the present.
It is located at the Saturia Upazila of Manikganj district. After reaching at Manikganj, take local transport to reach there.
There are many bus services start from Gabtoli and Gulistan to any places in Manikganj. Those are for example, BRTC Bus Service, Shuvojatra Bus Service, Padma Line etc. The fare is 40/-
Aricha Launch Ghat, Manikganj to pabna/kajirhat. Fare is 35/-
From Paturia to Rajbari. fare is 30/-
1. Manikganj residential boarding (Private)
208, Shahid Rafique Road, Manikganj, Bangladesh
Room and bed number:
singel- 16, Double- 10
2. Nobin Residential Boarding (Private)
Manikganj basstand, Beside Nobin cinema hall, Manikganj, Bangladesh
Room and bed number:
singel- 15, Double- 7
3. District Council Board house (Government)
Beside Shahid Miraj Tapan Stadium, Manikganj, Bangladesh
There are restaurants nearby to check on.
During the period of Maharaja Pran Narayan "Rsik Ray bigroho" happened in 1634 and in that time the origin of tushvandar Murari dev Ghosal Vottacharjo from 24 porgona/Kolkata's Jay nagar came in Koach bihar and in upuonchouki matter get a taluk anstarted to live here. During that time to do religious work land was given by upenchouki matter. Murari dev disagree to take the donation of the shudro king's beacuse he is a brammon. He appealed to take rent for the land. After that the queen agreed to take paddy bran as rent. Dew to give rent as paddy bran it was stored near landlord house in the east side and after it was sent to the Koachbihar kings house. With this bran many religious events happened in the king’s house. People says that, for the stored bran this place was named as tushvandar. By brammahan murari dev vottacharja the landlord of tushvandar was declared. And in 1935 with his death as long 400 years land owner was came into an end.)  => Array ( [name] => Dayarampur Rajbari [post_id] => 17288 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/dayarampur-rajbari-2/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Dayarampur-Rajbari18-300x225.jpg [post_content] =>
Dayarampur Rajbari (দয়ারামপুর রাজবাড়ি) is located in Bagatipara Upazila, inside of the Qadirabad Cantonment under the administration of Bangladesh Army. After taking the oath of the Zamindari, Pramadanath (প্রমদানাথ) Roy (1873-1925), the elder son of then Dighapatia King Promothonath (প্রমথনাথ) Roy (1849-1883), established the Junior Raj Dayarampur Estate in a place named Nondikuza (নন্দীকুজা) on the bank of river Boral and built this Rajbari for his three younger brothers. They are Kumar Bosontokumar Roy (1874-1925), Kumar Sharatkumar Roy (1876-1946) and Kumar Hemendrakumar Roy (1877-1943).
This place was named after Dayaram (দয়ারাম) Roy (1680-1760), the great efficient Dewan of Queen Bhabani (1716-1795) of Natore and the establisher of Dighapatia Royal Family. After the death of Kumar Bosontokumar Roy, Kumar Sharatkumar Roy took the responsibility of the whole Dayarampur Estate and stayed this palace till death. After the eradication of Zamindar dominion, they went to India.
Source: History of Natore, by Samar Pal)  => Array ( [name] => Alexander Castle [post_id] => 21791 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/alexander-castle/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/P_20151013_170743_1_p-300x169.jpg [post_content] =>
Alexander Castle is one of the most amazing and renowned structure in Mymensingh District. It was built by Maharaja Suryo Kanta Acharya Chowdhury(মহারাজ সুর্যকান্ত আচার্য চৌধুরী) in 1879 in the memory of the 1st zilla magistrate of Mymensingh Mr. N .S Alexander at the time of Jubili festival. It covers an area of 27.155 acres.
It is a nice small archaic building having two Greek statue at both sides of the front gate. Though the arms of those statues are currently broken, but still those looks great. The whole building is placed over a high plinth, probably to avoid the flood from the nearness river.
It cost 45000 taka at that time. Alexander Castle is a two storied building made by metals and woods in a high concrete base. This building was used as a rest house for the guests of Maharaja Maharaja Soshi Kanta Acharya Chowdhury. Many great personalities of the world stayed at this castle when visiting Mymensingh city. Nobel Laureate poet Rabindranath Tagore arrived in Mymensingh around the midday of 15 February 1926. He stayed in the Alexander Castle as a guest for 4days. Mahatma Gandhi also stayed in this castle in 1926.
Lord carzon, Chittaranjan Das, Nawab Sir Salimullah, Kamal Pasha also visited Alexander Castle. This house was decorated by royal furnitures and items at that time. There is a big field in front of this house. You can see two fascinating silver statue which makes the place more beautiful. There is also a big garden and a pond still remains behind the castle. It is said that Maharaja used to keep big cats in his garden so he surrounded the garden with big still cages.At present this house is being used as library of teachers training college(male) in Mymensingh.)  => Array ( [name] => Nagar Kasba [post_id] => 8573 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/nagar-kasba/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Nogor-Kosba-2-300x169.jpg [post_content] => Kasba (কসবা) is an administrative unit of the Sultani rulers (1342-1576). The administrative units, such as Iqta(ইকতা), Erta (ইরতা), Iqlim (ইখলিম), and Kasba (কসবা) have been mentioned in the contemporary texts. So far 37 Kasbas could be traced in the region of Bangladesh, most of which had been within or near about the present district towns. The distance between one Kasba from another varied. It is noticed that official titles were associated with some of the kasbas. We can exemplify Kazir Kasba (কাজীর কসবা), Kotowaler Kasba(কোতওয়ালির কসবা), Nagar Kasba(নগর কসবা) etc. Considering the location, distance of one from another, communication system with the central or Provincial Capital, attachment of official titles etc it is assumed that Kasba were administrative units and were equivalent to districts. An administrative officer, a Quazi (কাজী) and a Kotwal(কোতওয়াল) were in charge of a Kasba. In this complex of many buildings we can detect several names of businessman who built those in different period of time in 19th Century. While most of the Kasbas lost their former importance during the Mughal period, Munshiganj, or Bikrampur, as it was known earlier, flourished as an important district through a rich combination of education, economy, literary & cultural pursuits. Therefore, the Nagar Kasba of Munshiganj stood with its importance through the course of time. It is believed that during the British rule, especially during the later part of the 19th century, Nagar Kasba was rebuilt as a residential area of wealthy predominantly Hindu business people, who mostly traded through the river port of Mirkadim. After the Partition of India (1947), it is believed that most of the Hindu wealthy families migrated to Kolkata. Those who decided to stay back, to tend to their established businesses soon began to find it difficult. As sporadic communal riots continued, the exodus continued till the late 1950s. Families often left silently at night, leaving behind all their belongings. Those who still chose to stay, almost completely left for India during our Liberation War in 1971. During these dire times, most of these full-furnished wealthy houses fell vacant and remained untended for a long time. Gradually, over time, these empty houses began to be taken over by influential locals. The descendents of these grabbers now own these properties, and live in the dilapidated buildings. It therefore is not surprising that a house that looks like it was purposely built for Hindu owners now adorns the names of Muslim people. Even in its latest hay days in the later part of the 19th century, Nagar Kasba was a row of magnificent houses, mostly of two floors, though not too large, but built in British colonial styles. The intricate designs and motifs that remain on the walls and pillars are testament to the wealth and taste of the owners. Unfortunately, almost all are now in ruins, where some have even been demolished by present day owners. ) )
Questions, issues or concerns? I'd love to help you!