Girish Chandra Sen also known as Bhai Girish Chandra Sen ( ভাই গিরিশ চন্দ্র সেন), a Brahmo Samaj missionary, was the first person to complete the translation of the Qur’an into Bengali in 1886. It was his finest contribution to Bengali literature. Born in the village of Panchdona of Narsingdi in 1835 in the famed Dewan Baidya clan, he learnt Persian and Sanskrit in early life and started working as a copywriter in the court of the deputy magistrate in Mymensingh. He also taught for a short while at the Mymensingh Zilla School before engaging wholeheartedly in journalism and literary activities. He was attracted to the Brahmo Samaj under the influence of Keshub Chunder Sen and Bijoy Krishna Goswami and joined it as a missionary in 1871. He traveled through India and Burma to propagate his new faith.
The plasters on the walls of this two floor house have almost completely fallen off, baring the brick work, which is covered in a thick moss. The ceilings on both the floors have entirely caved in. Trees have grown all over the walls, thereby creating large cracks. The wood work from doors and windows is completely stolen. To overcome those destruction and deterioration of this old House owned by this famous Scholar, Government has taken necessary steps to renovate the building immediately.
In the year of 1869, Keshub Sen chose four persons amongst his missionaries and ordained them as professors of four old religions of the world. Girish Chandra was selected to study Islam. The others selected to study different religions were Gour Govinda Ray for Hinduism, Protap Chandra Mazoomdar for Christianity, and Aghore Nath Gupta for Buddhism.
This was a time, when even translating religious scripts from Islam was considered as desecration of the sanctity of the scripts. The Holy Qur’an was considered too sacred for translation, as such most of the Muslim scholars refrained from even trying.
A firm believer in the basic unity of all religions, Girish immersed himself in his studies and later went to Lucknow in 1876 to study Arabic, Islamic literature and the Islamic religious texts. He was involved in intense studies for about five years. His keen interest in different religions and his liberal outlook earned him the respect of followers of other religions.
On completion of his studies, he returned to Kolkata and engaged in translation of Islamic scriptures. After hard labor of six years from 1881-1886, he produced an annotated Bengali version of the Qur’an via Persian.
Girish Chandra wrote and published a total of 42 books in Bengali. His books were greatly appreciated by the Muslim community which referred to him as ‘Bhai Girish Chandra’. The Muslim society, in his days, respected him enormously and gave him the title of a Maulavi.
Girish Chandra Sen spoke fluently in Bengali, Urdu & Persian. A simple soft-spoken person, he endeared himself to all those who came in contact with him. His autobiography, ‘Atmajivani’ (আত্মজীবনী), was published in 1906. He passed away in 1910.
Where to Stay
1) Circuit House, Narsingdi (Government)
2) District Council Postal Bungalow (Government)
Postal Bungalow Road, Narsingdi
3) Dak bungalows (Government)
Roads and public departments, Narsingdi
4) Rest House (Government)
Civil surgeon’s office, Narsingdi
5) Rest House (Government)
LGED Office, Narsingdi
6) Hotel Nirala
Library parti, Narsingdi market, Narsingdi
7) Hotel Al-Arafat
215/1 siendabi Road, busstation, Narsingdi
8) Hotels Mamataj
Patilbari Road, Narsingdi
9) Hotel Aziz
Patilbari Road, Narsingdi
10) Hotel Riyaj
Patilbari Road, Narsingdi
Phone: 946 to 516
11) Hotel Tanim
Patilbari Road, Narsingdi
 => Array
[name] => Khelaram Datar Kotha
[post_id] => 10252
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/andharkotha-khelaram-datar-kotha/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/18-225x300.jpg
Previously, the actual color of Khelaram Datar Kotha (খেলারাম দাতার কোঠা) was reddish (first three photographs added). But after a renovation done by the Department of archaeology, it is colored white now.
Possibly the most intriguing, interesting and uniquely confusing archeological structures of Nawabganj is the Khelaram Daata’r Kotha, which has recently been renovated. Yet they have not put up a sign board describing the building.
It is confusing, who was Khelaram? What was he known for? What is this building all about? What is the story behind it? When was it built? One could come up with several such questions, but apparently there isn’t much available documentation. It’s hardly possibly to rely on local folklore, as that is far more fiction than facts. To start with some confusion, some say the name of the founder of this structure was Khelaram Dutta, Banglapedia mentions him as Khelaram Dada, while the locals say he was known as Khelaram Daata.
According to Banglapedia he was a Zamindar, but the locals claim he was a dacoit. Since Banglapedia mentions nothing about him apart from naming him as Zamindar Khelaram Dada. So, there isn’t any other way except relating oral history along with the information of Banglapedia.
Some 200 years ago, there lived a ferocious dacoit named Khelaram, who was dreaded by the rich, but loved by the poor, because similar to Robin Hood, he generously donated much of his spoils from each mission amongst the poor people. Hence he was known as “Daata” the beneficent. But he still retained quite a bit and needed to store the loot. So he built this structure consisting of many rooms just overnight (within a short time). The building had five floors (it now has only two) and the roof had a large tank. There still is a large pond nearby. Poor people had to come to this pond to bathe, and anything they asked for was granted.
Oral History Or Myth :
Khelaram was extremely obedient to his mother. She once wanted to drink some milk and eat some ripened bananas, so Khelaram arranged the rooftop tank to be filled to the brim with ripened bananas and pure milk, so she could swim there and eat and drink to her heart’s content. But one day something Khelaram did severely angered his mother. She sternly rebuked and cursed him and then left for a bath in the pond. But as soon as she left the building, three floors of the building simply sank into the ground, leaving only the top two floors to be seen over the surface. Khelaram was not seen any more from then. Some believe he got trapped in one of the lower floors. Some believe he drowned in the pond, trying to save his mother. Within a short time, all his belongings got stolen, leaving behind just an empty house.
 => Array
[name] => Chistia Palace (Jahajbari) (dose not exist anymore)
[post_id] => 8712
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/chistia-palace-jahajbari/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Dhanmondi-11-300x225.jpg
[post_content] => Chistia Palace was a magnificent architectural structure in Sat Mosjid Road, Dhanmondi. For built this building on illegally occupied land, Bangladesh govt. demolished it fewdays back. So, this buildin does not exist anymore. This place was mostly known as "Jahajbari" among the local people. This house was built in 1993 as a residential place cum office of a mysterious man named Sher-e-Khawja. We did not know much about this man. The front corner of the house is now shaped as a of a ship so that in Bengali it is called Jahajbari but when it was built, it was not designed like that. After a renovation of Dhanmondi Lake by the government for creating a lakeside pavement cum walkway, the boundary of the house was reconstructed as a ship alike shape. From the internet we came to know that there is an NGO named WEPDO which was founded by Mr. Sher-e-Khawja. Some activities of this NGO has last seen in 2011 and now it is believed that the organization has stopped working after the death of its founder Mr. Sher-e-Khawja in 2011.
 => Array
[name] => Bangladesh Parliament
[post_id] => 5737
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/national-parliament-house/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/National-Parliament-of-Bangladesh-naimul1-300x200.jpg
Bangladesh Parliament or 'House of the Nation' or 'Jatiyo Shangsad' is located in capital Dhaka with area of 208 acres. It was designed by Louis Isadore Kahn and made of concrete and marble showing a rich blend of ancient and modern architecture. Use of different geometrical shape and floating outlook are some different attractions of this glorious creation. You can visit only surroundings and lakes of the Parliament as it is not open for all.
Parliament of Bangladesh is a unicameral legislature consisting of 350 members of which 300 Members from 300 territorial constituencies that is one from each constituency, on the basis of adult Franchise. The remaining 50 seats are reserved for women who are elected by the aforesaid elected Members in accordance with law on the basis of procedure of proportional representation in the Parliament through Single Transferable Vote. This provision for 50 reserved women seats will continue for ten years from the beginning of the 9th Parliament.
As per provision of clause (3) of article 72 of the Constitution, the term of a Parliament is five years. It is ordinarily dissolved on completion of five years from the date of its first meeting after the general elections. The President has the authority to dissolve the Parliament earlier, if at any time he is satisfied that there is no Members of Parliament. The term of Parliament can be extended beyond 5 years by an Act of Parliament by not more than one year at a time when the Republic is engaged in war.
 => Array
[name] => Gouripur Lodge
[post_id] => 22266
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/gouripur-lodge/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/P_20151014_090510_1_p-300x169.jpg
[post_content] => Gouripur Lodge (গৌরীপুর লজ) is a signature of golden Zamindari period and an old edifice in Mymensingh town. This archaic building is located near the main town. One can go there using rickshaw easily. It is very near to the Boro Bazar. Though, the purpose and time of establishment is not known to all; however, it can be discovered if further research is conducted there.
It was made using iron, tin and wood. Structure of the building is similar to the Zamindar Mansion of that period. History tells that it was built by Brozendra Kishor Ray Chowdhury (ব্রজেন্দ্র কিশোর রায় চৌধুরী).
Now it is being used as Sonali Bank Corporate office of Mymensingh city. Government officers and few of their subordinates are currently living at that mansion. It has around 20 rooms inside. Anyone can visit there at anytime. You may not have the permission to enter inside, but easily can get access to the mansion premises.