Kismat-Maria Mosque (কিসমত-মারিয়া মসজিদ) is the academic name, where local people knows this as Durgapur mosque (দুর্গাপুর মসজিদ). The mosque is located at the Maria (মারিয়া) village, adjacent to village Kismat (কিসমত), that’s why it is called Kismat-Maria Masjid.
It is totally unknown about any sort of historical information. No inscription available at the doorway or anywhere. Even the government doesn’t have any document or info regarding this. To add insult to the injury, the local people cannot remember anything about this mosque either. It’s a total mystery.
It is certain that the mosque was built several hundred years back. It is having three domes at the top. Four ornate pillars at the four sides of the mosque. Eastern side of the mosque is having three entrances. The mosque is built over a 2-3 feet of high base. The domes of the mosque is similar to the Kartalab Khan’s Mosque at Old Dhaka.
The mosque has a small house type of building at the southern side. This is another great archaeological object from our Bangladesh.
1) Come to Shibpur Bazar (শিবপুর বাজার) from Rajshahi town. It will be 25-30 minutes of ride using local bus for 10 taka fare. GPS is (24°22’52.71″N, 88°46’12.79″E).
2) Using Tempo/Votvoti (ভটভটি), go to the village Pali (পালি গ্রাম). It will be 5 taka per person. GPS is (24°24’41.52″N, 88°46’43.75″E).
3) From the Pali village (পালি গ্রাম), take a van or similar things to go to the mosque. Better hire the van for round trip, otherwise you have to walk while returning.
It is approximately 261 km away from Dhaka. Bus, Train and Air Plane are available as transportation service from and to Rajshahi districts.
Transportation in Rajshahi is very good. There is bus service; taxi cabs, three-wheeler auto rickshaw and horse-driven tomtom are available to move within the city. Rajshahi is well connected to the rest of country through roads, air, rail and water.
There are two intercity bus terminals in the city. It takes about 5 to 6 hours by road to reach the capital. A number of bus services, including air-conditioned and non-air conditioned buses, are available to and from Dhaka. Bus services to other major cities and district’s headquarter are also available from Rajshahi.
Bangladesh Railway’s western zone head office is located in this city. Three Inter-City train services are operated by Bangladesh Railway, named “Silk City Express” “Padma Express” and “Dhumketu Express” between Dhaka and Rajshahi regularly. There are other inter-city, mail and local trains operated from here to connect Khulna city and other part of the country.
Shah Makhdum Airport is the primary airport serving the city. It is named after the Islamic preacher Hazrat Shah Makhdum (Rh.) is situated a short distance away from Rajshahi city. Domestic flights from Dhaka and Saidpur are available.
NAME OF SERVICE DEPARTURE TIME Phone No.
Green Line (Volvo) 08:30AM, 03:15PM, 11:30PM 01730-060080
Hanif Enterprise 04:30AM to 11:30PM (with every 30 minutes interval) 0173-402670
Shyamoli Paribahan 05:00AM to 12:00Pm (with every 1 hour interval) 02-900331, 02-8034275.
Modern Enterprise 06:00AM to 12:00Pm (with every 1 hour interval) 9123743, 327293, 806099
Train name: Silkcity Express
Train Number: 753
Train Route: Dhaka – Rajshahi – Dhaka
Starting Station: Dhaka
Starting Time: 1440
Destination Station: Rajshahi
Arrival Time: 2050
Time Taken: 6 Hours 10 Minutes
⇒ Prayer Place
⇒ Government defined foods and drinks with defined prices
⇒ Public Toilet
⇒ Booklets and magazines (have to buy)
⇒ Walking facilities between one compertment to another if needed
⇒ Government Railway Police (GRP) gaurd all the time
⇒ Very less chance to accident
⇒ Different Class for luxery or saving money
⇒ You can see the natural beauty by the window beside you
⇒ Cheap than any service
1. Hotel Red Castle
Hotel Red Castle is a nice guest house for accommodation. It is situated at the centre point of Rajshahi district. The river Padma is very near from the hotel. Anyone can easily go anywhere in the city from the hotel. Moreover the rent of the hotel is also very cheap. It has 13 rooms in 2 floors. Room Fare: Single A/C BDT 1,000/-, Double A/C BDT 2,200/- to BDT 3,200/- Have to add 15% VAT and 5% Service charge. Address: Serushar Para, College Road, Boalia,Rajshahi.
2. Hotel Sukarna International
কাপড় পট্টির গলি Rajshahi, Bangladesh
3. Haq’s Inn
Extra Facilities: Boiled water, Television, Car Parking, Attached Bath
Address: Bir Srestha Captain Mohiuddin Zahangir Sarani, Shiroil, Rajshahi-6100.
Phone: 810420, 810421
Rates: 250 to 1400 BDT
4. Hotel Dalas International
Extra Facilities: Boiled Water, Television for Each Room, Car Parking, Attached Bath.
Phone: 811470, 773839,
Address: Bindur More, Rail Gate, Rajshahi
Rates: 350 to 1600 BDT
5. Hotel Mukta International
Extra Facilities: Boiled Water, Television for Each Room, Car Parking, Attached Bath.
Address: Ganakpara, Shaheb Bazar, Rajshahi
Phone: 771100, 771200
Rates: 250 to 1500 BDT
6. Hotel Mid Town International
Extra Facilities: Boiled water, Television, Telephone, Dining, Attached Bath
Address: Shaheb Bazar (Be side of Zero Point), Rajshahi
Phone: 774961, 811528
Rates: 300 to 900 BDT
Other accommodation facilities in Rajshahi are as follows:
Porjoton Motel (0721-775237), Hotel al Hasib (Ganokpara, Boalia), Hotel Moon (Shahebbazar, Boalia), Hotel Radar, Hotel hox Inn (Shroil, Boalia, Rajshahi), Hotel Jomjom (Hetmotha, Boalia), Hotel Prince (Ganokpara, Boalia), Hotel Saikat (Laxmipur mor), Islami Abasik Hotel (Laxmipur, Razpara), Hotel Sukanna International (Somobay Super Market), Hotel Nice International (Ganokpara), Hotel Sky (Molopara, Boalia), Hotel Heaven (Sharoil Bazar, Boalia), Hotel Elegent (Ganokpara, Boalia).
You need to search for local restaurants nearby.
Previously, the actual color of Khelaram Datar Kotha (খেলারাম দাতার কোঠা) was reddish (first three photographs added). But after a renovation done by the Department of archaeology, it is colored white now.
Possibly the most intriguing, interesting and uniquely confusing archeological structures of Nawabganj is the Khelaram Daata’r Kotha, which has recently been renovated. Yet they have not put up a sign board describing the building.
It is confusing, who was Khelaram? What was he known for? What is this building all about? What is the story behind it? When was it built? One could come up with several such questions, but apparently there isn’t much available documentation. It’s hardly possibly to rely on local folklore, as that is far more fiction than facts. To start with some confusion, some say the name of the founder of this structure was Khelaram Dutta, Banglapedia mentions him as Khelaram Dada, while the locals say he was known as Khelaram Daata.
According to Banglapedia he was a Zamindar, but the locals claim he was a dacoit. Since Banglapedia mentions nothing about him apart from naming him as Zamindar Khelaram Dada. So, there isn’t any other way except relating oral history along with the information of Banglapedia.
Some 200 years ago, there lived a ferocious dacoit named Khelaram, who was dreaded by the rich, but loved by the poor, because similar to Robin Hood, he generously donated much of his spoils from each mission amongst the poor people. Hence he was known as “Daata” the beneficent. But he still retained quite a bit and needed to store the loot. So he built this structure consisting of many rooms just overnight (within a short time). The building had five floors (it now has only two) and the roof had a large tank. There still is a large pond nearby. Poor people had to come to this pond to bathe, and anything they asked for was granted.
Oral History Or Myth :
Khelaram was extremely obedient to his mother. She once wanted to drink some milk and eat some ripened bananas, so Khelaram arranged the rooftop tank to be filled to the brim with ripened bananas and pure milk, so she could swim there and eat and drink to her heart’s content. But one day something Khelaram did severely angered his mother. She sternly rebuked and cursed him and then left for a bath in the pond. But as soon as she left the building, three floors of the building simply sank into the ground, leaving only the top two floors to be seen over the surface. Khelaram was not seen any more from then. Some believe he got trapped in one of the lower floors. Some believe he drowned in the pond, trying to save his mother. Within a short time, all his belongings got stolen, leaving behind just an empty house.)  => Array ( [name] => Tokani Pal House [post_id] => 8643 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/tokani-pal-house/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/TPP-12-300x200.jpg [post_content] =>
Munshiganj, or Bikrampur as it was formerly known as home to a number of rich landlords and merchants, who lived in palatial houses, built on large estates. Most of these perished in course of time as the mighty Padma River devoured most of Bikrampur. Of all that remain in today’s Munshiganj, the largest is the house at Abdullahpur, known as Tokani Pal House (টোকানী পাল বাড়ি). There isn’t enough source to know about who built this house, but Tokani Pal, an elderly merchant from Barisal, bought this 7 acre estate and moved in here sometime in the early 1890s. His second wife Nabanga Sundary and all six sons from his two marriages accompanied him.
The estate now consists of 11 buildings and six ponds. The sprawling gardens have hundreds of trees – fruit bearing, medicinal, or for wood itself. And there were once several hundreds of flowering plants. But when Tokani arrived, the estate was in a mess. Kamini Pal, the eldest son of Tokani,took charge of cleaning up the estate. He chose a place to set up a temple, dedicated to Radha-Shyam, of whom they had been followers for generations. By this time, the masons of Abdullahpur had made a name in craftsmanship and expertise, and Arfan Ostagar was the most revered of all. He was hired, for a daily fee of five quarters and a pack of tobacco. His designer had to be paid an additional three quarters. A 15X6 feet room was planned to build, with a wide sprawling varanda, where followers could sing devotional songs every evening. The room would have a large platform, on which would rest a large metal statue of Radha-Shyam. The exterior wall would be decorated with fine ceramic designs. Once completed, the temple became a marvel, people from far and wide came over to see.
The Pal’s principal business was surrounded around the Kamala river port of Bikrampur, which was known as the Second Kolkata. Betelnuts, mustard, lentils etc would arrive from Barisal or Chandpur, and would be traded with Kolkata. Almost 20,000 laborers worked daily at this port, where the second largest wholesalers were the Pals. They set up warehouses at places as far as Barisal, Jhalokathhi or Shwarupkathhi, or Chandpur. Kamini Pal also became the most prominent money-lender. Dwarkanath became a prominent dealer in Kerosene oil. Other brothers also chipped in here and there. Business for the Pals was running well.
After the Partition of India, a large section of the family moved to Kolkata. Those who remained to protect the family businesses, soon found it difficult, as business with Kolkata became complicated. They had to explore new business avenues, but that wasn’t too easy.
In 1971, Hindus were being tortured or killed, their businesses were being shut down, their houses were being torched. The Pal estate being protected with a strong high boundary wall became a safe refuge, not only for members of this family, but for members of extended families, and also for friends and their families. About 500 people had found safe shelter here, until one dark night, when the Pakistani Army entered the compounds, killed several family members, and set the main houses of fire. The entire clan moved to India through Agartala.
Almost two years later, Shashadhar Pal, the second son of Dwarkanath Pal, who by then was head of the clan, returned with his family. But by this time major parts of the estate had been grabbed and taken over by others. He tried to revive some of the businesses, but did not quite succeed. His family members went back to Kolkata, but he decided to stay back, reminiscing his childhood memories, and gradually selling off part of their properties. He lived either in one of the houses within this estate, or in the other Pal House, which also was built by his uncle Kamini Pal several decades ago. He passed away in the late 1990s.)  => Array ( [name] => Hazrat Sharfuddin Abu Tawama [post_id] => 11327 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/hazrat-sharfuddin-abu-tawamas-mazar/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/DSC068241-300x225.jpg [post_content] =>
Hazrat Sharfuddin Abu Tawama’s Tomb and Mazar is situated just eastward to the Mosque in mazar Complex, connected to the Mazar of Hazrat Ibrahim Danish Mand. Without any inscriptional evidences, local people believe that this Grave is belong to the Hazrat Sharfuddin Abu Tawama. There are six graves in a row and second one from the east is belong to Hazrat Sharfuddin. This Mazar is surrounded by a fence wall. In that brick wall there is a stone inscription had been found. On the inscription a short description is written about the time period of a Mosque situated just west to the Mazar area.
Hazrat Sheik Sharfuddin Abu Tawama hails from Bhukhara. During the year 1274-1277, he came to then Sonargaon along with his family via Delhi and Manere of Bhiar. From Maner, a 17 years old pious boy Sheik Sharf-Uddin Yahia Manery took bayet in his hand and accompanied him to Sonargaon. Hazrat Sharf-Uddin Abu Tawama got the blessing of Hazrat Ibrahim Daneshmand (RA) who induldged him in establishing a Khankha to preach Islam in the area. He established Khanka to make the same one of the high standard educational institution with the help of his diciple Hazrat Sheik Sharf-Uddin Yahia Manery, who became the celebrated mentor and teacher of the Khanka.
Hazrat Sheik Sharfuddin Abu Tawama died in the year 1300 AD and buried within the premises of Darga Bari which is at the eastern side of Mograpara.
Unfotunitly the grave of Hazrat Sheik Sharfuddin Abu Tawama (RA) does not have any shed nor the place could be said very well maintained area.)  => Array ( [name] => Niyogi House [post_id] => 16728 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/niyogi-house/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/niyogee-house-8-300x200.jpg [post_content] =>
The Niyogi House (নিয়গি বাড়ি) is located at Pukur Para (পুকুর পাড়া) of Singair Upazila. It is a old house built by Ganesh Chandra Niyogi more than 100 years ago. The household comprises of three structures, the principal and largest one is in severe ruins. Not only has the entire roof fallen down, anything that once formed this roof has now disappeared. The large arched doors and windows including their frames too are not to be found anywhere. It had a spacious corridor running the length of the building inside.
Another large building, though too in a dilapidated state is currently being used as the hostel of the local college. The smallest structure that once served as the kitchen has been renovated and is currently being used as accommodation by the Head of the Department of Economics of the same institution. He was there to proudly show us around the premises.
Within the inner compound of the buildings, there is an old well, which shows more waste than water some fifteen feet below. Date inscribed there 1334 Falgun (ফালগুণ) on the wall of this well, declaring this to be at least 87 years old.) )
Questions, issues or concerns? I'd love to help you!