In 1895, Rabindranath Tagore came to Kushtia main town to set up his business. At that time, common Hindu families tend to set up family businesses among the partnership of family members. Tagore patronized his family business and established a private company named “Tagore and Company”. At that time Millpara was the industrial and commercial area to run businesses. So he set up this duplex building as the office of his business named as Tagore Lodge. This building was elongated to the east-west. The main gateway is in the north. Iron made spiral staircase is in the west. At the beginning the business growth was significant. But later he failed to make revenue and gave up.
Now this building has renovated and newly painted by both the governments of Bangladesh and India. A metal made statue of Ravindranath Tagore has been placed there. But the building opens occasionally, when people comes here with reference or guest from government official invitation can visit this lodge.
It is situated at the Millpara/Mohini Mill Area. It is at the edge of NS Road. From Mojompur (the central bus stand) it is only 5 taka auto rickshaw fare to reach Tagore Lodge.
You can travel to Kushtia from Dhaka by bus. Some of the bus services have been listed below for your assistance:
1. SB Super Deluxe
Gabtoli Counter, Phone: 02-9000627
Fare: TK 600 (AC), TK 450 (Non AC)
2. Shyamoli Paribahan
Gabtoli counter, Phone: 01711-987 028
There are some hotels in the district where you may consider staying in. Some of them have been listed below for your assistance:
1. Azmiree hotel
2. Desha Guest house
3. Hotel Al-Amin
4. Hotel Gold Star
5. Hotel River view
NS road is the Market area. You will find lots of restaurants in here.
The Lalon Akhra is very near from this place. Do not forget to visit The Shrine of Lalon Fakir
During 1850, the greater Gopalganj area was ruled by the Zamindar. At that time, they made hundreds of buildings for their residence and official purposes. The buildings were made in the traditional Zamindar Bari look and style. In the last 150 years, most of the houses were destroyed by erosion. After being taken by the government, the authority turned some of these houses into government buildings. Now, most of the houses are abandoned or occupied by local people.
There is a cluster of old buildings in the Ulpur Area which is situated in the Gopalgonj - Takerhat highway, not so far from the Gopalgonj main town. As soon as you cross the Ulpur bridge from Ulpur bazar, the buildings start to appear. The first one was used as the Union Land Office (Government) but is now abandoned. The local people over there are now using it to stock fodder.
The second was probably used as a duplex residential complex but now is being used as the Sub Post Office. The surrounding environment is good and the building is covered by bamboo stocks. In the main road, there is a large old building, which was probably the main building. Outside this building the words "Dinesh Dham" in Bengali is carved in a white slate. This building is currently occupied by some local inhabitants.
If we go farther, then we will see another broken house formerly used as the Upazilla Registry office, now almost completely in ruins. "Din-Dham" in Bengali is also carved outside he building in white stone.
The overall environment of this village is very good and peaceful. Walking for an hour in the silence of this area will be relaxing. The most attractive structure is the Temple. The walls of the temple is decorated with colorful glass & ceramics. The temple looks good but it is also abandoned so the temple has shifted into a newly constructed building.)  => Array ( [name] => House of Poet Quazi Kader Newaj [post_id] => 18491 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/house-of-poet-quazi-kader-newaj-2/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/house-of-poet-Quazi-Kader-Newaj2-300x225.jpg [post_content] =>
Historic and archaeological importance of the majestic house of poet Quazi Kader Newaj, an icon of Bangla literature, has been lying uncared in Sreepur upazila town under Magura district, as the authorities concerned are ignoring its tourism potentials.
The poet is specially recalled for his masterpiece of poetry ‘Shikhaker Marjada’. The poet was also a freedom fighter as he played an important role during the liberation war. He was also a good teacher. The poet and his kin were buried along this majestic building.
The splendid building still stands tall along the bank of the Kumar River beckoning the people passing by it to have a look of its grandeur and magnificence. None can resist the temptation of taking a look at the captivating old structure when one passes by it.
In the absence of proper maintenance and renovation, weeds have grown in and around the house while the mossy bricks are crumbling down from the decaying structure. The house has lost much of its charm of terracotta due to the authorities’ negligence. Locals have already taken away many of the bricks, plaques, wooden doors and windows. The house has become a safe haven for drug addicts and gamblers due to lack of proper initiatives for its preservation and maintenance. Local people use the building as their cowshed and it has turned into the public toilet.
Unfortunately, the government has done nothing to renovate the palace, though the historic site can fetch a large amount of revenue every year.)  => Array ( [name] => Rangpur Carmichael College [post_id] => 18930 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/rangpur-carmichael-college/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Carmichael-College-8-300x200.jpg [post_content] =>
Carmichael College is a part of heritage and history of Uttar Bongo (northern Bangladesh). It is indeed one of the oldest colleges in the country.
Rangpur Carmichael College (রংপুর কারমাইকেল কলেজ) is one of the most prestigious colleges of northern Bangladesh. It has a campus of almost 300 acres and is possibly the largest in the country, in terms of its area. It was established in 1916, with the generous help of several landlords, including Gopal Lal Roy Bahadur, Mohima Ranjan Roy, Babu Monidra Chandra Roy, Radha Ballav Saha and others. It boasts a large lush green campus with several uniquely designed buildings.
The first three colleges of the country were named only after the district headquarters where they were located (Dhaka College, 1841, Chittagong College, 1869, & Rajshahi College, 1873). Similarly this new institution could have been named Rangpur College. However, several institutions that had been founded in the districts of Barisal (Brojo Mohan College, 1884), Sylhet (Murari Chand College, 1892), Pabna (Edward College, 1898), Comilla (Victoria College, 1899), Mymensingh (Ananda Mohan College, 1901) & Khulna (Braja Lal College, 1902) had taken names after their patrons. So when Lord Baron Thomas David Gibson-Carmichael of Skirling, the then First Governor of Bengal, formally inaugurated the institution, it naturally took up the name Rangpur Carmichael College.
From the outset, this was under the governance of Calcutta University, and was only permitted to teach Arts subjects, both at Higher Secondary and Graduation level. Lord Lytton, the Governor of Bengal visited the college in 1922. He was amazed at the beauty of the campus, the fascinating infrastructure, and the quality of education that was being offered here. He immediately permitted the college to begin teaching science subjects. The same year, Calcutta University also permitted the college to begin graduation courses in Bangla, Sanskrit, Arabic, Persian, English, History, Philosophy, Political Science, Economics & Mathematics. Bachelor of Science degrees were introduced in 1925.
The college currently offers graduation courses in 17 disciplines and post graduation courses in 15 subjects. From the 2011-12 academic year, the college reopened the Higher Secondary courses, having put that on hold for 14 years. Rangpur Carmichael College was under the purview of Calcutta University till 1947, Dhaka University during 1947-1952, Rajshahi University during 1953-1992, and the National University thereafter.)  => Array ( [name] => Nahabatkhana [post_id] => 11529 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/nahabatkhana/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/IMG_34281-225x300.jpg [post_content] =>
Nahabatkhana (নহবতখানা) or Probeshdar (প্রবেশদ্বার) is one of the well known features in Mograpara, Sonargaon Upazila in Narayanganj. This gateway or entrance was built in at the end of 17th century. According to the description of 'Zames Wise' (civil surgeon of Dhaka in 1860s), it is located at South Ward from the Hazrat Abu Tawama Mazar and Ibrahim Mosque. There are two doors being traced on north & south side of this feature.
A story has been circulated among the local people that there was a musical Instrument around this feature which was being used for different purposes. Mainly, this instrument being used to awake people to take Seheri (সেহরি) and Iftar (ইফতার) at the month of Ramadan. Another notion is said that, it was being used to notify poor people and Musafir for Kangalivoj (কাঙ্গালিভোজ). This instrument was used for inviting people too. Now, one of the doorways of Nahabatkhana is used by public, and another one is preserved with less care.) )
Questions, issues or concerns? I'd love to help you!