Array
(
[0] => Array
(
[name] => Rangpur Carmichael College
[post_id] => 18930
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/bn/places/rangpur-carmichael-college/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Carmichael-College-8-300x200.jpg
[post_content] =>
Carmichael College is a part of heritage and history of Uttar Bongo (northern Bangladesh). It is indeed one of the oldest colleges in the country.
Rangpur Carmichael College (রংপুর কারমাইকেল কলেজ) is one of the most prestigious colleges of northern Bangladesh. It has a campus of almost 300 acres and is possibly the largest in the country, in terms of its area. It was established in 1916, with the generous help of several landlords, including Gopal Lal Roy Bahadur, Mohima Ranjan Roy, Babu Monidra Chandra Roy, Radha Ballav Saha and others. It boasts a large lush green campus with several uniquely designed buildings.
The first three colleges of the country were named only after the district headquarters where they were located (Dhaka College, 1841, Chittagong College, 1869, & Rajshahi College, 1873). Similarly this new institution could have been named Rangpur College. However, several institutions that had been founded in the districts of Barisal (Brojo Mohan College, 1884), Sylhet (Murari Chand College, 1892), Pabna (Edward College, 1898), Comilla (Victoria College, 1899), Mymensingh (Ananda Mohan College, 1901) & Khulna (Braja Lal College, 1902) had taken names after their patrons. So when Lord Baron Thomas David Gibson-Carmichael of Skirling, the then First Governor of Bengal, formally inaugurated the institution, it naturally took up the name Rangpur Carmichael College.
From the outset, this was under the governance of Calcutta University, and was only permitted to teach Arts subjects, both at Higher Secondary and Graduation level. Lord Lytton, the Governor of Bengal visited the college in 1922. He was amazed at the beauty of the campus, the fascinating infrastructure, and the quality of education that was being offered here. He immediately permitted the college to begin teaching science subjects. The same year, Calcutta University also permitted the college to begin graduation courses in Bangla, Sanskrit, Arabic, Persian, English, History, Philosophy, Political Science, Economics & Mathematics. Bachelor of Science degrees were introduced in 1925.
The college currently offers graduation courses in 17 disciplines and post graduation courses in 15 subjects. From the 2011-12 academic year, the college reopened the Higher Secondary courses, having put that on hold for 14 years.
Rangpur Carmichael College was under the purview of Calcutta University till 1947, Dhaka University during 1947-1952, Rajshahi University during 1953-1992, and the National University thereafter.
)
[1] => Array
(
[name] => {:en}Shahjalal University of Science and Technology{:}{:bn}শাহজালাল বিজ্ঞান ও প্রযুক্তি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়{:}
[post_id] => 4307
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/bn/places/shahjalal-university-of-science-and-technology/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/1st-Ladies_Hall_Rossi1011-300x183.jpg
[post_content] => {:en}
Shahjalal University of Science and Technology (Bengali: শাহজালাল বিজ্ঞান ও প্রযুক্তি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়) also known as SUST is a state supported not-for-profit research university located in Sylhet, Bangladesh. It is also one of the nine PhD granting research universities of Bangladesh.
The university was founded by the Government of Bangladesh according to a university act in 1986 to give special importance in science and technology education. It is the first specialized science & technology university of the country. After SUST, seven more science and technology universities have been established in Bangladesh.
SUST is traditionally known for research and education in the physical sciences and engineering. It is one of the most selective higher learning institutions, and received 40,881 undergraduate applicants for 2012-2013 session—only admitting 1,385, an acceptance rate of 3.39%.
Shahjalal University of Science and Technology was established in 1986. The campus is located in Kumargaon, approximately five kilometers away from the heart of Sylhet City Centre. The university started its academic programme with three departments: physics, chemistry and economics. The first convocation of SUST was held on 29 April 1998 and the second convocation held on 6 December 2007.
SUST is the first university in Bangladesh providing whole campus free Wi-Fi access for students & staffs. The university introduced an integrated honors course for the first time in Bangladesh and it introduced the semester system (American credit system) from the 1996-97 session. According to the masterplan for the university, within a few years Shahjalal University of Science and Technology will be one of the finest institutions of the region.
The university students invented and introduced the paperless 24/7 SMS Based Automated Registration of Admission Test procedure for the first time in Bangladesh. Interested students can complete the registration process through mobile phone messages. The contemporary government launched the system on 13 September 2009. For the invention, the University won an Ambillion Award in a competition of South Asian countries in 2010 and National Award for E-Content and ICT for Development Award 2010. Now, most of the public universities in Bangladesh have adopted this process of registration.
{:}{:bn}শাহজালাল বিজ্ঞান ও প্রযুক্তি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় (শাবিপ্রবি) হল বাংলাদেশের সিলেটে অবস্থিত একটি সরকারি অলাভজনক গবেষণা নির্ভর বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়। বাংলাদেশে পিএইচডি ডিগ্রী দানকারী ৯ টি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়ের একটি হল এটি।
বিজ্ঞান ও প্রযুক্তির প্রতি গুরুত্ব প্রদানের অংশ হিসেবে বাংলাদেশ সরকার ১৯৮৬ সালে এই বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়টি প্রতিষ্ঠা করে। পদার্থ, রসায়ন ও অর্থনীতি বিভাগ নিয়ে যাত্রা শুরু করা এই বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়ের প্রথম ও দ্বিতীয় সমাবর্তন যথাক্রমে ২৯ এপ্রিল ১৯৯৮ এবং ৬ ডিসেম্বর ২০০৭ তারিখে অনুষ্ঠিত হয়। বিজ্ঞান ও প্রযুক্তিতে বিশেষায়িত দেশের প্রথম বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় হল এটি। শাবিপ্রবির পর দেশে আরও সাতটি বিজ্ঞান ও প্রযুক্তি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় প্রতিষ্ঠা করা হয়।
পদার্থ বিজ্ঞান ও প্রযুক্তির ওপর পড়াশোনা এবং গবেষণা করার সুযোগ প্রদানের কারনে শাবিপ্রবির রয়েছে আলাদা সুনাম। মেধার চুলচেরা বিশ্লেষণ এবং তীব্র প্রতিযোগিতার কারনে এই বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়ে ভর্তি হওয়া খুবই কষ্টসাধ্য। ২০১২-১৩ শিক্ষা বছরে এই বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়ে ভর্তি হতে ইচ্ছুক মোট ৪০,৮৮১ জন দরখাস্তকারীর মধ্যে ১৩৮৫ জন ভর্তির সুযোগ লাভ করে।
বাংলাদেশের প্রথম বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় হিসেবে শাবিপ্রবি ছাত্র, কর্মচারীদের জন্য পুরো ক্যাম্পাসে ওয়াইফাই প্রযুক্তি চালু করে। এছাড়াও দেশে প্রথমবারের মত এই বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় সমষ্টিগত অনার্স কোর্স চালু করে এবং ১৯৯৬-৭ শিক্ষাবছর থেকে সেমিস্টার পদ্ধতিতে পাঠদান শুরু করে। বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়ের মহা পরিকল্পনা অনুযায়ী অচিরেই এই বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়টি অত্র অঞ্চলের সেরা বিদ্যাপীঠে পরিনত হবে।
এই বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়ের শিক্ষার্থীরা ভর্তি পরীক্ষার সময় মোবাইল ফোনে এসএমএসের মাধ্যমে স্বয়ংক্রিয়ভাবে নিবন্ধনের প্রক্রিয়া উদ্ভাবন করে। ২০০৯ সালের ১৩ সেপ্টেম্বর তৎকালীন সরকার এই প্রক্রিয়াটি চালু করেন। বর্তমানে বেশীর ভাগ সরকারি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়তেই এই স্বয়ংক্রিয় প্রক্রিয়ায় নিবন্ধন করা হয়ে থাকে। এই উদ্ভাবনের স্বীকৃতিস্বরূপ শাবিপ্রবি ২০১০ সালে দেশে বিদেশে বিভিন্ন পুরস্কার অর্জন করেছে।{:}
)
[2] => Array
(
[name] => {:en}Bogra Zilla School{:}{:bn}বগুড়া জেলা স্কুল{:}
[post_id] => 742
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/bn/places/bogra-zilla-school/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/1024px-Bogra_Zilla_School_Academic_Building1-300x194.jpg
[post_content] => {:en}
Bogra Zilla School (Bengali: বগুড়া জিলা স্কুল) is the oldest high school in the Bogra district of Bangladesh and one of the top-ranked schools in the country. It provides education from class three (Grade-3) to class ten (Grade-10). It was a private English medium school before becoming a public school.
Bogra Zilla School was established in 1853. Babu Bhagabati Charan Ghosh was the first headmaster. It was a private (non-government) school before becoming a public one. It came under governmental management through the efforts of then magistrate and collector Mr. Russell and deputy collector Babu S. Mukharjee. This school observed its 150th anniversary celebration in 2005.
Bogra Zilla School was the second government high school in the Bogra district during British rule. Babu Bhagabati Charan Ghosh was appointed Headmaster of the school and held the post for six years. Bogra's native son Babu Kishoree Lal Roy, who is the author of many philosophical writings, was an early student of this school. In his book Free Enquiry after Truth he wrote, “In 1853 a Government English school was established here and I obtained my entrance into it. My progress in this institution has been remarked by its first and best of its Headmasters that ever were, to have been remarkably rapid. Be it said with deep respect and gratitude that under the judicious tuition of Babu Bhagabati Charan Ghosh I obtained a useful knowledge of the English language within about four years and a half. I have always thought Bhahabati Babu to be one of my greatest benefactors on Earth and will think so for ever also.”
There were four teachers during the period of Bhagabati Babu. According to the National School Committee, the school appears to have beeb founded principally by the sons and relatives of the clerks' officers connected with the Courts. After Bhagabati Babu, A. C. Mukharjee became Headmaster in 1859. During his tenure, two students passed in 2nd division, and one passed in 1st division with scholarship in 1862. Around this time, the practice of giving books as rewards to the students of both Bangla and English schools based on their performance was started.
During the prize-giving ceremony more than a hundred taka used to be spent for fireworks. During 1859–60, the inspector of the schools of the north-east areas and Assam, Mr. W. Robinson, conducted the ceremony. He arranged a demonstration with a magic lantern for their entertainment and showed many interesting and educative events of nature such as the motions of the stars and planets, a solar and lunar eclipse, a cyclone, etc. From 1881 to 1885, a school building was constructed of bricks.
In 1873–74, there were six teachers, one pundit, and one moulavi in the school. There were 85 students in 1860–61. In 1907–08, the number of students was 363. Among them, 218 were Hindus and 145 were Muslims.
The school now has 52 faculty members and 4000 students. The faculty members are graduates from universities in Bangladesh, and student applicants, mostly from top elementary schools, are put through a competitive admission selection process.
{:}{:bn}
বাংলাদেশের বগুড়া জেলার সবচেয়ে প্রাচীন হাইস্কুল হচ্ছে বগুড়া জেলা স্কুল। এটি দেশের প্রথম সারির অন্যতম একটি স্কুল। এখানে তৃতীয় শ্রেণী থেকে দশম শ্রেণী পর্যন্ত শিক্ষা প্রদান করা হয়। সরকারি স্কুল হওয়ার পূর্বে এটি একটি বেসরকারি ইংরেজি মধ্যম স্কুল ছিল।
১৮৫৩ সালে বগুড়া জেলা স্কুল প্রতিষ্ঠা করা হয়। বাবু ভগবতি চরণ ঘোষ ছিলেন এটির প্রথম প্রধান শিক্ষক। সরকারি স্কুল হওয়ার পূর্বে এটি একটি বেসরকারি স্কুল ছিল। তৎকালীন ম্যাজিসট্রেট এবং কালেক্টর জনাব রাসেল এবং ডেপুটি কালেকটর বাবু এস মুখারজির প্রচেষ্টায় স্কুলটি সরকারি ব্যাবস্থাপনার অধীনে আসে। ২০০৫ সালে স্কুলটি এটির ১৫০ তম প্রতিষ্ঠা বার্ষিকী পালন করে।
ইংরেজ শাসনামলে বগুড়া জেলা স্কুল ছিল বগুড়া জেলায় দ্বিতীয় সরকারি উচ্চ বিদ্যালয়। বাবু ভগবতি চরণ ঘোষকে স্কুলের প্রধান শিক্ষক হিসেবে নিয়োগ করা হয় এবং তিনি এই পদে ছয় বছর স্থায়ী ছিলেন। দর্শন ভিত্তিক অনেক লেখনীর প্রনেতা বগুড়ার সন্তান বাবু কিশোরী লাল রায় এই স্কুলের প্রথমদিকের ছাত্র ছিলেন। তাঁর বই সত্যের জন্য মুক্ত অনুসন্ধানে তিনি লিখেছিলেন “১৮৫৩ সালে এখানে একটি সরকারি ইংরেজি স্কুল প্রতিষ্ঠা করা হয়ে যেখান থেকে আমি এনত্ট্রেন্স পরিক্ষায় উত্তীর্ণ হই।এই স্কুলের প্রথম এবং সর্বকালের সেরা প্রধান শিক্ষকের মতে আমার অগ্রগতি ছিল উল্লেখকরার মত দ্রুত। আমি গভীর শ্রদ্ধা ও কৃতজ্ঞতার সাথে বলতে চাই যে বাবু ভগবতি চরণ ঘোষের শিক্ষায় আমি সাড়ে চার বছরের মধ্যেই ইংরেজি ভাষা সম্পর্কে প্রয়োজনীয় জ্ঞান অর্জন করি। আমি সবসময় ভগবতি বাবুকে পৃথিবীতে আমার সর্বশ্রেষ্ঠ হিতকারী হিসেবে মনে করি এবং সবসময়ই করে যাবো”।
ভগবতি বাবুর সময়ে এখানে চারজন শিক্ষক ছিল। ন্যাশনাল স্কুল কমিটি অনুযায়ী আদালতের সাথে সম্পৃক্ত কর্মকর্তা, কর্মচারীদের পুত্র ও আত্মীয় স্বজনরা মূলত স্কুলটি প্রতিষ্ঠা করে। ১৮৫৯ সালে ভগবতি বাবুর পর এ সি মুখারজি স্কুলটির প্রধান শিক্ষক নিযুক্ত হন। তাঁর সময়ে ১৮৬২ সালে দুই জন ছাত্র দ্বিতীয় বিভাগে এবং একজন বৃত্তিসহ প্রথম বিভাগে উত্তীর্ণ হয়। এ সময় থেকেই বাংলা ও ইংরেজি স্কুলে ছাত্রদের নৈপুণ্যের কারনে বই পুরস্কার দেওয়ার রীতি চলে আসছে।
পুরস্কার বিতরণী অনুষ্ঠানের সময় একশতর অধিক টাকা আতশবাজির জন্য ব্যয় করা হত। ১৮৫৯-৬০ সালে উত্তর পূর্ব এলাকা এবং আসামের স্কুল পরিদর্শক জনাব ডব্লিউ রবিনসন পুরস্কার বিতরণী অনুষ্ঠান পরিচালনা করতেন। তিনি আনন্দ দেওয়ার জন্যে জাদুর লন্ঠনের মাধ্যমে জাদুর আয়োজন করতেন এবং প্রকৃতির অনেক শিক্ষণীয় ঘটনা যেমন গ্রহ এবং নক্ষত্রের ঘূর্ণি, সূর্য এবং চন্দ্রগ্রহন, ঘূর্ণিঝড়, ইত্যাদি প্রদর্শন করতেন। ১৮৮১ থেকে ১৮৮৫ সাল পর্যন্ত ইট দিয়ে একটি স্কুল ভবন নির্মাণ করা হয়।
১৮৭৩-৭৪ সালে স্কুলে ছয়জন শিক্ষক, একজন পণ্ডিত এবং একজন মৌলভি ছিলেন। ১৮৬০-৬১ সালে স্কুলে ৮৫ জন ছাত্র ছিল। ১৯০৭-০৮ সালে ছাত্র সংখ্যা ছিল ৩৬৩ যাদের মধ্যে হিন্দু ছিলেন ২১৮ জন আর মুসলমান ছিলেন ১৪৫ জন।
স্কুলটিতে এখন ৫২জন অনুষদ সদস্য এবং ৪০০০ ছাত্র আছে। অনুষদ সদস্যরা বাংলাদেশের বিভিন্ন বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়ের গ্র্যাজুয়েট এবং ছাত্র হিসেবে ভর্তিচ্ছুকরা দেশের শীর্ষস্থানীয় স্কুল থেকে এসে থাকেন যাদের নির্বাচিত হওয়ার জন্যে রীতিমত প্রতিযোগিতামূলক পরিক্ষায় উত্তীর্ণ হতে হয়।
{:}
)
[3] => Array
(
[name] => St Francis Xavier Girls High School
[post_id] => 7407
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/bn/places/st-francis-xaviers-girls-high-school/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/St-Francis-Xaviers-Girls-High-School1-300x240.jpg
[post_content] =>
St Francis Xavier Girls High School is one of the best school for the girls of Old Dhaka. This school is located just beside the Gregory's school. Since it is a girl’s school, the entry may not be entertained by the school authority.
As this school remains close at Saturday as weekend, so you can take a chance to visit the school on holiday. This school was built at 1912 under the same board of the Gregory's school, but later on the board is separated, and now controlling by a different authority.
There are two main building inside the school premise. One is “U” shaped. Half of that building used for the kindergarten students, and rest of it for the school's girls as for hostel. The classroom building is “L” shaped and this one was built at 1993. This white colored white shaped building looks nice, and it has a basketball ground in front of it.
There is a small garden inside the school premise. You can easily find a statue of mother Merry who is holding the earth. This garden is profound with several flower plants and small fruit trees. Also at the other end of the ground, you will find a flat labyrinth which is nicely decorated.
The playground for the students is a bit smaller. Also one corner of the playground contains several instruments for the kids, like the seesaw, slipper etc. There is a small two stored building inside the school premise which almost looks like the brother house of the Gregory's school. It is actually used to keep the exam papers and other stuffs; just like a kind of store house.
)
)