Array
(
[0] => Array
(
[name] => Rangpur Carmichael College
[post_id] => 18930
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/rangpur-carmichael-college/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Carmichael-College-8-300x200.jpg
[post_content] =>
Carmichael College is a part of heritage and history of Uttar Bongo (northern Bangladesh). It is indeed one of the oldest colleges in the country.
Rangpur Carmichael College (রংপুর কারমাইকেল কলেজ) is one of the most prestigious colleges of northern Bangladesh. It has a campus of almost 300 acres and is possibly the largest in the country, in terms of its area. It was established in 1916, with the generous help of several landlords, including Gopal Lal Roy Bahadur, Mohima Ranjan Roy, Babu Monidra Chandra Roy, Radha Ballav Saha and others. It boasts a large lush green campus with several uniquely designed buildings.
The first three colleges of the country were named only after the district headquarters where they were located (Dhaka College, 1841, Chittagong College, 1869, & Rajshahi College, 1873). Similarly this new institution could have been named Rangpur College. However, several institutions that had been founded in the districts of Barisal (Brojo Mohan College, 1884), Sylhet (Murari Chand College, 1892), Pabna (Edward College, 1898), Comilla (Victoria College, 1899), Mymensingh (Ananda Mohan College, 1901) & Khulna (Braja Lal College, 1902) had taken names after their patrons. So when Lord Baron Thomas David Gibson-Carmichael of Skirling, the then First Governor of Bengal, formally inaugurated the institution, it naturally took up the name Rangpur Carmichael College.
From the outset, this was under the governance of Calcutta University, and was only permitted to teach Arts subjects, both at Higher Secondary and Graduation level. Lord Lytton, the Governor of Bengal visited the college in 1922. He was amazed at the beauty of the campus, the fascinating infrastructure, and the quality of education that was being offered here. He immediately permitted the college to begin teaching science subjects. The same year, Calcutta University also permitted the college to begin graduation courses in Bangla, Sanskrit, Arabic, Persian, English, History, Philosophy, Political Science, Economics & Mathematics. Bachelor of Science degrees were introduced in 1925.
The college currently offers graduation courses in 17 disciplines and post graduation courses in 15 subjects. From the 2011-12 academic year, the college reopened the Higher Secondary courses, having put that on hold for 14 years.
Rangpur Carmichael College was under the purview of Calcutta University till 1947, Dhaka University during 1947-1952, Rajshahi University during 1953-1992, and the National University thereafter.
)
[1] => Array
(
[name] => Kumradi Darul Ulum Senior Madrasa
[post_id] => 5760
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/kumradi-darul-ulum-senior-madrasa-%e0%a6%95%e0%a7%81%e0%a6%ae%e0%a7%9c%e0%a6%be%e0%a6%a6%e0%a7%80-%e0%a6%a6%e0%a6%be%e0%a6%b0%e0%a7%81%e0%a6%b2-%e0%a6%89%e0%a6%b2%e0%a7%81%e0%a6%ae-%e0%a6%b8%e0%a6%bf/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/DSC_01641-300x199.jpg
[post_content] =>
Kumradi Darul Ulum Senior Madrasa (কুমড়াদী দারুল উলুম সিনিয়র মাদরাসা), a Madrasa which was built in 1927, by Late Mawlana Mohammad Abdul Aziz. It was the biggest madrasa and Orphanage in Bangladesh. Female and male Muslim students got their Islamic education from this institution. There are two large building might be used for students dormitory. We assume, it was a complete residential Madrasa.
It is located at Kumradi Village of Shibpur Upazila in Narsingdi District. It contains a large area where there are five separate building complex situated in a parallel line. But, four old building has been abandoned in course of time. Only newly built two storied building along with few old building used as Madrasa. Others are just existing as an evidence of time. Some age old people say that, once it was one of the most noisy place in that region, but now we have experienced it as one of the calm & quiet places in this region.
Architectural Layout:
The architectural properties of this Madarsa complex is very simple & regular. Rest of the building of this complex are one storied with plastered rooftop. But, the most front one, just beside the main road is two storied and recent one is as well. The grave yard of the founder of this Madrasa is situated in north-west side the main building. A large pond is situated just behind the grave. There are two main gateway to enter into the madrasa complex, one is in Southern part and another is in north-east side.
Present Condition :
Present condition of these building complex is in very sensitive state. Rest of the buildings are abandoned and has no use for a long time. If proper care is taken, then within a short span of time it could be reused or proper conservation treatment could make this place presentable rather just making it of no use.
)
[2] => Array
(
[name] => {:en}Bangladesh Tea Research Institute{:}{:bn}বাংলাদেশ চা গবেষণা ইন্সটিটিউট{:}
[post_id] => 4019
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/bangladesh-tea-research-institute/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/BRTI1-300x173.jpg
[post_content] => {:en}
History of Bangladesh Tea Research Institute dates back to 1840 when a pioneer tea garden was established on the slopes of the hills in Chittagong where the Chittagong Club now stands. First commercial tea garden was established in 1857 at Mulnichera in Sylhet. During the partition in 1947, Bangladesh (the then East Pakistan) owned 103 tea estates, covering 26,734 hectares of tea plantation with annual production of 18.36 M. Kg. with a yield of about 639 Kg. per ha. Home consumption was around 13.64 M. Kg. up to 1955. After that home consumption went up rapidly and Government imposed 3% mandatory extension of tea area per year in 1961. Ten years later by 1970, tea area was extended to 42,658 hectares and production was increased to 31.38 M. Kg.
Bangladesh Tea Research Institute (BTRI) is an autonomous organization under the Bangladesh Tea Board (BTB). The tea industry had very limited access to technology immediately after the partition of India in 1947. To solve various problems of growing and manufacturing tea, and to establish the industry on sound scientific footing, the Pakistan Tea Board decided in 1952 to establish a tea research station of its own. As a result the Pakistan Tea Research Station came at its present location at Srimangal on the 28th February, 1957. After liberation, the research station was raised to the status of an institute and names the Bangladesh Tea Research Institute (BTRI) in 1973. Now BTRI is one of the 10 National Agricultural Research System (NARS) institutes of the country.
{:}{:bn}
বাংলাদেশ চা গবেষণা ইন্সটিটিউটের ইতিহাসের আরম্ভ হয় ১৮৪০ সালে যখন চট্রগ্রামের পাহাড়ের ঢালে (বর্তমানে যেখানে চট্রগ্রাম ক্লাব অবস্থিত) স্থাপন করা হয়েছিল একটি চা বাগান। ১৮৫৭ সালে সিলেটের মালিনীছড়া চা বাগান প্রতিষ্ঠিত করা হয় বাণিজ্যিকভিত্তিতে প্রথমবারের মত চা উৎপাদন করার জন্য। ১৯৪৭ সালে দেশবিভাগের সময় বাংলাদেশে (তদানীন্তন পূর্ব পাকিস্তানে) চা চাষ করা হত ২৬,৭৩৫ হেক্টর জমিতে ১০৩টি চা বাগানে। সেসময় সারা বছর ১৮.৩৬ মিলিয়ন কেজি চা উৎপাদিত হত যা ছিল প্রতি হেক্টরে ৬৩৯ কেজি । ১৯৫৫ সাল পর্যন্ত গৃহ্পর্যায়ে চায়ের চাহিদা ছিল ১৩.৬৪ মিলিয়ন কেজি। এরপর চায়ের চাহিদা দ্রুত বৃদ্ধি পেলে ১৯৬১ সালে সরকার প্রতি বছর চা চাষের জন্য ৩% হারে জমি বৃদ্ধি করা বাধ্যতামূলক করে। এরই ফলশ্রুতিতে দশ বছর পর ১৯৭০ সালে চা চাষের জমির পরিমান বেড়ে দাড়ায় ৪২,৬৫৮ হেক্টরে এবং বার্ষিক উৎপাদন বেড়ে দাড়ায় ৩১.৩৮ মিলিয়ন কেজি।
বাংলাদেশ চা বোর্ডের (বিটিবি)অধীনে একটি স্বায়ত্তশাসিত সংস্থা হল বাংলাদেশ চা গবেষণা ইন্সটিটিউট (বিটিআরআই)। ১৯৪৭ সালের দেশ বিভাগের পর এ দেশের চা শিল্পতে প্রযুক্তির ব্যাবহার ছিল সীমিত। চা চাষ এবং উৎপাদনের ক্ষেত্রে বিভিন্ন সমস্যার সমাধান এবং বিজ্ঞানভিত্তিক চা শিল্প প্রতিষ্ঠার লক্ষ্য নিয়ে তৎকালীন পাকিস্তান চা বোর্ড ১৯৫২ সালে তাদের নিজেদের একটি গবেষণা কেন্দ্র প্রতিষ্ঠা করে। সেই ফলশ্রুতিতে ১৯৫৭ সালের ২৮ ফেব্রুয়ারি তৎকালীন পাকিস্তান চা গবেষণা কেন্দ্র শ্রীমঙ্গলের বর্তমান ঠিকানায় যাত্রা শুরু করে। স্বাধীনতার পর ১৯৭৩ সালে এই কেন্দ্রটিকে একটি বাংলাদেশ চা গবেষণা ইন্সটিটিউটে (বিটিআরআই) রুপান্তর করা হয়। বর্তমানে দেশের ১০টি জাতীয় কৃষি গবেষণা পদ্ধতির (এনএআরএস) একটি হল বাংলাদেশ চা গবেষণা ইন্সটিটিউট।
{:}
)
[3] => Array
(
[name] => House of Jyoti Basu
[post_id] => 11600
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/house-of-jyoti-basu/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Jyoti_Basu2-300x225.jpg
[post_content] =>
Jyoti Basu (জ্যোতি বসু) was an Indian politician belonging to the Communist Party of India (Marxist) from West Bengal, India. He served as the Chief Minister of West Bengal state from 1977 to 2000, making him the longest-serving Chief Minister in the country's history. After suffering from Pneumonia, he died on 17 January 2010 in Kolkata.
Jyoti Basu was born 8 July 1914 in Kolkata (India) into an upper middle-class Bengali family. His father, Nishikanta Basu, was a doctor from the village of Barodi in Narayanganj District, Bangladesh, while his mother Hemalata Basu was a housewife. Basu's early life was started in Kolkata.
Specially after his death in 2010, the place has being highlighted. Bangladesh government willingly made a memorial library which is maintained under District Administration. The seminar hall can be rent by the local people paying a small fee on daily basis.
This two storied building (House of Jyoti Basu) is still habitable. Some local people are living in it. The place is situated very near to Barodi bazar. It is almost a walking distance and you can also hire a rickshaw for 20 taka.
)
)