Dhanshiri River, popular for its immensely beautiful scenery, is enclosed with paddy fields on both sides. It is also well known for the famous poet Jibonando Das, whose uncle used to live nearby the bank of the river. The renowned poet cherished his time spent observing the polite waves of Dhanshiri River. In fact, he was so fascinated by the striking natural beauty of the river that it became his inspiration behind one of his most celebrated poems.
The river is a tourist spot. There are many shops, hotels, cultural organizations, and a real estate centre named after the river. In Bengali literature, the Dhanshirhi River is a symbol of romance and love as introduced by great poet Jibanananda Das. The famous line of Jibanananda Das: “Abar asibo fire Dhanshirhi-tir tiree ei Banglay.”
The river Dhansiri is at Rajapur subdistrict in present Jhalakathi. In time of the rule of british, steamer went from one place to another among Barisal-Jhalakathi-Rajapur-Saturia-Coukhali-Pirojpur-Khulna-Kolkata. There is paddy field in both sides of the river. Beside the bank of the river there was his uncles(mother’s brother) house at Bamankathi village. The poet used to came in uncle’s house with his parents in his childhood. He used to live in Barisal with his parents but his uncle’s house is his favourite place. He enjoyed the beautiful natural scenery of the river Dhansiri.
Dhanshiri River is located in Rajapur upazila of Jhalakathi district under Barisal division. After reaching at Jhalakathi, take local transport to reach that tourist place.
The following buses head to Dhaka from Jhalakathi:
1. Sugandha Paribahan-Departure time from Jhalakathi: 7:45AM, 8:45AM, 09:45AM and 10:30PM. Phone no-01739025815(Jhalakathi)
2. Druti Paribahan– Departure time from Jhalakathi: 8:00AM, 8:30AM, 3:00PM, 9:00PM and 10:00PM. Phone no-01712617435(Jhalakathi).Phone no-01674005799(Jhalakathi)
3. Hanif Paribahan– Departure time from Jhalakathi-7:30AM, 8:45AM, 10:00AM, 11:45AM and 10:00PM. Phone no-01712154115(Jhalakathi), 01716422550(Jhalakathi), 017130149572(Dhaka), 02-8056366(Dhaka)
1. M.V. Tipu-Departure time from Sadarghat, Dhaka-7:30PM, Arrival time in Jhalakathi-5:00AM-7:00AM.Departure time from Jhalakathi- 6:00PM.Arrival time at Dhaka-5:00AM-7:00AM. Fair Deck-130BDT, Single Cabin-800BDT, Double Cabin-1500BDT.
2. Sunadarban-Fair and time of Departure are same as M.V Tipu. But departs from Jhalakathi at odd dates, departs from Dhaka at even dates. Phone no-01712811092
1. T.S Masud: Departure time from Sadarghat, Dhaka-6:00PM, Arrival time in Jhalakathi-5:00AM-8:00AM.Departure time from Jhalakathi- 4:00PM.Arrival time at Dhaka-5:00AM-8:00AM.Fair-Deck-100BDT, Single (Second class)-395BDT, Double (Second class)-790BDT, Single (First class)-655BDT, Double (First class)-1310BDT. It Departs Tuesday and Friday from Jhalakathi, Monday and Thursday.
2. T.S Ostrich: Everything same as T.S Masud but it departs Wednesday and Saturday from Jhalakathi, Tuesday and Friday from Dhaka.
3. T.S Lepcha: Everything same as T.S Masud and T.S ostrich except it departs Monday and Thursday from Jhalokati, Sunday and Wednesday from Dhaka.
The accommodation facilities in Jhalakathi are as follows:
1. Dhansiri Rest House: Kalibari Road, Jhalakathi-Phone no-0498-62212
2. Halima Boarding: MD Aziz Sadr road, Choumatha, Jhalakathi-Phone no-0498-62286
3. Arafat boarding: Phone no-0498-63589
1. You can visit the place where Jibonando Das’s uncle used to live.
2. You can take pictures around the Dhanshiri River.
3. You can spend a relaxing time, walking around the beautiful area.
There are a few restaurants along highway road and in the local markets, most serving Bangladeshi standards. But expectations regarding food should not be high. You need to look for restaurants nearby.
There are many shops in the town selling various different Bangladeshi products to tourists. You can also visit the local market where you can get supplies of local goods such as handicraft products, hand woven clothing, bed sheets etc.
Questions, issues or concerns? I'd love to help you!