Where to Stay
1) Palash house / night gandha residential hotels
Mosque Road, Tangail
phone: 0921-53154
2) Al Faisal Hotel Residential
Mosque Road, Tangail
phone: 0921-53918
3) Hotel Sagor Residential
New makert Road, Tangail
phone: 0921-54308
4) Apharin Hotel
Mosque Road, Tangail
Mobile: 01916782389
5) S.S rest House
akuratakur para, Tangail
phone: 0921-55180
6) Rural Electrification rest House
Tangail
phone: 0921-53390
7) L.E.G.D rest House (Government)
Tangail
phone: 0921-54261
8) Sugandha Hotel
Old busstand, Tangail
Mobile -01674-346815
9) Nirala Hotel
Nirala Mor, Tangail
phone: 0921-61363
10) Piyasi Hotel
Nirala Mor, Tangail
phone: 01711-352493
11) Hotel Kicokhon
Nirala Mor, Tangail
phone: 0921-55219
12) Hotel Aditya (residential)
Madhupur, Tangail
Mobile: 01716-796065
13) Hotel drim touch (residential)
Madhupur, Tangail
phone: 01717218799
14) Salban Residential Hotel
Madhupura, Tangail
Mobile: 01713-462103
15) Islamia guest house
Madhupur, Tangail
Mobile: 01917566234
16) Vai Vai guest house
Madhupur, Tangail
Mobile: 01190975539
17) Jamuna Resort Ltd.
syamasaila Vinod luhuriya kalihati, Tangail
Phone: 09239-76032-4
Fax: 09239-760325
18) Elenga Resort Limited residential hotels
Elenga kalihati, Tangail
phone: 02-9884322
Fax: 02-9881290
Array
(
[0] => Array
(
[name] => Hajiganj Fort
[post_id] => 10780
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/bn/places/hajiganj-fort/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Hajigonj-Fort-Narayanganj-011-300x225.jpg
[post_content] =>
Hajiganj Fort (হাজীগঞ্জ দুর্গ) also called Khizrpur Fort, situated at Hajiganj locality of Narayanganj on the western bank of the Sitalakshya (শীতলক্ষ্যা). Having the characteristics of a water fort, it was originally built just at the point where the old Buriganga (বুরিগঙ্গা) discharged into the Sitalakshya. It may have been built soon after Islam Khan established the Mughal capital at Dhaka, and was intended to countercept the raids of the Magh and Portuguese pirates.
The fort, quadrangular in size, consists of a pentagonal curtain wall machicolated for muskets with rounded corner bastions. On the inner side of the curtain wall there is 1.22 meter high rampart walkway from the base of the curtain wall which is itself pierced by several musketry holes. Each of the corner bastions has staircase inside up to the rampart level and its merlons have wider holes in between meant for gun firing. In a corner of the fort quadrangle there is a free tall square column of brickwork which seems to be a guard tower. The existence of this column links the fort with other water forts of the time. The existence of the elevated platform for the setting of cannons is an important feature of the fort.
The only small gateway of the fort towards the river side suggests that the means of communication was by the river. The pentagonal gateway is placed in a rectangular structure with engraved rectangular arches on the both sides. The top of the gateway is decorated with lotus finial. There having no other structure inside the fort, it seems that the fort was occupied only in the rainy season when the pirates were expected, and that the occupants used tents as their shades. The fort area is now being used as the Fire Brigade headquarters of Narayanganj.
)
[1] => Array
(
[name] => Gandhi Ashram Trust
[post_id] => 10840
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/bn/places/gandhi-ashrom-trust/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/124-300x225.jpg
[post_content] =>
Mahatma Karamchand Gandhi, the father of India, was the pioneer of the liberation movement of India from the British Empire. He visited Noakhali in 1946 and the place he lived is now turned into a memorial complex situated 25 kilometers away from the Noakhali District.
The very brief history of India: In 1946, just before the liberation of Pakistan from India, there were some social anarchy began in the undivided India. At that time, he decided to visit different places where the massacre started. According to his plan, he visited Noakhali and gave a peace speech. Gandhi was interested to set up a technical training institute at "Joyag" area for the rural uneducated people because he believed that only education can change the mind of a man and keep themselves away from being involved in crimes like killing/looting etc. At that time, a local lawyer, named Hemanta Kumar invited him to stay at his home. Hemanta was believed as the first barrister in this region on that time. He donated his land and building to Gandhiji and Gandhiji was pleased to him too. Gandhi used to drink only goat milk and he always carried a goat with his team. One night, the goat of Gandhi was stolen from the complex. After that he returned to Bihar (India) but willing to come again to continue the activities of the vocational training center. After that, Pakistan got independence from India. In 1948, Mahatma Gandhi was assassinated by fire and never managed to came back to Noakhali before his death. That was his only visit. In 1971, the east part of Pakistan declared themselves independent and named Bangladesh. Noakhali belongs to Bangladesh now. The Institute is now running autonomously in collaboration with the Bangladesh government.
Current Condition of Gandhi Ashram Trust: After his death, the Pakistani government tried to destroy his memories and work. The Pakistanis always hated Gandhi and all the Hindu people. During the period of 1947-1971, Pakistani people and their supporters forced Hindus to settle in India and destroyed their properties. After 1971, the Independent country Bangladesh began to preserve his history. The Vocational instituted was then named "Gandhi Ashram Trust" and started to serve local rural people. But now after 2000, the training activities started to decline. People are much more interested to move towards to a city now. Now the building is converted into a museum where lots of photos of Gandhi's earlier life is found.
The Ashram Trust is located in Joyag, Sonaimuri, Noakhali district. It is actually situated at Noakhali - Ramganj (Laksmipur) highway. There are some other branches of Gandhi Ashram are established to achieve the mission of Mahatma Gandhi in many different districts of Bangladesh. But actually the historical place where Gandhi resided in Bangladesh is in Noakhali.
)
[2] => Array
(
[name] => Christian Cemetery at Wari
[post_id] => 7489
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/bn/places/christian-cemetery-at-wari/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Christian-Cemetery-at-Wari01-240x300.jpg
[post_content] =>
The exact location of the Christian Cemetery is at Wari. This is just beside the "Salahuddin Specialized Hospital, Wari". Also it’s just one minute walking distance from "Baldah Garden". This place is not publicly available for visit. Only if you have relatives are buried inside the cemetery, you are allowed to enter.
If you notice the Cemetery, you can easily distinguish two different types of architecture of the graves. One part is older one, the holy cross or the pillar beside the grave has baroque style, just like the Greek or roman style. These are older graves, around 200-300 years of old. Other part of the graves are newly build. Most of those are looks like our modern building structure.
This Cemetery is around 400 years of old. At the right side of the Cemetery, you'll find several tombs, and large stone covered graves. All of them are several hundred years of old. Many of them are almost going to ruin. One of the tomb is of Major General Hamilton Wetch of the Bengal Army, who died on the 11th June 1856. Also there is another one where lies the body of Captain Borthwn, from East India Company, who died at 1769.
Also the cemetery comprises the graves of the soldiers who are died during the "Sepoy Mutiny" at Lalbag fort, during East India Period. Most of the name plate of the tombs or graves of this parts are almost hard to read. This is an ancient place, and our country should protect this place before everything is over. The photos will give you an idea about the ruins.
)
[3] => Array
(
[name] => Boro Katra
[post_id] => 9883
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/bn/places/boro-katra/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/P_20150610_1254411-169x300.jpg
[post_content] =>
Boro Katra (বড় কাটরা) was built between 1644 and 1646 AD to be the official residence of Mughal prince Shah Shuja, the second son of emperor Shah Jahan. The prince endowed it to his diwan and the builder of the serai, Abul Qasim. The word Katra may have originated from Arabic word Katara which means colonnaded building.
It is a historical and architectural monument located in Old Dhaka, Bangladesh.‘Katra or katara’ in Arabic and Persian means ‘Caravan (Karwan) Sarai’ or simply a ‘Sarai’. It is a palatial building dating to the reign of the Mughal dynasty in the Bengal region. It is situated to the south of Chowk Bazar close to the north bank of the river Buriganga.
Words from the Second inscription of north gateway: “Sultan Shah Shuja Bahadur was famed for deeds of charity-Wherefore being hopeful of the mercy of God his slave Abul Qasim al-Husainia-Tabtaba, As Simnai, Built this sacred edifice endowing it with twenty two shops attached to it, o the rightful and lawful condition that the official in charge of the endowment should expend the income derived from them upon the repairs of the building and upon the poor, and that they should not take any rent from any deserving person alighting there in, so that the pious act may reflect upon the monarch in this world and they should not act otherwise, or else they would be called on the day of retribution. This inscription was composed by Sad-ud-din Muhammad Sherazi” (Dacca, p.193 by prof. A.H. Dani)
Architectural Property: The building's architecture follows the traditional pattern of the Central Asia's caravanserai and is embellished as per Mughal architecture. It originally enclosed a quadrangular courtyard surrounded by shops and was overlooked by a row of 22 living cells in each wing. Two gateways were built in the northern and southern wing. The southern wing is a two-storeyed structure and extends 223' along the river. It is marked in the middle by the southern gateway, an elaborate three storied central archway framed within a projected rectangular bay that provides access to the courtyard. The underside of the arched alcove of the gateway is adorned with intricate plasterwork. The wall surface around the spandrels with plastered panels in relief contain a variety of forms such as four-centred, cusped, horse shoe and flat arches. Each wing is two storied and the corners are marked by tall octagonal towers.
)
)