=> Array
[name] => Niyogi House
[post_id] => 16728
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/niyogi-house/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/niyogee-house-8-300x200.jpg
The Niyogi House (নিয়গি বাড়ি) is located at Pukur Para (পুকুর পাড়া) of Singair Upazila. It is a old house built by Ganesh Chandra Niyogi more than 100 years ago. The household comprises of three structures, the principal and largest one is in severe ruins. Not only has the entire roof fallen down, anything that once formed this roof has now disappeared. The large arched doors and windows including their frames too are not to be found anywhere. It had a spacious corridor running the length of the building inside.
Another large building, though too in a dilapidated state is currently being used as the hostel of the local college. The smallest structure that once served as the kitchen has been renovated and is currently being used as accommodation by the Head of the Department of Economics of the same institution. He was there to proudly show us around the premises.
Within the inner compound of the buildings, there is an old well, which shows more waste than water some fifteen feet below. Date inscribed there 1334 Falgun (ফালগুণ) on the wall of this well, declaring this to be at least 87 years old.
 => Array
[name] => Tengor Shahi Jame Mosque
[post_id] => 8140
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/tengor-shahi-jame-mosque/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/P_20150520_173352-169x300.jpg
Tengor Shahi Jame Mosque is a single-domed square shaped mosque and built entirely of brick.Through the analysis of An Arabic inscription, originally fixed over the central archway of eastern wall, can now be found fixed to an enclosure wall of a nearby newly built mosque, locally known as Pashchimpada masjid (mosque). According to the inscription, the Rikabi Bazar Mosque was built by one Malik Abdullah Miah, son of Amin Khan Fakir Miah, in 1569 AD during the reign of Sultan sulaiman karrani.
The walls of this mosque are about 2.13m thick.There were four corner-towers in the four exterior angles of the building, but these were removed at the time of renovation work. The mosque has five arched-doorways, three in the east and one each on the north and south sides. The north and south doors are now used as windows. All the arches are of the two-centered pointed variety. The central archway in the east is bigger than the flanking ones. Corresponding to the three eastern archways there are three renovated semi-circular mihrabs inside the qibla wall that are set within rectangular frames. Like the central doorway, the central mihrab is bigger than its flanking counterparts. The north and south walls have two alcoves on either side of the archway. The square prayer hall of the mosque is covered with a large brick shouldered dome, which rests on the four blocked arches over the central mihrab and the three axial doorways springing from the brick pilasters, two inside each wall, in combination with Bengali pendentives and half-domed squinches on the upper angles.
Architectural Features: Architectural features of this mosque include massive walls, a large dome, two-centered pointed archways and a dome supported by blocked arches springing from brick pilanters in combination with pendentive and half-domed squinches. These are very feature similar to the Goaldi Mosque in sonargaon and baba saleh’s mosque in Bandar, both in narayanganj district
An octagonal drum can be seen externally in the lower part of the dome. The parapets and the inner side of the dome is decorated with rows of blind merlons, and each rectangular frame of the three mihrabs is crowned by a frieze of blind merlons. These are not original ornamentations. The outer walls of the mosque were once ornamented with terracotta plaques, but now these are all missing. The mosque is at present covered with cement plaster.
 => Array
[name] => House of Jyoti Basu
[post_id] => 11600
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/house-of-jyoti-basu/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Jyoti_Basu2-300x225.jpg
Jyoti Basu (জ্যোতি বসু) was an Indian politician belonging to the Communist Party of India (Marxist) from West Bengal, India. He served as the Chief Minister of West Bengal state from 1977 to 2000, making him the longest-serving Chief Minister in the country's history. After suffering from Pneumonia, he died on 17 January 2010 in Kolkata.
Jyoti Basu was born 8 July 1914 in Kolkata (India) into an upper middle-class Bengali family. His father, Nishikanta Basu, was a doctor from the village of Barodi in Narayanganj District, Bangladesh, while his mother Hemalata Basu was a housewife. Basu's early life was started in Kolkata.
Specially after his death in 2010, the place has being highlighted. Bangladesh government willingly made a memorial library which is maintained under District Administration. The seminar hall can be rent by the local people paying a small fee on daily basis.
This two storied building (House of Jyoti Basu) is still habitable. Some local people are living in it. The place is situated very near to Barodi bazar. It is almost a walking distance and you can also hire a rickshaw for 20 taka.
 => Array
[name] => Panam Bridge
[post_id] => 11590
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/panam-bridge/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/120-300x169.jpg
Panam area is formed as a part of the Muslim metropolis, developed on the south of the old city, and perhaps constituted as the place of residence of the early Muslim governors'. After the Mughal conquest of Sonargaon (1611), the Panam area was connected with the ruling metropolis by construction of highways and bridges. Panam still possesses three brick bridges belonging to the Mughal period: Panam Bridge, Dalalpur Bridge and Panamnagar Bridge. The existence of these bridges and the canals enclosing the site on three sides is indicative of its being a suburban area of the medieval city.
Panam Bridge a fine old bridge constructed originally over a canal on a village road from Hajiganj to Baidyer Bazar, now located a little further to the east of Habibpur on a pucca road between Companyganj and Bari Majlis in Sonargaon. It was originally known as Companyganj ka Pul (কোম্পানিগঞ্জের পুল). The Bridge measuring about 53 meter in length and 5 metre in breadth consists of three arches, the middle arch being wider and higher providing easy passage of boats underneath. The steep roadway is formed of bricks circularly arranged. The architectural feature places the bridge to belong to the Mughal period (17th century).