Array
(
[0] => Array
(
[name] => Balia Zamindar House
[post_id] => 17418
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/balia-zamindar-house/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Balia-Zamindar-House-5-300x200.jpg
[post_content] =>
Balia Zamindar House or Palace is once known as a symbol of dignity in this region. Still some of the ancestors of this zamindari estate living in Kolkata. Interviewing local folks ORB team came to about its identity and partial history, which could be possibly will help to rebuild its actual history in near future.
So far we came to know from different sources that, this zamindari was founded by man named Zamindar Malik Muhammad Box (জমিদার মালিক মুহাম্মদ বক্স) who came to this region from Multan. His son Hazi Malik Karim Box (হাজি মালিক করিম বক্স) was chronologically the second successful famous zamindar of this estate who donated a big amount of money from ‘Kashmir & Kyed-E-Azam relief fund’.
According to the old people of Balia this building is more than 400 Years old. There is a little difference between this Zamindar house with others. It’s one of the few Zamindari estate in Bangladesh which was being founded by Muslim zamindars where as rest of others being established by Hindu zamindars.
This old house is on the way to ruin, most of its building material is being removed. Except its tall dome and a triangular pediment rest others element is lost in course of time.There is a three domed Mosque in front this old House which could be possibly built in some later time.
)
[1] => Array
(
[name] => {:en}Parulia Mosque{:}{:bn}পারুলিয়া মসজিদ{:}
[post_id] => 4137
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/parulia-mosque/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/DSCN1052-300x225.jpg
[post_content] => {:en}
Parulia Mosque,According to a Persy inscription attached in the main gateway of the mosque; Bibi Jainab, a daughter of Nasir shah and wife of Diwan Sharif, built this mosque in 1126 AH/ 1714 AD. Internally,it is 18.29m in long, 5.18m wide and the wall of the mosque is 1.52m thick. Two lateral arches divided the interior of the mosque into three square sections. Three domes cover the roof of these three sections. The domes are crowned with lotus and kalasa finials. There are banded octagonal corner towers at four corners of the mosque. It was an exception that all the corner towers reached up to the cornice. In the Mughal style corner towers generally reach above the cornice.
There are five archways in the mosque, three at the eastern wall and one each at northern and southern walls. The central archway is bigger than the other four which are all in same size and shape. The upper portion of the outer side of the main gateway is under a half-domed roof and is recessed in a rectangular structure. Three mihrabs are at the western wall corresponding to the three archways of the eastern wall. All the mihrabs and the archways are stuck in rectangular structure, which are ornamented with merlons. There are arched niches on both sides of the mihrabs and archways. Archways and mihrabs are marked by their outward projection. Rectangular and square panels decoration are in both sides of the outer face of the archways.
The mosque was partially damaged by earthquakes in 1897 and was renovated later on. There is a square shaped open courtyard in front of the mosque, which is surrounded by a wall not very high. A beautiful gateway is in the eastern side of this wall.
There are two ponds at the northern and southern side of the Mosque which has increased the beauty of Mosque. And it makes the environment of Mosque Premises cool.
There is a one domed square tomb of Diwan Sharif and Bibi Jainab on the western side of the mosque. Every year at some particular month many people of cultural diversity have come here to celebrate a fair (Local term oros). They open so many itinerant shop of snacks and different kinds of toys. People come to pray and wish to have something (Spiritual) which is related with the well being of their life.
{:}{:bn}
নরসিংদী জেলার পলাশ উপজেলার পারুলিয়ায় এই মসজিদটি অবস্থিত। মসজিদের মূল ফটকে রক্ষিত একটি পারস্য শিলালিপি থেকে জানা যায় ১১২৬ হিজরী/১৭১৪ সালে জনৈক নাসির নামক ব্যাক্তির কন্যা এবং দিওয়ান শরীফ নামক ব্যাক্তির স্ত্রী বিবি জয়নাব এই মসজিদটি নির্মাণ করেন। মসজিদটির অভ্যন্তরের দৈর্ঘ্য ১৮.২৯ মিটার, প্রস্থ ৫.১৮ মিটার এবং মসজিদের দেয়ালের ঘনত্ব ১.৫২ মিটার। দুটি ধনুকআকৃতির সমান্তরাল পথের মাধ্যমে মসজিদের অভ্যন্তরকে তিনটি বর্গাকারভাগে ভাগ করা হয়েছে। প্রতিটি ভাগের উপরেই একটি করে গম্বুজ রয়েছে। প্রতিটি গম্বুজে নকশা ও অলংকার খোদাই করা আছে। ব্যাতিক্রম হিসেবে মসজিদের চারকোণায় অষ্টভুজ টাওয়ার রয়েছে যেগুলোর প্রতিটির উচ্চতা কার্নিশ পর্যন্ত। মুঘল স্থাপত্যশৈলীতে কোনার টাওয়ারগুলোর উচ্চতা সাধারণত কার্নিশকে ছাড়িয়ে যায়। মসজিদটির মোট পাঁচটি ধনুকআকৃতির ফটকের মধ্যে পূর্বদিকের দেয়ালে তিনটি, উত্তর ও দক্ষিন দিকের দেয়ালে একটি ফটক রয়েছে। মসজিদের মাঝখানের ফটকটি অন্যান্য ফটকের চেয়ে বড়। মসজিদের মূল ফটকের বাইরের দিকটি উপরিভাগ অর্ধগম্বুজ আকৃতির ছাদের নীচে অবস্থিত যেটি একটি আয়াতক্ষেত্রাকার কাঠামোর উপর নির্মাণ করা হয়েছে। অন্যান্য ফটকগুলো সামান্য নিচু আয়াতক্ষেত্রাকার কাঠামোর উপর নির্মাণ করা হয়েছে। মসজিদের পশ্চিমদিকের দেয়ালে পূর্বদিকের ফটকগুলো বরাবর তিনটি মিহরাব অবস্থিত। সবকটি মিহরাব এবং ধনুকআকৃতির ফটকগুলো অলংকারখচিত আয়াতক্ষেত্রাকার কাঠামোর উপর নির্মাণ করা হয়েছে। মিহরাব এবং ফটকের উভয়দিকেই ধনুকআকৃতির কোটর রয়েছে। ফটকগুলোর বাইরের অংশে বর্গাক্ষেত্রাকার এবং আয়াতক্ষেত্রাকার নকশা রয়েছে। ১৮৯৭ সালের ভুমিকম্পে মসজিদটি আংশিক ক্ষতিগ্রস্ত হলেও পরবর্তীতে মসজিদটি মেরামত করা হয়। মসজিদের সামনের বর্গাক্ষেত্রাকার আঙ্গিনাটি প্রাচীর দিয়ে ঘেরা। তবে প্রাচীরের উচ্চতা খুব বেশি নয় তবে প্রাচীরের পূর্বদিকেএকটি চমৎকার ফটক রয়েছে।পারুলিয়া মসজিদের উত্তর ও দক্ষিণদিকে অবস্থিত দুটি পুকুর মসজিদ অঙ্গনকে ঠাণ্ডা রাখার পাশাপাশি মসজিদের সৌন্দর্য বহুগুনে বৃদ্ধি করেছে।
মসজিদের পশ্চিমে দিওয়ান শরীফ এবং বিবি জয়নাবের এক গম্বুজবিশিষ্ট দরগা অবস্থিত। প্রতিবছর এখানে বছরের একটি নির্দিষ্ট মাসে মেলা (স্থানীয়ভাবে ওরশ বলা হয়) অনুষ্ঠিত হয় যেখানে বিভিন্ন সংস্কৃতির মানুষজন অংশ নিয়ে থাকে। এসময় এখানে বিভিন্ন খাবার ও খেলনা পাওয়া যায়। মানুষ এখানে এসে প্রার্থনা করে এবং নিজেদের জীবনের সমৃদ্ধির জন্য কিছু চেয়ে থাকে।
{:}
)
[2] => Array
(
[name] => Charpatra Mura
[post_id] => 5158
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/charpatra-mura/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Charpatar-Mura-Source-Heritage-Bangladesh1-300x200.jpg
[post_content] =>
Charpatra Mura is a small but interesting archaeological site in Mainamati. It is situated in the northern part of the Lalmai ridge at about the center of the Comilla Cantonment area. A small Hindu shrine, 45.7m × 16.8m, was uncovered here. The shape and architectural design and decoration are unique; differing basically both from the Buddhist architecture of Mainamati and the traditional Hindu temple architecture of the Gupta or other Indian types. It appears to represent a synthetic Bengal type that has evolved gradually by assimilating certain elements and features of local Buddhist architecture.
The temple has two distinct parts, an open pillared hall in the badly damaged front part and a cell at the back in the west. The latter part was found less damaged and decayed, that is to say, better preserved and undisturbed. It could therefore be properly excavated and uncovered. The exterior of this cella or temple proper at the back shows a fantastically complex and variegated shape produced by a multiplicity of angles and corners resulting from a combination of symmetrical projections and offsets at lateral and vertical planes, maintaining, nevertheless, a delicate balance between exotic growth and basic strength and proportions of the original form and the traditional plan. The overall effect is highly pleasing.
A few very significant objects were discovered in this monument. These are a bronze relic casket and four copperplate grants - three of them issued by the last two kings of the chandra dynasty and the fourth by a Later-Deva king, all in favor of a Ladaha Madhava (Visnu) temple situated in devaparvata. One record identifies the locality as Pattikeraka. On the basis of our present knowledge and information, it may be stated with absolute certainty that this new settlement was definitely located in the Lalmai -Mainamati area, and occupied a part or the whole of the old city of Devaparvata, and that the Ladaha Madhava temple of the inscriptions may reasonably be identified with the excavated Charpatra Mura temple.
The temple was probably reconstructed, if not originally built, by the Chandra King Shri-Ladahachandra (c 1000-1020 AD) who derived his name from that of the consecrated deity. Alternatively, the deity derived its name from that of the builder king who appears to have been especially devoted to him. This king issued two of the four grants found here. The appellation, Charpatra Mura, is related to the discovery of four copperplates.
Written by: M Harunur Rashid
)
[3] => Array
(
[name] => Panam Nagar
[post_id] => 11238
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/panam-nagar/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/229750_223480837697299_316414_n1-225x300.jpg
[post_content] =>
Panam Nagar (পানাম নগর), ancient Painam, a locality now in Sonargaon upazila of Narayanganj district. It is about 2.5 kilometre to the north of Dhaka-Chittagong highway at Mograpara point. It is said to have been the site of Hindu capital city of Sonargaon emerging in the seventh decade of the thirteenth century. The Panam area formed part of the Muslim metropolis developed on the south of the old city, and perhaps constituted the place of residence of the early Muslim governors'. After the Mughal conquest of Sonargaon (1611) the Panam area was connected with the ruling metropolis by construction of highways and bridges. Panam still possesses three brick bridges belonging to the Mughal period: Panam Bridge, Dalalpur Bridge and Panamnagar Bridge.
The existence of these bridges, and the canals enclosing the site on three sides is indicative of its being a suburban area of the medieval city. The pucca road which leads from the Mograpara crossing on the Dhaka-Chittagong highway in the direction of Panam extending up to the Neel-Kuthi looks like a dividing line between medieval Sonargaon and the present Panamnagar, the only surviving relics of the Panam area. The Panam township stands on the east of this road opposite Aminpur, and a one-arched humped bridge leads from the same road over a narrow canal to the main street of Panamnagar.
In all probability the present Panamnagar grew as a by-product of the commercial activities of the english east india company and of the Permanent Settlement. The East India Company established their factory in Panam for the purchase of muslin and other cotton fabrics. The Company, for the purchase of muslin, used to distribute annually to the weavers from their factory in Panam as much as a lakh of rupees as dadni (dadni system advance), and it is estimated that there were then 1400 families of Hindu and Muslim weavers in and around Panam.
Sonargaon developed into a center of trade in cotton fabrics, chiefly English piece goods, during the colonial period, and thereby grew the new township of Panamnagar. A group of Hindu talukdars, who came into being from among the traders in the nineteenth century, chose this site for their residence. The existing brick buildings of Panamnagar, obviously the residence of the Hindu merchant-talukdars, can be dated back to early nineteenth, and the later ones to late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Panamnagar which developed in the nineteenth century, continued to flourish till the end of the Second World War.
Panamnagar, a unique township, stretched in a single street 5 meter wide on the average and 600 meter in length. All the buildings have the character of urban street front houses and are lined up on either side of this street which ends up at the Panam bazar. Fifty-two houses exist in dilapidated and disused condition having 31 in the north side of the street and 21 on the south. Panamnagar appears to be well protected by artificial canals all around. Two fairly wide canals run parallel to the street on its either side and joined by a narrow canal on the western side over which is the entrance bridge (Panamnagar Bridge). On the eastern side, the canal on the south swerves rightward and goes eastward crossing the north-south road that passes through the Panam bazar. The northern canal, the Pankhiraj Khal, runs eastward to meet the Meghna-Menikhali stream.
)
)