Array
(
[0] => Array
(
[name] => Binot Bibi Mosque
[post_id] => 1446
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/binot-bibi-mosque/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Binat-Bibi-Mosque-3-300x200.jpg
[post_content] =>
Binot Bibi Mosque is the earliest surviving mosque in Dhaka built in 1454 by Bakht Binat, the daughter of Marhamat. It was during the rule of the Sultan of Bengal, Nasiruddin Mahmud Shah (1435–1459). Binat Bibi Mosque is the earliest surviving mosque in Dhaka built in 1454 by Bakht Binat, the daughter of Marhamat. It was during the rule of the Sultan of Bengal, Nasiruddin Mahmud Shah (r. 1435–1459). The mosque is located beside the Hayat Bepari's Bridge in Narinda area.
The mosque is a square, single domed measuring 12 feet (3.7 m) square internally with a single hemispherical dome, at the top of the square room. Entrances are from east, north and south. Pre-Mughal features included the curved cornices and battlements, corner octagonal turrets, and arches on the south, north and eastern sides. The ornamentation is modest and the building is coated with plaster.
Part of the mosque is being demolished as part of a renovation plan which includes building a 70-foot (21 m) high minaret, and the extension of the current building from three stories to seven.
)
[1] => Array
(
[name] => Nayabad Mosque
[post_id] => 1990
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/nayabad-mosque/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Nayabad-mosque1-300x211.png
[post_content] =>
Nayabad Mosque is located in the bank of the river Dhepa, just 1.5 km south-west of the infamous Kantaji Temple at Dinajpur in Bangladesh. The mosque is named after the village “Nayabad” in which it stands in the Police Station of Kaharole. According to an inscription found on the central doorway, it was constructed at 1793 AD in the reign of Mughal Emperor Shah Alam II. During that period, Raja Baidyanath, the last of the Dinajpur Royal family, was the Zaminder (feudal land owner).
Nayabad Mosque was erected at a time when the soil of Dinajpur had already been enriched with one of the most remarkable Navaratna temples, the Kantajew Temple in 1752 AD. The founding Royal family of Dinajpur was still prominent. According to local traditions, the mosque was built by Muslim architectural workers who had come to this place from the west to build Kantaji Temple. They had settled in Nayabad, a village near the temple, and had built the mosque for their own use. There is a grave of an unknown person in the premises of the mosque. Local people believe, this is the grave of Kalu Khan, the master architect of Kantaji Temple.
It is an oblong three-domed mosque with octagonal towers at the four corners. There are three arched entrances to enter the mosque. Among them, the central one is bigger than the flanking ones. These are equal in height and width. There is an arched window each on the south and north sides. Inside in the western wall there are three Mihrabs in line with the three entrances. The central Mihrab is bigger than the flanking ones which are of equal size. Three hemispherical domes cover the mosque, of which the central one is bigger than the side ones. Pendentives have been used in their phase of transition. The parapet and cornice are straight.
Terracotta plaques have been used in decoration of the mosque. At present there are about 104 terracotta plaques rectangular in shape, used in the surface decoration of the mosque walls. The platform of the mosque is enclosed by a low brick wall with only one access from the east. On either side of the mosque are to be seen a number of tombs each of found fixed over the central doorway of the mosque.
)
[2] => Array
(
[name] => {:en}Atiya Jame Masjid{:}{:bn}আতিয়া জামে মসজিদ{:}
[post_id] => 4502
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/atia-jame-masjid/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Tangail_mosque-Atiya-by-maremagna1-300x225.jpg
[post_content] => {:en}
The photo of this iconic mosque used to be printed on the Ten Taka note of Bangladesh. Nowadays these notes are very rare and are available only at the banks or on in the collection of few people now a days. Atiya is a historical four century year old mosque located at the Delduar Thana of Tangail district. It was named by the village Atiya and the mosque is also known as Atiya Jame Masjid.
Atiya Jame Mashjid is approximately 6 kilometers from the Tangail town. A small river called Louhojong Nodi flows near the mosque which gives it a more aesthetic appeal. The mosque is around 18m by 12m, it has four spherical domes at the top, one is the larger, which is located at the west part of the mosque. Other three are smaller sized and located at the east side of the mosque. All three domes are in a single row. Seems like the bigger one is for the Imam, and other three are for Musalli (regular people). All the domes are decorated at the bottom part and having a small minaret like object at the top. The mosque has four pillars at the four corners and each of the pillars are stylish and decorated nicely.
The mosque has lovely terracotta at the outer side of east and the north side wall. Those are very simple with just few small flowers inside the circles. The mosque has three entrance at the east side, and two entrance at the north and south side each.
This mosque was built during 1610 by Muslim Jomidar Sayeed Khan Panni, son of Baizid Khan Panni. He also dug a large water tank at the western side of the mosque. Local says that the mosque was built for the honor of a saint Shah Baba Kashmiri.
The mosque was damaged during the massive earthquake of 1800. A reconstruction of the mosque was made in 1837. Also, during 1909 another reconstruction made by two Jamindar from Korotia and Delduar of Tangail jointly. Wazed Ali Khan Panni was from Korotia, and Abu Ahmed Guznavi Khan from Delduar.
{:}{:bn}
পুরাতন দশ টাকার নোটের ডানদিকে এই মসজিদটির ছবি রয়েছে। তবে আজকাল দশ টাকার পুরাতন নোটটি ব্যাঙ্কে পাওয়া যায় এবং মাঝে মাঝে মানুষের হাতে দেখা যায়। প্রায় চারশত বছর পুরাতন ঐতিহাসিক আতিয়া মসজিদ টাঙ্গাইল জেলার দেলদুয়ার থানায় অবস্থিত। আতিয়া গ্রামের সাথে মিল রেখে মসজিদের নামকরণ করা হয়েছে।
টাঙ্গাইল শহর থেকে প্রায় ৬ কিলোমিটার দূরে লৌহজং নামে একটি ছোট নদী মসজিদের কাছ দিয়ে বয়ে গিয়েছে। মসজিদটির দৈর্ঘ্য ১৮ মিটার এবং প্রস্থ ১২ মিটার। আতিয়া মসজিদে চারটি গো্লাকারের গম্বুজ রয়েছে যেগুলোর মধ্যে বড় গম্বুজটি মসজিদের পশ্চিম অংশে অবস্থিত। বাকি তিনটি গম্বুজ আকারে ছোট এবং মসজিদের পূর্বদিকে একই সারিতে অবস্থিত। গম্বুজগুলো দেখে মনে হয় যেনো বড় গম্বুজটি হল ইমাম এবং বাকি গম্বুজগুলো হল মুসল্লি। গম্বুজগুলোর নীচের অংশে নকশার কাজ রয়েছে এবং উপরে ছোট মিনারের মত বস্তু রয়েছে। মসজিদের চারকোণায় চারটি চমৎকার নকশা করা পিলার রয়েছে।
আতিয়া মসজিদের পূর্ব এবং উত্তর দিকের বাইরের দেয়ালে টেরাকোটার উপর চমৎকার বৃত্তের মাঝে ছোট ফুলের নকশার কাজ রয়েছে। মসজিদের পূর্বদিকে তিনটি, উত্তর ও দক্ষিন দিকে দুটি করে প্রবেশপথ রয়েছে।
১৬১০ সালে বাইজিদ খান পন্নীর পুত্র মুসলিম জমিদার সাইদ খান পন্নী এই মসজিদটি নির্মাণ করেছিলেন। তিনি মসজিদের পশ্চিমদিকে একটি বড় পানির ট্যাংক খনন করেছিলেন। স্থানীয়রা বলে থাকেন সাধক শাহ বাবা কাশ্মীরির সম্মানে এই আতিয়া মসজিদটি নির্মাণ করা হয়।
১৮০০ সালের প্রচণ্ড ভুমিকম্পে আতিয়া মসজিদ ক্ষতিগ্রস্ত হয় এবং ১৮৩৭ সালে মসজিদটি পুনঃ নির্মাণ করা হয়। এছাড়া ১৯০৯ সালে টাঙ্গাইলের করটিয়ার জমিদার ওয়াজেদ আলী খান পন্নী ও দেলদুয়ারের জমিদার আবু আহমেদ গজনবী খান যৌথভাবে মসজিদটি পুনঃ নির্মাণ করেন।
{:}
)
[3] => Array
(
[name] => Chandamari Mosque
[post_id] => 6325
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/chandamari-mosque/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Chandamari-Mosque-300x200-300x200.jpg
[post_content] =>
The Chandamari mosque in Kurigram is an ancient Mughal mosque that has been around for centuries. However, the mosque is falling inexorably into ruin due to acid rain and lack of proper maintenance. The mosque is situated in the village of Chandamari in Chakirpasha union under the Rajarhat Upazila in the district of Kurigram. No one knows the exact year the mosque was built or who built it. The locals consider it the oldest mosque in the area, at approximately five hundred years old. The architecture of the mosque is very similar to that of other buildings dating back to the Mughal times. It should be mentioned that there is no department of archaeology in the district. Should archaeologists visit the mosque and perform carbon dating experiments, its year of foundation may be pinpointed.
During a visit to the site, local man Abdul Zalil Sarker and President of the Mosque Committee Jakir Hossen Chowdhury told Star Insight that perhaps future generations will know the exact age of the mosque. "It was built in the 16th or 17th century. It bears some similarities to the structure of the Atia mosque (1609 AD) in Tangail," a local historian said. Local sources say that though there are 52 decimals of land in the mosque's name, whilst it is established on only five decimals. The height of the mosque is 45”. There are three large, four medium and twenty-four small domes on top, the four corners and around the mosque respectively. Nine of smaller domes have been damaged.
This mosque, however, is not one of a kind. Hundreds of old buildings with ample antique value and rich heritage are crumbling due to lack of care while others are even being deconstructed. The issue seems to be ignored completely by authorities despite plenty of public interest and protest.
The mosque was made with flat tally bricks, which were cemented together with a kind of paste called Bhishkas. The thickness of walls, roof and domes are 4”. From a long period of continued carelessness, a crack had formed in the center of the 3 large domes. Being unfit, the middle dome was reduced by ½ feet and repaired by the mosque committee, who also built a tin-shed porch in front of the mosque.
)
)