Kasba (কসবা) is an administrative unit of the Sultani rulers (1342-1576). The administrative units, such as Iqta(ইকতা), Erta (ইরতা), Iqlim (ইখলিম), and Kasba (কসবা) have been mentioned in the contemporary texts.
So far 37 Kasbas could be traced in the region of Bangladesh, most of which had been within or near about the present district towns. The distance between one Kasba from another varied. It is noticed that official titles were associated with some of the kasbas. We can exemplify Kazir Kasba (কাজীর কসবা), Kotowaler Kasba(কোতওয়ালির কসবা), Nagar Kasba(নগর কসবা) etc. Considering the location, distance of one from another, communication system with the central or Provincial Capital, attachment of official titles etc it is assumed that Kasba were administrative units and were equivalent to districts. An administrative officer, a Quazi (কাজী) and a Kotwal(কোতওয়াল) were in charge of a Kasba.
In this complex of many buildings we can detect several names of businessman who built those in different period of time in 19th Century.
While most of the Kasbas lost their former importance during the Mughal period, Munshiganj, or Bikrampur, as it was known earlier, flourished as an important district through a rich combination of education, economy, literary & cultural pursuits. Therefore, the Nagar Kasba of Munshiganj stood with its importance through the course of time. It is believed that during the British rule, especially during the later part of the 19th century, Nagar Kasba was rebuilt as a residential area of wealthy predominantly Hindu business people, who mostly traded through the river port of Mirkadim.
After the Partition of India (1947), it is believed that most of the Hindu wealthy families migrated to Kolkata. Those who decided to stay back, to tend to their established businesses soon began to find it difficult. As sporadic communal riots continued, the exodus continued till the late 1950s. Families often left silently at night, leaving behind all their belongings. Those who still chose to stay, almost completely left for India during our Liberation War in 1971.
During these dire times, most of these full-furnished wealthy houses fell vacant and remained untended for a long time. Gradually, over time, these empty houses began to be taken over by influential locals. The descendents of these grabbers now own these properties, and live in the dilapidated buildings. It therefore is not surprising that a house that looks like it was purposely built for Hindu owners now adorns the names of Muslim people.
Even in its latest hay days in the later part of the 19th century, Nagar Kasba was a row of magnificent houses, mostly of two floors, though not too large, but built in British colonial styles. The intricate designs and motifs that remain on the walls and pillars are testament to the wealth and taste of the owners. Unfortunately, almost all are now in ruins, where some have even been demolished by present day owners.
It’s about 5km south-east from Muktarpur Bridge of Munshiganj District. After passing the bridge there are available rickshaw & auto-rickshaw to reach at Riakbi Bazar road of Mairkadim village.
There are several transport is available from Dhaka to Munshiganj. The bus services are “Nayan Paribahan”, “Dighir par Paribahan” and “Dhaka Transport”, all of the buses used to start from “Gulistan” of Dhaka. It will cost you 60-80 taka, and will require 1 hrs to 2 hrs bus journey depending upon the road traffic.
Also you can hire CNG auto rickshaw from the “Postogola”, and it will take you 250-350 to take you at Muktarpur bridge. Remember, if you are hiring CNG, make sure who will provide the toll of the bridge. For you information, the toll fee is 20 taka. So negotiate with the driver of CNG about who will provide the toll.
Though the district is just beside the Dhaka, still its hard to find a suitable hotel from the district. The main reason, may be people from dhaka used to come this place for a single day trip. But anyway, if you need to stay at Munshiganj town, that case I’ll suggest you to stay at “Hotel Comfort” this one is the best from the town. Also you there is another one which is “Hotel three star international”. But the quality of the rooms of this hotel is not that much good. For both cases, it will take 100-700 taka per night depending upon the room.
1. Mawa Resort
Contact: Md. Ali
2. Padma Resort
Contact: Mohammad Ali
3. Padma Rest House
Bridge Division, Ministry of Roads and Communications
Referred where to eat in Munshiganj. Click here
Dayarampur Rajbari (দয়ারামপুর রাজবাড়ি) is located in Bagatipara Upazila, inside of the Qadirabad Cantonment under the administration of Bangladesh Army. After taking the oath of the Zamindari, Pramadanath (প্রমদানাথ) Roy (1873-1925), the elder son of then Dighapatia King Promothonath (প্রমথনাথ) Roy (1849-1883), established the Junior Raj Dayarampur Estate in a place named Nondikuza (নন্দীকুজা) on the bank of river Boral and built this Rajbari for his three younger brothers. They are Kumar Bosontokumar Roy (1874-1925), Kumar Sharatkumar Roy (1876-1946) and Kumar Hemendrakumar Roy (1877-1943).
This place was named after Dayaram (দয়ারাম) Roy (1680-1760), the great efficient Dewan of Queen Bhabani (1716-1795) of Natore and the establisher of Dighapatia Royal Family. After the death of Kumar Bosontokumar Roy, Kumar Sharatkumar Roy took the responsibility of the whole Dayarampur Estate and stayed this palace till death. After the eradication of Zamindar dominion, they went to India.
Source: History of Natore, by Samar Pal)  => Array ( [name] => Autshahi Moth [post_id] => 9406 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/autshahi-moth/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/IMG_20150527_114118396_HDR1-300x169.jpg [post_content] =>
Autshahi Moth (আউটশাহী মঠ) is a spiritually very prominent Hindu Religious structure among the local community. Local Hindu people has a strong belief and they always practice some rituals centering two temple, built at the base of Moth. Two temples containing distinguished deities. One is occupied by Devi Durga and another one is a fusion between Lord Shiva and Devi Parvati.
It is About 300 Years Old an island stylistic Moth,Beside Autshahi Radha Nath High School at Chander Bazar, Autshahee, Tongibari, Munshiganj. If someone wants to reach there at the temple, then there is no other options except the subway of wooden bridge which connects this feature with the highway.
In the early 18th century Bijoyram Kor built this temple covering his mother's tomb. Struck by different natural calamities, this temple lost its surrounding parts, even it gets curve leaving shape on its exterior.)  => Array ( [name] => Khelaram Datar Kotha [post_id] => 10252 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/andharkotha-khelaram-datar-kotha/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/18-225x300.jpg [post_content] =>
Previously, the actual color of Khelaram Datar Kotha (খেলারাম দাতার কোঠা) was reddish (first three photographs added). But after a renovation done by the Department of archaeology, it is colored white now.
Possibly the most intriguing, interesting and uniquely confusing archeological structures of Nawabganj is the Khelaram Daata’r Kotha, which has recently been renovated. Yet they have not put up a sign board describing the building.
It is confusing, who was Khelaram? What was he known for? What is this building all about? What is the story behind it? When was it built? One could come up with several such questions, but apparently there isn’t much available documentation. It’s hardly possibly to rely on local folklore, as that is far more fiction than facts. To start with some confusion, some say the name of the founder of this structure was Khelaram Dutta, Banglapedia mentions him as Khelaram Dada, while the locals say he was known as Khelaram Daata.
According to Banglapedia he was a Zamindar, but the locals claim he was a dacoit. Since Banglapedia mentions nothing about him apart from naming him as Zamindar Khelaram Dada. So, there isn’t any other way except relating oral history along with the information of Banglapedia.
Some 200 years ago, there lived a ferocious dacoit named Khelaram, who was dreaded by the rich, but loved by the poor, because similar to Robin Hood, he generously donated much of his spoils from each mission amongst the poor people. Hence he was known as “Daata” the beneficent. But he still retained quite a bit and needed to store the loot. So he built this structure consisting of many rooms just overnight (within a short time). The building had five floors (it now has only two) and the roof had a large tank. There still is a large pond nearby. Poor people had to come to this pond to bathe, and anything they asked for was granted.
Oral History Or Myth :
Khelaram was extremely obedient to his mother. She once wanted to drink some milk and eat some ripened bananas, so Khelaram arranged the rooftop tank to be filled to the brim with ripened bananas and pure milk, so she could swim there and eat and drink to her heart’s content. But one day something Khelaram did severely angered his mother. She sternly rebuked and cursed him and then left for a bath in the pond. But as soon as she left the building, three floors of the building simply sank into the ground, leaving only the top two floors to be seen over the surface. Khelaram was not seen any more from then. Some believe he got trapped in one of the lower floors. Some believe he drowned in the pond, trying to save his mother. Within a short time, all his belongings got stolen, leaving behind just an empty house.)  => Array ( [name] => Handial Jagannath Temple [post_id] => 9243 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/handial-jogonnath-temple/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/handial-jogonnath-mondir-21-300x225.jpg [post_content] =>
Handial Jagannath Temple (হান্ডিয়াল জগন্নাথ মন্দির) is an old temple located at Handial (হান্ডিয়াল) village of Chatmohor Upazila of Pabna district. As it is located at the Handial village, it is known as Handial Mandir too.
It is a single door small sized temple which was built using bricks. This temple gets narrower as it is progressing upwards. Only the front wall of the temple has some terracotta. The temple is placed over a high plinth.
From the inscription, it is found that the temple was reconstructed by someone named Bhobani Proshad during 1590. But scholars are assuming that the temple was built even another 100 years before from that time.
The whole temple premise is under a boundary. Another two newly temples are being constructed at the both side of the old temple. There is a small chariot (রথ) available inside the premise. Also, a Mondop (মন্ডপ) is available for the upcoming Hindu festival Durga Puja (দূর্গা পূজা).) )
Questions, issues or concerns? I'd love to help you!