The year was 1888. Viceroy Lord Dufferin of India was scheduled to visit these parts on an official tour during the then British Raj. A grand Ballroom Dancing program was organized by the English in honor of the Viceroy. And thus began a search for a suitable venue which was not only beautiful enough to be fitting of such an occasion but was also equipped with all appropriate amenities and facilities. In line with this requirement, three houses were short listed: Ahsan Manzil, the current Banga Bhaban (President’s Residence) & the Ruplal House. Finally, due to modernity of all the facilities available, its incomparable beauty and it’s grand architectural style the Ruplal House was chosen as the site for this grand program.
Ruplal House (Rooplal House) is located at Farashganj, just beside the bank of the Buriganga River. It was built by two prominent merchant brothers from Dhaka, Ruplal and Raghunath Das. It cannot exactly be determined how old the building actually is, but according to the locals there it may be around 150-200 years old.
Apart from Ruplal House, there is another adjoining buildings both of which have almost similar architectural styles, but the Ruplal House is the most beautiful one among the others. Nowadays Ruplal House is known as Zakir House, and the other one is known as Noorjahan House. However, nowadays inside both the buildings you’ll find a vibrant spice and vegetable market.
The house has more than 50 rooms including a Hall Room, all of which are large and spacious consistent with the architecture of those time. The building has large cylindrical columns in line with the architectural styles of Ancient Greek buildings. Also top of the building, especially the ledges are also decorated with intricate designs reminiscent of Greek Architure as well as the Victorian Castles of England. But now a days, mostly due to the lack of maintenance, trees and unbridled weeds have grown up the wall of the building.
No one is available there to clean the premises &/or maintain it and also inside the building you’ll find unauthorized people living. Recently Bangladesh government has announced this as archaeological property, but as of yet no action taken to preserve it.
Most popular transport system in Dhaka city is Rickshaw. You can find available buses (Local or direct service) in coming inside or move outside Dhaka city. There are other transport systems like Trains, Rivers and Air.
There are more than 71 quality hotel in Dhaka. Some are listed below…
1. Pan Pacific Sonargaon Hotel, Dhaka
107 , Kazi Nazrul Islam Avenue
Tel: +880 2 811 1005
Website : Pan Pacific Sonargaon Hotel, Dhaka
2. Ruposhi Bangla Hotel
1 Minto Road, Shahbagh, Dhaka,
Phone : 88-02-8330001
Fax : 88-02-8312975
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Website : Ruposhi Bangla Hotel
3. Radisson Water Garden Hotel, Dhaka
Airport Road, Dhaka Cantonment,
Dhaka 1206 Bangladesh.
Telephone: + 88 02 8754555
Fax: + 88 02 8754554 , + 88 02 8754504
Email : reservations.dhaka[at]radisson.com
Website : Radisson Water Garden Hotel
4. Dhaka Regency Hotel & Resort
Airport Road, Nikunja 2
Dhaka 1229, Bangladesh.
Phone : +88-02-8913912, +880 2 8900250-9
Fax : +88-02-8911479
Email : email@example.com
Website : www.dhakaregency.com
5. Best Western La Vinci Hotel, Dhaka
54, Kawran Bazar,
Phone No : 880-2-9119352
Fax No : 880-2-9131218
E-mail : lavinci[at]bol-online.com ,
Web : www.lavincihotel.com
6. The Westin Hotel
Main Gulshan Avenue,
Plot-01, Road 45, Gulshan-2
Phone : 88-02-9891988
7. Royal Park Residence Hotel
House no. 85, Road no. 25A
Block – A, Banani,
Dhaka 1213 Bangladesh.
Telephone: + 88 02 8815945/46
Fax: + 88 02 8815299
Email : hotelinfo[at]royalparkbd.com
Website : Royal Park Residence Hotel
8. Bengal Inn
House # 07, Road # 16,
Gulshan – 01
Dhaka 1212 Bangladesh.
Tel: +880 2 98880236, 9880610
Fax: +880 2 9880274
Email : info[at]bengalinn.com
Website : www.bengalinn.com
9. Hotel Sarina Dhaka
Plot #27, Road #17
Dhaka 1213 Bangladesh.
Tel: +880 2 8859604 -10, 8851040 -2, 8851011-4
Fax: +880 2 988-9989
Email : sales[at]sarinahotel.com, reservations[at]sarinahotel.com
Website : www.sarinahotel.com
1. Know the history behind that house
2. Take photos
3. Enjoy a boat trip down the river buriganga
For places to eat, click here
The Niyogi House (নিয়গি বাড়ি) is located at Pukur Para (পুকুর পাড়া) of Singair Upazila. It is a old house built by Ganesh Chandra Niyogi more than 100 years ago. The household comprises of three structures, the principal and largest one is in severe ruins. Not only has the entire roof fallen down, anything that once formed this roof has now disappeared. The large arched doors and windows including their frames too are not to be found anywhere. It had a spacious corridor running the length of the building inside.
Another large building, though too in a dilapidated state is currently being used as the hostel of the local college. The smallest structure that once served as the kitchen has been renovated and is currently being used as accommodation by the Head of the Department of Economics of the same institution. He was there to proudly show us around the premises.
Within the inner compound of the buildings, there is an old well, which shows more waste than water some fifteen feet below. Date inscribed there 1334 Falgun (ফালগুণ) on the wall of this well, declaring this to be at least 87 years old.)  => Array ( [name] => Govinda Vita at Mahasthangarh [post_id] => 6557 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/govinda-vita-at-mahasthangarh/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Govinda-Vita2-300x240.jpg [post_content] =>
Govinda Vita at Mahasthangarh is another archaeological spot from the great Mahasthangarh of Bogra. This is also at Shibganj, and just opposite of the Mahastangarh Museum. This one is also close at Sunday, and open for other days from 9:00 to 5:00. During summer time, the closing time extends for one hour.
This is situated just beside the famous river Korotoa of Bogra. Once upon a time it was a giant river, but day by day it’s becoming so narrow that you may feel it’s a canal.
From the excavation, some important antiquities discovered at Govinda Bhita that includes cast copper coins, silver coins, NBP wares, terracotta female figurines with sunga affinities, terracotta seal bearing Brahmi script and semi-precious stone beads.
[This spot needs more detail. If you have more information and photos, please be advised to add in our website. Your name will be published as a Content Contributor])  => Array ( [name] => Muktagacha Zamindar House [post_id] => 22170 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/muktagacha-zamindar-house/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Muktagacha-Zamindar-House-14-300x169.jpg [post_content] =>
Mymensingh city is one of the old cities in Bangladesh. Historically & archaeologically it is very important from tourism point of views. Once a traveler wants to travel in this district, he/she will find several places to visit. Muktagacha Zamindar House (মুক্তাগাছা জমিদার বাড়ী) is one of those.
This old palace is located at the heart of the Muktagacha(মুক্তাগাছা) Upazila, 16km west to the Sadar Upazila. Previously the name of Muktagacha was Binodbari (বিনোদবাড়ী). It is believed that the Zamindars actually came from the Natore (নাটোর) or Bogra (বগুড়া) of our North Bengal. When the first ruler named Srikrishna Acharya (শ্রীকৃষ্ণ আচার্য) arrived here, a local inhabitant named Muktaram Kormokar (মুক্তারাম কর্মকার) welcomed them with a large lamp stand that was made from brass. In that portion of our country, people call a lamp stand as Gachha (গাছা)). This gratitude pleased the Zamindar and they have renamed the area as Muktagacha (মুক্তা গাছা) using that inhabitant's name and the lamp stand's local name.
Srikrishna Acharya (শ্রীকৃষ্ণ আচার্য) established the Zamindari at Muktagacha formerly known as Binodbari. Later, his four sons Ram Ram, Hore Ram (হরে রাম), Bishnu (বিষ্ণু), Shibram (শিবরাম)and their inheritor conducted the Zamindari. The Owner of the Muktagacha Rajabari was Jogot Kishor Acarya (জগত কিশোর আচার্য), the son of Hore Ram Acharya (হরে রাম আচার্য). His ancestors started to build that Palace in the year 1750-60 which signifies that the structure is almost 300 yrs old.
However, this old house from Muktagacha covers a vast area, though most of the structures are in very poor condition. Few things were stolen by the locals, and others are just dilapidated for not taking any care. We observed two storied iron & steel made house (though floors are all gone, only structure is standing there).
Most of the rulers from this family were cruel and hostile to the peasants. They have lot of allegations against them including raping, torturing, etc. It was considered as a crime whenever a peasant from that area use to cross the Zamindar House using any shoe or umbrella. Guards use to beat them whenever someone committed such crime.)  => Array ( [name] => Lakshindarer Gokul Medh [post_id] => 1378 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/lakshindarer-medh-gokul/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Lakshindarer-Medh-Gokul-rakib-bd21-300x225.jpg [post_content] => The name Lakshindarer Gokul Medh is taken from famous folk tale Laksinder and Behula. It was excavated in 1934-1936 and it exposed the antique of a temple. It has a high podium and it can hold 172 rectangular blind cell of different types. Terracotta plaques and other objects were found while digging during the Pala period (6th-7th) century. The mound derived its name from the popular romantic folk tale entitled Behula and Lakshindar. Connected with the same story is found another smaller mound, locally known as ‘Netai Dhopanir Pat’, situated to the close east of the Medh. The mound is situated on the west of village Gokul which is about 2km to the southwest of Mahasthangarh. It was excavated in 1934-36 and has revealed the derelict relics of a temple. The remarkable feature of this temple is its high plinth accommodating 172 rectangular blind cells of various dimensions. They rise in tiers and packed solidly with earth, so as to form a lofty massive podium, crowned originally either by a shrine or a stupa, now lost. This novel device, functionally comparable to our modern piling system, liberally used in Bengal during five centuries preceding the Muslim conquest, was found particularly suitable for the alluvial soil of Bengal by the builders to erect their sacred buildings to an imposing height much above the flood level. However, the cellular construction is not confined to Bengal only but parallel examples occur far to the west at Ahichhatra in the Bereilly district of U.P. Terracotta plaques and other associated objects unearthed during the excavation, which are ascribed to the late Gupta period (6th-7th century A.D.), indicate that originally this stupendous ruin at the Medh constituted an imposing terraced sub-structure of a roughly cruciform plan surmounted with a central shrine of complex outline, dedicated probably to the Buddhist Faith. Over the sub-structure is an octagonal plinth which, as mentioned, may originally have carried a stupa, but now completely gone. This stupa was replaced by a square shrine ( 8.17m square outside) and porch during the Sena period (11th-12th century A.D.). A grand staircase on the west gave access to the shrine, but the doorway of the shrine and porch was later blocked and the floor level raised to an unknown height. The excavation inside the shrine revealed a small intrusive cell containing human skeleton-probably of an anchorite-and underlying that was found a circular brick-paved pit of 3.86m in diameter. A stone-slab of 51.2cm × 46.1cm was discovered at the center of the shrine which bore 12 shallow holes with a larger hole in the center containing a tiny gold left, about an inch square. However, nothing note worthy was discovered underneath the stone-slab. ) )
Questions, issues or concerns? I'd love to help you!