Tahkhana Complex is located on the bank of a pond called Zahedulbala at a distance of 500m. towards north-west of Chhoto Sona Mosque. Two-storeyed in plan, the building called Tahkhana measures 35.35 x 11.58 m. On its first floor, there are 17 rooms of which two are octagonal. The octagonal room on the north-west was used for performing Salah, while the rest for different purposes, viz-saloon, recreation, dining, meeting hammam etc. The hammam complex proper is located on the south if the Tahkhana. There is a staircase in the south-east corner which leads down to the water level of the pond. There were provisions of supplying both cold and hot water following a channel of terracotta pipe, to the hammam complex. The entire building was constructed with small bricks laid in lime mortar. The wall of the building is decorated with niches and different kind of art motifs at its different points.
There are two views regarding the construction of this building. Firstly, Shah Shuja used to come and stay here for his administrative visit, rest and recreational purpose and to meet his spiritual guide Shah Niamatullah (R). Secondly, to provide residential accommodation to Shah Niamatullah (R) during the year 1655 AD. A mosque and tomb of Shah Niamatullah (R) are located on the north-west and north of the building respectively. At present, these buildings are protected monuments by the Department of Archaeology.
Tahkhana Complex is located in Shibganj Upazila of Chapai Nawabganj district. Referred how to reach Chapai Nawabganj from Dhaka. For directions to Shibganj Upazila see http://bit.ly/1h01qn7
All the buses start from Dhaka to Rajshahi, go to Chapai Nawabganj. For example, Hanif Enterprise, Modern Enterprise, Shyamoli Paribhaban etc.
NAME OF SERVICE DEPARTURE TIME Phone No.
Green Line (Volvo) 08:30AM, 03:15PM, 11:30PM 01730-060080
Hanif Enterprise 04:30AM to 11:30PM (with every 30 minutes interval) 0173-402670
Shyamoli Paribahan 05:00AM to 12:00Pm (with every 1 hour interval) 02-900331, 02-8034275.
Modern Enterprise 06:00AM to 12:00Pm (with every 1 hour interval) 9123743, 327293, 806099
The major transportation system in this town is the bus service to different districts and towns. The main transportation route is Nawabganj-Rajshahi. The bus transportation service is off three types which are gate-lock, direct and local service. The others bus routes are Nawabganj-Shibganj, Nawabganj-Naogaon, Nawabganj-Nachol, Nawabganj-Rohanpur.
The BRTC bus service serves for the long intra-district route to almost all important districts of Bangladesh. The most important long route is the Nawabganj-Dhaka. This route has ample bus service. There are two bus stoppages. The biggest one is called Chapai Nawabganj Bus Terminal and the other is the Dhaka Bus Terminal. Sona Mosjid-Rajshahi-Sona Mosjid bus Service are on at 7.15am to 5.15pm every 1 hour after.
In the past, the main transport system was based on the water path. The river Padma (Ganges), Mahananda River, Pagla, Moraganga and some beels (marshland) were used for intra-district transport system. The water level went down due to adverse effect of Farakka Barrage on Padma (Ganges) river, and therefore, water transport has lost its popularity. But still rivers are used for transportation of daily goods from different parts of the district. Still the transportation from the villages in western and eastern parts of the district depends on the boat. In the Shibgonj Upazila have a small river name [pagla].
There are limited railway services with Rohanpur and Rajshahi. One of the international rail line passes through the district to Malda, West Bengal, India. There are few services of local train from different stations of Chapai Nawabganj such as Nawabganj Sadar, Amnura, Nachole, Nijampur, Rahanpur to Rajshahi and other parts of Bangladesh and also has a shuttle service from Nawabganj to Rajshahi for the intercity train service from Rajshahi to other part of Bangladesh.
There are many hotels to stay, such as Government Rest House (Rohanpur Upazila), Johrul Cottage (Shahabazpur Upazila), Hotel Al-Hera, Hotel Al-Nahid etc. in the city area.
1. Hotel Rose
Manager/Owner: Anwar Hossain Anu
Capacity: Room- 56, Seat- 73
Address: Station Road (Mohananda bus stand), Lakherajpara, Chapai Nawabganj Sadar.
2. Lal Bording
Manager/Owner: Md. Sentu Mia
Capacity: Room- 16, Seat- 33
Address: Dhaka bus stand, Chapai Nawabganj Sadar, Chapai Nawabganj
3. Hotel Shopnopuri
Manager/Owner: Md. Babul Hasnat Durul
Capacity: Room- 18, Seat- 8, double- 9
Address: Arambag Mor, Bissho Road, Chapai Nawabganj
4. Nababganj Boarding
Manager/Owner: Advocate Kashem Mia
Capacity: Room: 7, double: 8, Seat: 26
Address: Hospital Road, Chapai Nawabganj Sadar, Chapai Nawabganj
5. Hotel Al Nahid
Manager/Owner: Alhaz Rofiqul Islam
Capacity: Room- 28, Seat- 40
Address: Shantimor, Arambag, Chapai Nawabganj Sadar, Chapai Nawabganj
6. Hotel Rangdhonu
Manager/Owner: Mosharraf Hossain
Capacity: Room- 12, Seat: 17
Address: Lakheraj Para, Mohananda bus stand, Chapai Nawabganj Sadar, Chapai Nawabganj
7. Hotel Nazma
Capacity: 22 persons
Address: Kansat, Shibganj, Chapai Nawabganj
If you are hungry you may search for restaurants or fast food shops nearby. You may also carry your own food.
You can contact Mr. Enamul as a guide.
Nawab Faizunnesa Choudhurani (1834–1903) was Zamindar of Homnabad-Pashchimgaon Estate in present-day Comilla District, Bangladesh. She is most famous for her campaign for female education and other social issues. In appreciation of her social work, in 1889 Queen Victoria awarded Faizunnesa the title of "Nawab", making her the first female Nawab in South Asia.
Early life and background: Nawab Faizunnesa Chowdhurani was born in 1834 in the village of Pashchimgaon under Laksham in the district of Comilla. Her father was Ahmed Ali Chowdhury, a descendent of the Mughal emperors and zamindar of Homnabad-Pashchimgaon estate. Faizunnessa was raised in a conservative Muslim family, where the women would maintain a strict purdah system. She received no formal education but she educated herself in her library during leisure time. She was proficient in Arabic, Persian, Sanskrit and Bengali language. In 1860, Faizunnesa was married to a distant cousin and neighboring Zamindar, Muhammad Gazi, becoming his second wife. But the couple became separated for an unknown reason and Faizunnesa began to live with her paternal family.
Career and philanthropy: After her mother's death in 1883, Faizunnesa inherited her property and became Zamindar of Pashchimgaon. She became increasingly involved in social work after becoming Zamindar. In 1873, Faizunnesa Choudhurani established a high school for girls in Comilla, which is one of the earliest female schools privately established in Indian subcontinent, which is now called Nawab Faizunnesa Government Girls' High School. She also founded a school at Pashchimgaon that was later upgraded to a college and now named as Nawab Faizunnesa Degree College.
In 1893, Faizunnesa established a charitable dispensary in her village for women in purdah, particularly destitute women. She also built a hospital for women, Faizunnesa Zenana Hospital in Comilla. In addition, she built mosques and contributed towards the development of roads and ponds. Faizunnesa patronized different newspapers and periodicals, including Bandhab, Dhaka Prakash, Musalman Bandhu, Sudhakar, and Islam Pracharak. Before her death in 1903 she donated her entire property to the nation.)  => Array ( [name] => Boro Katra [post_id] => 9883 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/boro-katra/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/P_20150610_1254411-169x300.jpg [post_content] =>
Boro Katra (বড় কাটরা) was built between 1644 and 1646 AD to be the official residence of Mughal prince Shah Shuja, the second son of emperor Shah Jahan. The prince endowed it to his diwan and the builder of the serai, Abul Qasim. The word Katra may have originated from Arabic word Katara which means colonnaded building.
It is a historical and architectural monument located in Old Dhaka, Bangladesh.‘Katra or katara’ in Arabic and Persian means ‘Caravan (Karwan) Sarai’ or simply a ‘Sarai’. It is a palatial building dating to the reign of the Mughal dynasty in the Bengal region. It is situated to the south of Chowk Bazar close to the north bank of the river Buriganga.
Words from the Second inscription of north gateway: “Sultan Shah Shuja Bahadur was famed for deeds of charity-Wherefore being hopeful of the mercy of God his slave Abul Qasim al-Husainia-Tabtaba, As Simnai, Built this sacred edifice endowing it with twenty two shops attached to it, o the rightful and lawful condition that the official in charge of the endowment should expend the income derived from them upon the repairs of the building and upon the poor, and that they should not take any rent from any deserving person alighting there in, so that the pious act may reflect upon the monarch in this world and they should not act otherwise, or else they would be called on the day of retribution. This inscription was composed by Sad-ud-din Muhammad Sherazi” (Dacca, p.193 by prof. A.H. Dani)
Architectural Property: The building's architecture follows the traditional pattern of the Central Asia's caravanserai and is embellished as per Mughal architecture. It originally enclosed a quadrangular courtyard surrounded by shops and was overlooked by a row of 22 living cells in each wing. Two gateways were built in the northern and southern wing. The southern wing is a two-storeyed structure and extends 223' along the river. It is marked in the middle by the southern gateway, an elaborate three storied central archway framed within a projected rectangular bay that provides access to the courtyard. The underside of the arched alcove of the gateway is adorned with intricate plasterwork. The wall surface around the spandrels with plastered panels in relief contain a variety of forms such as four-centred, cusped, horse shoe and flat arches. Each wing is two storied and the corners are marked by tall octagonal towers.)  => Array ( [name] => Hussaini Dalan [post_id] => 7309 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/hussaini-dalan/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/hussaini_dalan1-300x225.jpg [post_content] =>
Hussaini Dalan (হোসেনী দালান), some people pronounce as Hosaini Dalan, is another edifice from Dhaka. This is located beside the Nazimuddin Road of Old Dhaka. It is believed as a Shia Shrine, and was built during 17th century. There is a pond in front of the building.
It was built by Syed Murad during the governorship of Shah Shuja to commemorate the martyrdom of Al-Hussain, the grandson of our holly prophet Muhammad. Shah Shuja was a Sunni Muslim, but he had a predilection for Shia and patronized several such institutions.
This building has gone through several renovation and none of its antiquity left for the visitors. People only used to visit this place for its historical value. During the British period it was repaired heavily at 1807 and 1810. Also during the massive earthquake of 1897 caused a severe damage over this edifice. Now a days it just looks like a modern day's building covering with rich tiles with heavy ornate. The Photograph was taken by Fritz Kapp in 1904 with a view of the Imambara Hussaini Dalan in Dacca (now Dhaka), overlooking the tank.
During the first 10 days of Muharram, Shia people used to gather at this place to mourn for Al-Hussain. Though it’s a festival of Shia people, but local Sunni people used to join with them and bemoan with them. This ends at the day of Ashura. More about this building and festival is available at Wikipedia.)  => Array ( [name] => House of Brajen Munshi [post_id] => 6440 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/house-of-brajen-munshi/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/House-of-Brajen-Munshi-300x200-300x200.jpg [post_content] =>
Munshi Bari is situated at Dhoroni union from 7 km north-east of Ulipur sub district in Kurigram district. Brajen Munshi Agent of landlord Subarnamayi established this house for his one use. An inscription of a building beside the house established by Brajen Munshi indicate the established date 1880 A.D. From here, it is assumed that house of Brajen Munshi was built from few days before of that building. Now this building use for union Tahasil office.
[This spot needs more detail. If you have more information and photos, please be advised to add in our website. Your name will be published as a Content Contributor]) )
Questions, issues or concerns? I'd love to help you!