Walipur Alamgiri Mosque is situated in Walipur village under Hajiganj Upazila of Chandpur district. There are two mosques in the same locality – one known as Shahi Alamgiri Mosque and the other as Shah Shuja Mosque. The Alamgiri mosque has suffered much due to subsequent restoration works. Nevertheless, enough still survives to give an idea of its original plan and design. A Persian inscription in fine nastaliq character, fixed over the central doorway, records the construction of the mosque by one Abdullah in 1692 AD in the reign of Alamgir Aurangzeb.
In the middle of the eastern facade of the oblong mosque (15.24 m by 8.23 m) there is a projected fronton bordered with octagonal turrets through which opens out the main doorway. This has a higher arch with a half-dome within a rectangular frame. There are two more doorways in the eastern facade, one on either side of the central opening, having an outer arch with a half-dome below. Each of the north and south walls is pierced with a pair of arched doorways. The mosque has therefore seven archways in total -three in the east and two on each of the north and south walls. The four exterior angles of the building are strengthened by octagonal towers, which are carried beyond the horizontal parapets and topped over with kalasa finials, but have now been renovated.
Two massive octagonal brick pillars divide the interior of the mosque into five square bays – a large one in the middle (5.87m a side) and two smaller ones on its either side which are arranged in the east-west axis. Archways interconnect the bays; the arches are placed directly on two free standing octagonal pillars and engaged semi-octagonal pillars. It is worth noting that these arches are continued upwards as walls to make the bays above. This special device has given the mosque a two-storied appearance internally. All the five bays are roofed over with domes crowned with lotus and kalasa finials on cylindrical drums. The domes are carried on half-domed squinches on the upper corners and the blocked arches in between the square inches in the middle of the walls.
Octagonal turrets rising high above the horizontal parapets border the outside projection of the central mihrab, like that of the central archway. Inside, there are three mihrabs in the qibla wall. The central mihrab is semi-octagonal in design, but the flanking mihrabs are of the shallow rectangular type.
The original plastering of the building has been replaced by modern cement plaster. The horizontal parapet is now plain. The facade of the central archway projection is marked with shallow rectangular panels, each being further enriched with such motifs as plants and small trees with flowers in stucco. The central mihrab arch springs from beautifully decorated pilasters and has foliaged designs at its spandrels. The rectangular frame of the central mihrab, though now barely plain, is topped over with a frieze of blind merlons. A fine specimen of Mughal stucco ornamentation is still preserved in the squinches and blocked arches in between, which support the domes above. The extrados of the squinch arches and blocked arches are ornamented with interlocking scrolls, while the tympanums of the blocked arches are minutely embellished with floral scrolls with intertwining rosettes in the centers. Above them all round the interior base of the cylindrical drum runs a slightly sunken frieze decorated with floral scrolls.
Five-domed type mosque, one of the important varieties of Bengal mosques, shows two sub-types: (a) a mosque with a large central dome and a pair of small domes on each side in the same line and (b) a mosque with a large central dome and four small domes on the corners. The present mosque is the culminating example of the second variety. Both in planning and in the execution of elevation details of the building, the architect and the artisans have left behind a clear mark of their skills and perfection of ideas. The division of the interior of the mosque into five squares has been very scientifically effected by the disposition of two octagonal short massive freestanding pillars instead of the two east-west wide arches of the previous examples of the series. Mosques on this model were not built in Bengal for a long time, but almost two centuries later the type reappeared in the Becharam Dewri Mosque (1872) in the city of Dhaka. In plan Becharam Dewri Mosque is an exact copy of the Alamgiri Mosque but inferior in quality and elevation details.
Such mosque design in Bengal started with austagram mosque and evolved through the sarail mosque and the Walipur Alamgiri Mosque. The design is really unique. Question may now arise as to the origin of this particular kind of Bengal mosques. In Turkey under the early Ottomans the mosque of Rustam Celebi (c first half of the 15th century) at Tokat provides perhaps the earliest known example of its kind with five domes – the large central one and a small one on four corners. Similar plan is also found in such other Ottoman mosques as the Guzelce Hasan Bey Mosque (1406) in Hayrabolu and the Uc Serefeli Cam (1437-47) at Edirne. These mosques are generally regarded as the precursors of the great Ottoman mosques at Istambul – Bayezid mosque (1501-06), Sulaymaniya Mosque (1550-59), and the beautiful Selimya Mosque (1569-75) at Edirne. The five-roomed or five-domed planning of the Ottoman mosques may perhaps be said to have been dictated by those of some early Muslim buildings of Syria.
In India the Jamat Khana Mosque (1310-16) at Delhi is a lone example of its kind. This mosque design continued to have been practiced in Northern India in an elaborated form in Humayun’s Mosque (1530) at Agra, where four small domed-rooms, instead of two, are attached on either side of the large central domed chamber. It may, therefore, be said that the plan of the second variety of the five-domed type mosques in Bengal was not innovated by Bengal architects, and its idea is very likely to have been borrowed from the sources stated above, particularly perhaps from those of Turkey or Upper India.
Written by: MA Bari
After reaching at Chandpur, take local buses to reach Haziganj Pourashava, and take rickshaw to reach that mosque.
There are several launches from Sadarghat, Dhaka to Bodortuni, Chandpur. Departure time are 02:00 am, 06:15 pm, 07:00 pm, 07:30 pm, 08:05 pm, 08:30 pm, and 08:45 pm.
Meghna Express, Sagarika Express and Chandpur comuter are there from 5:00 am to 11:00 am.
There are quite a few small hotels in Chandpur but none of them are of great quality. However, some of the places to stay in the district have been listed below for your assistance.
1. Bhai Bhai Residential Hotel
Address: taltoli bus station, Chandpur
2. Hotel Sokina
Address: Notun Bazar, Chandpur
3. Hotel Atithi
Address: Maternity road, Chandpur
There are local restaurants serving a variety of Bengali delicacies.
Sat Masjid is located in the Mohammadpur area of Dhaka city, the building exhibits seven domes- three over the prayer chamber and four over the corner towers. Hence it is known as Sat Gombuz (seven domed) Mosque. The mosque occupies the western end of a slightly raised masonry plinth 26.82m by 25.60m, which is enclosed by a low wall with a gateway in the middle of the eastern side. This arched gateway with flanking ornamental turrets is exactly in alignment with the central doorway of the mosque proper. The top of the gateway could be approached from either the north or the south by an ascending flight of steps.
The mosque proper forms a large rectangle 14.33m by 4.88m on the inside and is emphasised with massive hollow domed towers of octagonal design on the exterior angles. The prayer chamber is entered through arched doorways - three in the east and one each on the north and south sides.
Corresponding to the three eastern archways there are three semi-octagonal mihrabs inside the western wall. Beside the central mihrab there is a three-stepped masonry pulpit. The central archway and the central mihrab, including two other archways on the north and south walls, have outwardly projected frontons depicting ornamental turrets on either flank.
The interior of the mosque is divided by two wide arches into three conventional divisions - a large central square bay and a smaller rectangular bay on either side. The roof is covered with three slightly bulbous domes on octagonal drums, the central one being bigger than its flanking counterparts. The large central dome is supported by the wide arches together with the two blocked arches over the central mihrab and central archway and the triangular pendentives on the upper angles. But in covering the side rectangles with domes a clever method has been adopted. In order to make a circular base for the dome, the rectangular space has first been made square above by creating half-domed vaults on the east and west walls. These half-domed vaults together with a further series of pendentives on the corners directly support the small domes.
The corner towers have flanking turrets like those in Khwaja Shahbaz’s Mosque and musa khan mosque, both in Dhaka city. Each of these consists of two storeys and is a monument by itself. The lower storey is pierced with four cardinally set arched openings in the north-south and east-west axis. Internally the roof of the lower storey is domical, but its reverse side is flat and forms the floor of the upper storey.)  => Array ( [name] => Khan Mohammad Mridha Mosque [post_id] => 7286 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/khan-mohammad-mridha-mosque/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Khan-Mohammad-Mridha-Mosque1-300x225.jpg [post_content] =>
Khan Mohammad Mridha Mosque is another archaic mosque from our Dhaka city. Unlike other mosques, this one has plenty of spaces around it, and not consumed by the proximity buildings.
The mosque was built over a very high vault like platform. Using the stair, anyone can go to the upper store and able to have the beauty of the antiquity. According to the inscription of the central doorway of the mosque, it was built during 1704–05 AD by someone named Khan Muhammad Mridha, and the mosque was named after him.
The mosque has three domes at the top of it and has four pillars at the four corners with traditional ornate. If you visit the mosque, you may find that the door is closed. It usually opens at the time of the prayer.
At the eastern side of the mosque, there is a tomb exists, but no epigraph over the tomb, so it is hard to find anything further about this. Also the there is a garden available at eastern side having various kind of seasonal flowers.
There are plenty of spaces around the mosque. It will allow you to observe the mosque without any obstacle unlike any other mosques from Dhaka City. Having roads at west and north of the mosque kept it detached from other buildings.)  => Array ( [name] => Isha Kha Jongolbari and Mosque [post_id] => 5067 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/isha-kha-jongolbari-and-mosque/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Isha-Kha-Jongolbari-and-Mosque-300x225.jpg [post_content] =>
Jungle-bari (জঙ্গলবাড়ী) is mainly a fort that is located at the Jungle-bari (জঙ্গলবাড়ী) of Karimganj Upazila (করিমগঞ্জ উপজেলা) of Kishoreganj (কিশোরগঞ্জ). It was the second capital of Isha Khan (ইশা খাঁ). He captured the fort from Lokkhon Shing Hajara (লক্ষন সিং হাজারা) during the battle of Egaro Shindur (এগারো সিন্দুর) with Man Singh (মান সিংহ).
This is known as Jungle-bari Durgo (জঙ্গলবাড়ী দুর্গ), Isha Khar Bari (ইশা খাঁর বাড়ী), etc. to the local people. There is a dilapidated building is still available there. A portion of that building is still being used by the decedents from Isha Kha (ইশা খাঁ).
An archaic mosque is available just beside the Jungle-bari (জঙ্গলবাড়ী) fort. It’s a small rectangular shaped mosque having three domes at the top and four minarets at the four corners. A large pond is available at the eastern side of the mosque.
Most of the Zamindar Bari (জমিদার বাড়ী) from Bangladesh are in a very poor condition. That time the owners were facing difficulties for religious upheaval and other adverse situations, thus they have sensed an urgency to leave this country for their own safety. But fortunately, here they are still living with pride, may be they were too much friendly with the peasants.)  => Array ( [name] => Binot Bibi Mosque [post_id] => 1446 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/binot-bibi-mosque/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Binat-Bibi-Mosque-3-300x200.jpg [post_content] =>
Binot Bibi Mosque is the earliest surviving mosque in Dhaka built in 1454 by Bakht Binat, the daughter of Marhamat. It was during the rule of the Sultan of Bengal, Nasiruddin Mahmud Shah (1435–1459). Binat Bibi Mosque is the earliest surviving mosque in Dhaka built in 1454 by Bakht Binat, the daughter of Marhamat. It was during the rule of the Sultan of Bengal, Nasiruddin Mahmud Shah (r. 1435–1459). The mosque is located beside the Hayat Bepari's Bridge in Narinda area.
The mosque is a square, single domed measuring 12 feet (3.7 m) square internally with a single hemispherical dome, at the top of the square room. Entrances are from east, north and south. Pre-Mughal features included the curved cornices and battlements, corner octagonal turrets, and arches on the south, north and eastern sides. The ornamentation is modest and the building is coated with plaster.
Part of the mosque is being demolished as part of a renovation plan which includes building a 70-foot (21 m) high minaret, and the extension of the current building from three stories to seven.) )
Questions, issues or concerns? I'd love to help you!