Array
(
[0] => Array
(
[name] => Niyogi House
[post_id] => 16728
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/niyogi-house/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/niyogee-house-8-300x200.jpg
[post_content] =>
The Niyogi House (নিয়গি বাড়ি) is located at Pukur Para (পুকুর পাড়া) of Singair Upazila. It is a old house built by Ganesh Chandra Niyogi more than 100 years ago. The household comprises of three structures, the principal and largest one is in severe ruins. Not only has the entire roof fallen down, anything that once formed this roof has now disappeared. The large arched doors and windows including their frames too are not to be found anywhere. It had a spacious corridor running the length of the building inside.
Another large building, though too in a dilapidated state is currently being used as the hostel of the local college. The smallest structure that once served as the kitchen has been renovated and is currently being used as accommodation by the Head of the Department of Economics of the same institution. He was there to proudly show us around the premises.
Within the inner compound of the buildings, there is an old well, which shows more waste than water some fifteen feet below. Date inscribed there 1334 Falgun (ফালগুণ) on the wall of this well, declaring this to be at least 87 years old.
)
[1] => Array
(
[name] => Hazrat Sharfuddin Abu Tawama
[post_id] => 11327
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/hazrat-sharfuddin-abu-tawamas-mazar/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/DSC068241-300x225.jpg
[post_content] =>
Hazrat Sharfuddin Abu Tawama’s Tomb and Mazar is situated just eastward to the Mosque in mazar Complex, connected to the Mazar of Hazrat Ibrahim Danish Mand. Without any inscriptional evidences, local people believe that this Grave is belong to the Hazrat Sharfuddin Abu Tawama. There are six graves in a row and second one from the east is belong to Hazrat Sharfuddin. This Mazar is surrounded by a fence wall. In that brick wall there is a stone inscription had been found. On the inscription a short description is written about the time period of a Mosque situated just west to the Mazar area.
Hazrat Sheik Sharfuddin Abu Tawama hails from Bhukhara. During the year 1274-1277, he came to then Sonargaon along with his family via Delhi and Manere of Bhiar. From Maner, a 17 years old pious boy Sheik Sharf-Uddin Yahia Manery took bayet in his hand and accompanied him to Sonargaon. Hazrat Sharf-Uddin Abu Tawama got the blessing of Hazrat Ibrahim Daneshmand (RA) who induldged him in establishing a Khankha to preach Islam in the area. He established Khanka to make the same one of the high standard educational institution with the help of his diciple Hazrat Sheik Sharf-Uddin Yahia Manery, who became the celebrated mentor and teacher of the Khanka.
Hazrat Sheik Sharfuddin Abu Tawama died in the year 1300 AD and buried within the premises of Darga Bari which is at the eastern side of Mograpara.
Unfotunitly the grave of Hazrat Sheik Sharfuddin Abu Tawama (RA) does not have any shed nor the place could be said very well maintained area.
)
[2] => Array
(
[name] => Hajiganj Fort
[post_id] => 10780
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/hajiganj-fort/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Hajigonj-Fort-Narayanganj-011-300x225.jpg
[post_content] =>
Hajiganj Fort (হাজীগঞ্জ দুর্গ) also called Khizrpur Fort, situated at Hajiganj locality of Narayanganj on the western bank of the Sitalakshya (শীতলক্ষ্যা). Having the characteristics of a water fort, it was originally built just at the point where the old Buriganga (বুরিগঙ্গা) discharged into the Sitalakshya. It may have been built soon after Islam Khan established the Mughal capital at Dhaka, and was intended to countercept the raids of the Magh and Portuguese pirates.
The fort, quadrangular in size, consists of a pentagonal curtain wall machicolated for muskets with rounded corner bastions. On the inner side of the curtain wall there is 1.22 meter high rampart walkway from the base of the curtain wall which is itself pierced by several musketry holes. Each of the corner bastions has staircase inside up to the rampart level and its merlons have wider holes in between meant for gun firing. In a corner of the fort quadrangle there is a free tall square column of brickwork which seems to be a guard tower. The existence of this column links the fort with other water forts of the time. The existence of the elevated platform for the setting of cannons is an important feature of the fort.
The only small gateway of the fort towards the river side suggests that the means of communication was by the river. The pentagonal gateway is placed in a rectangular structure with engraved rectangular arches on the both sides. The top of the gateway is decorated with lotus finial. There having no other structure inside the fort, it seems that the fort was occupied only in the rainy season when the pirates were expected, and that the occupants used tents as their shades. The fort area is now being used as the Fire Brigade headquarters of Narayanganj.
)
[3] => Array
(
[name] => Panam Nagar
[post_id] => 11238
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/panam-nagar/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/229750_223480837697299_316414_n1-225x300.jpg
[post_content] =>
Panam Nagar (পানাম নগর), ancient Painam, a locality now in Sonargaon upazila of Narayanganj district. It is about 2.5 kilometre to the north of Dhaka-Chittagong highway at Mograpara point. It is said to have been the site of Hindu capital city of Sonargaon emerging in the seventh decade of the thirteenth century. The Panam area formed part of the Muslim metropolis developed on the south of the old city, and perhaps constituted the place of residence of the early Muslim governors'. After the Mughal conquest of Sonargaon (1611) the Panam area was connected with the ruling metropolis by construction of highways and bridges. Panam still possesses three brick bridges belonging to the Mughal period: Panam Bridge, Dalalpur Bridge and Panamnagar Bridge.
The existence of these bridges, and the canals enclosing the site on three sides is indicative of its being a suburban area of the medieval city. The pucca road which leads from the Mograpara crossing on the Dhaka-Chittagong highway in the direction of Panam extending up to the Neel-Kuthi looks like a dividing line between medieval Sonargaon and the present Panamnagar, the only surviving relics of the Panam area. The Panam township stands on the east of this road opposite Aminpur, and a one-arched humped bridge leads from the same road over a narrow canal to the main street of Panamnagar.
In all probability the present Panamnagar grew as a by-product of the commercial activities of the english east india company and of the Permanent Settlement. The East India Company established their factory in Panam for the purchase of muslin and other cotton fabrics. The Company, for the purchase of muslin, used to distribute annually to the weavers from their factory in Panam as much as a lakh of rupees as dadni (dadni system advance), and it is estimated that there were then 1400 families of Hindu and Muslim weavers in and around Panam.
Sonargaon developed into a center of trade in cotton fabrics, chiefly English piece goods, during the colonial period, and thereby grew the new township of Panamnagar. A group of Hindu talukdars, who came into being from among the traders in the nineteenth century, chose this site for their residence. The existing brick buildings of Panamnagar, obviously the residence of the Hindu merchant-talukdars, can be dated back to early nineteenth, and the later ones to late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Panamnagar which developed in the nineteenth century, continued to flourish till the end of the Second World War.
Panamnagar, a unique township, stretched in a single street 5 meter wide on the average and 600 meter in length. All the buildings have the character of urban street front houses and are lined up on either side of this street which ends up at the Panam bazar. Fifty-two houses exist in dilapidated and disused condition having 31 in the north side of the street and 21 on the south. Panamnagar appears to be well protected by artificial canals all around. Two fairly wide canals run parallel to the street on its either side and joined by a narrow canal on the western side over which is the entrance bridge (Panamnagar Bridge). On the eastern side, the canal on the south swerves rightward and goes eastward crossing the north-south road that passes through the Panam bazar. The northern canal, the Pankhiraj Khal, runs eastward to meet the Meghna-Menikhali stream.
)
)