Array
(
[0] => Array
(
[name] => Hazrat Sharfuddin Abu Tawama
[post_id] => 11327
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/hazrat-sharfuddin-abu-tawamas-mazar/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/DSC068241-300x225.jpg
[post_content] =>
Hazrat Sharfuddin Abu Tawama’s Tomb and Mazar is situated just eastward to the Mosque in mazar Complex, connected to the Mazar of Hazrat Ibrahim Danish Mand. Without any inscriptional evidences, local people believe that this Grave is belong to the Hazrat Sharfuddin Abu Tawama. There are six graves in a row and second one from the east is belong to Hazrat Sharfuddin. This Mazar is surrounded by a fence wall. In that brick wall there is a stone inscription had been found. On the inscription a short description is written about the time period of a Mosque situated just west to the Mazar area.
Hazrat Sheik Sharfuddin Abu Tawama hails from Bhukhara. During the year 1274-1277, he came to then Sonargaon along with his family via Delhi and Manere of Bhiar. From Maner, a 17 years old pious boy Sheik Sharf-Uddin Yahia Manery took bayet in his hand and accompanied him to Sonargaon. Hazrat Sharf-Uddin Abu Tawama got the blessing of Hazrat Ibrahim Daneshmand (RA) who induldged him in establishing a Khankha to preach Islam in the area. He established Khanka to make the same one of the high standard educational institution with the help of his diciple Hazrat Sheik Sharf-Uddin Yahia Manery, who became the celebrated mentor and teacher of the Khanka.
Hazrat Sheik Sharfuddin Abu Tawama died in the year 1300 AD and buried within the premises of Darga Bari which is at the eastern side of Mograpara.
Unfotunitly the grave of Hazrat Sheik Sharfuddin Abu Tawama (RA) does not have any shed nor the place could be said very well maintained area.
)
[1] => Array
(
[name] => Judge Bari and Ukil Bari
[post_id] => 10277
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/judge-bari-and-ukil-bari/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/110-300x169.jpg
[post_content] =>
Traveling Nawabganj without paying a visit to Judge Bari and Ukil Bari (জজ বাড়ি এবং উকিল বাড়ি) (formerly known as Brojo Kutir) is nearly incomplete trip. Originally it was built as the residence of a Zamindar over a century ago, the Brojo Niketan was acquired by a judge in 1984, and henceforth became known locally as the judge bari, the residence of the judge.
Next door to the judge bari, on a corner of a sprawling playground made famous by the sheer attendance of Mahatma Gandhi in 1940, is another Zamindar’s house, which has been acquired by a lawyer, and thus taken the new name Ukil Bari.
In a small shrine between these two old palatial houses, one will come across a statue whose head has been knocked down, allegedly by the Pakistan Army during our Liberation War in 1971, supposedly of Gautama Buddha.
A little inside the Ansar controlled areas, one would come across the Brojo Kutir - the older palace of the Zamindar, and yet another palatial house of Kokil Peyari. It has now turned into a local picnic spot.
)
[2] => Array
(
[name] => Mirkadim Bridge
[post_id] => 8217
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/mirkadim-bridge/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Mirkadim-Bridge-11-300x200.jpg
[post_content] =>
Mirkadim bridge (মীরকাদিম ব্রিজ) spans the Mir Kadim canal (creek) which runs from Mir Kadim to Tangibari. It connects the village Abdullahpur and Panam area of Rampal Union Parishad under Munshigonj District. It is situated at a distance of about 5.50 km from the district headquarters. The local tradition claims it to have been built by King Ballal Sen, but the architectural features belie the local tradition. The bridge can architecturally be attributed to the Mughal period, not earlier than 17th century. The 53m long bridge consists of a central pointed arch of 4.40m span with two side arches of 2.25m span each. The central arch is 0.40m high from the water level of the creek and at present 31m wide. It is 6.15m wide with each wing measuring 16.80m in length. The central arch is flanked by an octagonal pilaster on each side. Similarly each of the side arches has a pilaster each crowned with a cupola. The plasters of the side arches rise above the spandrel of the arch but those of the central arch are shorter and so not reach the archivolt. The pier is 1.85m thick. It is reported that on either end of the bridge there were circular pillars but now these are buried under earth. It appears that there are 6 piers on each side of the bridge. The central arch is loftier and wider than the side ones and is set in a deep rectangular panel with plain plastered spandrel. Base of the arches provided with cut waters. The hump backed bridge rises to a central point from which its back gently slopes to either side. It has a 70 cm high parapet wall on either side. The surviving thickness of the bridge measures 4.34m.
It has been protected and repaired extensively by the Department of Archaeology.
)
[3] => Array
(
[name] => Nagar Kasba
[post_id] => 8573
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/nagar-kasba/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Nogor-Kosba-2-300x169.jpg
[post_content] => Kasba (কসবা) is an administrative unit of the Sultani rulers (1342-1576). The administrative units, such as Iqta(ইকতা), Erta (ইরতা), Iqlim (ইখলিম), and Kasba (কসবা) have been mentioned in the contemporary texts.
So far 37 Kasbas could be traced in the region of Bangladesh, most of which had been within or near about the present district towns. The distance between one Kasba from another varied. It is noticed that official titles were associated with some of the kasbas. We can exemplify Kazir Kasba (কাজীর কসবা), Kotowaler Kasba(কোতওয়ালির কসবা), Nagar Kasba(নগর কসবা) etc. Considering the location, distance of one from another, communication system with the central or Provincial Capital, attachment of official titles etc it is assumed that Kasba were administrative units and were equivalent to districts. An administrative officer, a Quazi (কাজী) and a Kotwal(কোতওয়াল) were in charge of a Kasba.
In this complex of many buildings we can detect several names of businessman who built those in different period of time in 19th Century.
While most of the Kasbas lost their former importance during the Mughal period, Munshiganj, or Bikrampur, as it was known earlier, flourished as an important district through a rich combination of education, economy, literary & cultural pursuits. Therefore, the Nagar Kasba of Munshiganj stood with its importance through the course of time. It is believed that during the British rule, especially during the later part of the 19th century, Nagar Kasba was rebuilt as a residential area of wealthy predominantly Hindu business people, who mostly traded through the river port of Mirkadim.
After the Partition of India (1947), it is believed that most of the Hindu wealthy families migrated to Kolkata. Those who decided to stay back, to tend to their established businesses soon began to find it difficult. As sporadic communal riots continued, the exodus continued till the late 1950s. Families often left silently at night, leaving behind all their belongings. Those who still chose to stay, almost completely left for India during our Liberation War in 1971.
During these dire times, most of these full-furnished wealthy houses fell vacant and remained untended for a long time. Gradually, over time, these empty houses began to be taken over by influential locals. The descendents of these grabbers now own these properties, and live in the dilapidated buildings. It therefore is not surprising that a house that looks like it was purposely built for Hindu owners now adorns the names of Muslim people.
Even in its latest hay days in the later part of the 19th century, Nagar Kasba was a row of magnificent houses, mostly of two floors, though not too large, but built in British colonial styles. The intricate designs and motifs that remain on the walls and pillars are testament to the wealth and taste of the owners. Unfortunately, almost all are now in ruins, where some have even been demolished by present day owners.
)
)