Array
(
[0] => Array
(
[name] => {:en}Jagaddal Vihara{:}{:bn}জগদ্দল বিহার{:}
[post_id] => 3652
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/bn/places/jogoddol-vihara/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Jogoddol-Bihar-Naogaon-01-300x225.jpg
[post_content] => {:en}
Jagaddal Vihara is located approximately 55km away from Noagaon Zilla sadar. It is a very ancient site. Locals call it as remnants of Bot Krishna Zamider Bari. Jagaddala Mahavihara was a Buddhist monastery founded by the later kings of the Pala dynasty, possibly Rampala (1077-1120), most likely at a site near the present village of Jagaddal in Dhamurhat Upazila in the north-west Bangladesh on the border of India, near Paharpur. Jagaddala Mahavihara (fl. late 11th century - mid-12th century) was a Buddhist monastery and seat of learning in Varendra, a geographical unit in present north Bengal. It was founded by the later kings of the Pāla dynasty, probably Ramapala (c. 1077-1120), most likely at a site near the present village of Jagdal in Dhamoirhat Upazila in the north-west Bangladesh on the border with India, near Paharapur. Some texts also spell the name Jaggadala.
A large number of monasteries or viharas were established in ancient Bengal and Magadha during the four centuries of Pala rule in North-eastern India (756-1174 AD).Dharmapala (781-821) is said to have founded 50 viharas himself, including Vikramashila, the premier university of the era. Jaggadala was founded toward the end of the Pāla dynasty, most likely by Rāmapāla (c. 1077-1120). According to Tibetan sources, five great Mahaviharas stood out: Vikramashila; Nalanda, past its prime but still illustrious, Somapura, Odantapurā, and Jagaddala. The five monasteries formed a network; "all of them were under state supervision" and their existed "a system of co-ordination among them ... it seems from the evidence that the different seats of Buddhist learning that functioned in eastern India under the Pāla were regarded together as forming a network, an interlinked group of institutions," and it was common for great scholars to move easily from position to position among them.
Jagaddala specialized in Vajrayana Buddhism. A large number of texts that would later appear in the Kanjur and Tengjur were known to have been composed or copied at Jagadala. It is likely that the earliest dated anthology of Sanskrit verse, the Subhāṣitaratnakoṣa, was compiled by Vidyākara at Jaggadala toward the end of the 11th century or the beginning of the 12th.
{:}{:bn}
জগদ্দল বিহার নওগাঁ জেলা সদর থেকে প্রায় ৫৫ কিলোমিটার দূরে অবস্থিত একটি প্রাচীন স্থান। স্থানীয়রা এটিকে বটকৃষ্ণ জমিদার বাড়িও বলে থাকে এবং জায়গাটিকে জজ্ঞদল হিসেবেও বলা হয়ে থাকে। বর্তমান উত্তরবঙ্গের বরেন্দ্রতে (১১শ শতাব্দীর শেষ থেকে ১২শ শতাব্দীর মধ্যে) এটি ছিল একটি বৌদ্ধ বিহার এবং শিক্ষাদান কেন্দ্র। পাল রাজবংশের রাজা সম্ভবত রামপাল (১০৭৭-১১২০) পাল শাসনামলের শেষার্ধে এটি প্রতিষ্ঠা করেন উত্তরপশ্চিম বাংলাদেশে অবস্থিত ধামরিহাট উপজেলার জাগদাল গ্রামে যে জায়গাটি ভারত সীমান্তবর্তী এবং পাহাড়পুরের নিকটে অবস্থিত।
উত্তর-পূর্ব ভারতে পাল শাসনামলের চার শতকে (খ্রিস্টপূর্ব ৭৫৬-১১৭৪) প্রাচীন বাংলা এবং মাগাধাতে অনেক বিহার প্রতিষ্ঠা করা হয়। ধর্মপাল (৭৮১-৮২১) একাই ৫০টি বিহার প্রতিষ্ঠা করেন যার মধ্যে ছিল সে সময়ের প্রধান বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় বিক্রমশীলা। তিব্বতের সূত্র অনুযায়ী পাঁচটি শ্রেষ্ঠ মহাবিহার ছিলঃ বিক্রমশীলা ছিল সেই যুগের প্রধান বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়; নালান্দা; সোমপুর মহাবিহার; অদন্তপুর এবং জাজ্ঞাদলা। পাল আমলে পূর্ব ভারতে শিক্ষাদানকারী সবগুলো বৌদ্ধবিহার রাষ্ট্রের তত্ত্বাবধানে ছিল এবং বৌদ্ধবিহারগুলো একটি নেটওয়ার্ক তৈরি করেছিল এবং বিহারগুলোর মধ্যে সমন্বয় ছিল এতে করে মহান মনিষীদের জন্য বৌদ্ধবিহারগুলোর মধ্যে অবস্থান বদলানো সহজ হত।
বজ্রানা বৌদ্ধশাস্ত্রে বিশেষায়িত ছিল জগদ্দল। পরবর্তীকালে জানা যায় যে কানজুর এবং তেংজুরে উল্লেখিত প্রচুর অক্ষর এই জগদ্দলেই গঠন করা হয়েছিল। সম্ভবত সাংস্কত ভাষার প্রাচীনতম সংকলন সুভাসিতারত্নকোষ জগদ্দলেই ১১শ শতাব্দীর শেষের দিকে অথবা ১২শ শতাব্দীর শুরুতে গঠন করা হয়।
{:}
)
[1] => Array
(
[name] => Shahrail Boro Bari
[post_id] => 17381
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/bn/places/shahrail-boro-bari/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/shahrail-boro-bari-11-300x224.jpg
[post_content] =>
If you are travelling Singair Upazila of Manikganj District then there will be a significant number of options come to your hand for paying a visit. A traveler or explorer who is interested in travelling old houses, then we may suggest whenever you will reach there at Singair Bazar, you would rather take a left turn and cover a distance of around 7-8 km to get there at the old house name Shahrail Boro Bari (সাহরাইল বড় বাড়ি) situated nearby Charigram Bazar. We could not revealed actual history as it is not being well documented anywhere about this Old House.
It seems hard for ORB (Offroad Bangladesh) team to recover the elaborate background history of this place until there is any publication or thesis report being found. We observed people calling this house a zamindar Palace as it is very common trends in our country to name a Old house Zamindar Bari .
So far our experts team can assume is that this House could be a part of Zamindari estate previously as we have discovered so many palatial houses around the same district. But considering the structure, the building layout, and the decorative patterns that are still visible in open eyes we can say at best, it was possibly the residential block of the eminent officials of the estate.
Interviewing the local folks we came to know that this property belonged to two Saha brothers named Ram Mohon Saha and Koushik Saha who allegedly sold off the property to its current owner a former Member of Parliament, before migrating to India. The owner we were told is planning on dismantling the damages and renovating the building.
)
[2] => Array
(
[name] => Lakshindarer Gokul Medh
[post_id] => 1378
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/bn/places/lakshindarer-medh-gokul/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Lakshindarer-Medh-Gokul-rakib-bd21-300x225.jpg
[post_content] => The name
Lakshindarer Gokul Medh is taken from famous folk tale Laksinder and Behula. It was excavated in 1934-1936 and it exposed the antique of a temple. It has a high podium and it can hold 172 rectangular blind cell of different types. Terracotta plaques and other objects were found while digging during the Pala period (6
th-7
th) century.
The mound derived its name from the popular romantic folk tale entitled Behula and Lakshindar. Connected with the same story is found another smaller mound, locally known as ‘Netai Dhopanir Pat’, situated to the close east of the Medh.
The mound is situated on the west of village Gokul which is about 2km to the southwest of Mahasthangarh. It was excavated in 1934-36 and has revealed the derelict relics of a temple. The remarkable feature of this temple is its high plinth accommodating 172 rectangular blind cells of various dimensions. They rise in tiers and packed solidly with earth, so as to form a lofty massive podium, crowned originally either by a shrine or a stupa, now lost.
This novel device, functionally comparable to our modern piling system, liberally used in Bengal during five centuries preceding the Muslim conquest, was found particularly suitable for the alluvial soil of Bengal by the builders to erect their sacred buildings to an imposing height much above the flood level. However, the cellular construction is not confined to Bengal only but parallel examples occur far to the west at Ahichhatra in the Bereilly district of U.P.
Terracotta plaques and other associated objects unearthed during the excavation, which are ascribed to the late Gupta period (6th-7th century A.D.), indicate that originally this stupendous ruin at the Medh constituted an imposing terraced sub-structure of a roughly cruciform plan surmounted with a central shrine of complex outline, dedicated probably to the Buddhist Faith. Over the sub-structure is an octagonal plinth which, as mentioned, may originally have carried a stupa, but now completely gone. This stupa was replaced by a square shrine ( 8.17m square outside) and porch during the Sena period (11th-12th century A.D.).
A grand staircase on the west gave access to the shrine, but the doorway of the shrine and porch was later blocked and the floor level raised to an unknown height. The excavation inside the shrine revealed a small intrusive cell containing human skeleton-probably of an anchorite-and underlying that was found a circular brick-paved pit of 3.86m in diameter. A stone-slab of 51.2cm × 46.1cm was discovered at the center of the shrine which bore 12 shallow holes with a larger hole in the center containing a tiny gold left, about an inch square. However, nothing note worthy was discovered underneath the stone-slab.
)
[3] => Array
(
[name] => Ulpur Zamindar Bari
[post_id] => 18413
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/bn/places/ulpur-zamindar-bari/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Ulpur-Jomidarbari-1-300x169.jpg
[post_content] =>
During 1850, the greater Gopalganj area was ruled by the Zamindar. At that time, they made hundreds of buildings for their residence and official purposes. The buildings were made in the traditional Zamindar Bari look and style. In the last 150 years, most of the houses were destroyed by erosion. After being taken by the government, the authority turned some of these houses into government buildings. Now, most of the houses are abandoned or occupied by local people.
There is a cluster of old buildings in the Ulpur Area which is situated in the Gopalgonj - Takerhat highway, not so far from the Gopalgonj main town. As soon as you cross the Ulpur bridge from Ulpur bazar, the buildings start to appear. The first one was used as the Union Land Office (Government) but is now abandoned. The local people over there are now using it to stock fodder.
The second was probably used as a duplex residential complex but now is being used as the Sub Post Office. The surrounding environment is good and the building is covered by bamboo stocks. In the main road, there is a large old building, which was probably the main building. Outside this building the words "Dinesh Dham" in Bengali is carved in a white slate. This building is currently occupied by some local inhabitants.
If we go farther, then we will see another broken house formerly used as the Upazilla Registry office, now almost completely in ruins. "Din-Dham" in Bengali is also carved outside he building in white stone.
The overall environment of this village is very good and peaceful. Walking for an hour in the silence of this area will be relaxing. The most attractive structure is the Temple. The walls of the temple is decorated with colorful glass & ceramics. The temple looks good but it is also abandoned so the temple has shifted into a newly constructed building.
)
)