Govinda Vita at Mahasthangarh is another archaeological spot from the great Mahasthangarh of Bogra. This is also at Shibganj, and just opposite of the Mahastangarh Museum. This one is also close at Sunday, and open for other days from 9:00 to 5:00. During summer time, the closing time extends for one hour.
This is situated just beside the famous river Korotoa of Bogra. Once upon a time it was a giant river, but day by day it’s becoming so narrow that you may feel it’s a canal.
From the excavation, some important antiquities discovered at Govinda Bhita that includes cast copper coins, silver coins, NBP wares, terracotta female figurines with sunga affinities, terracotta seal bearing Brahmi script and semi-precious stone beads.
[This spot needs more detail. If you have more information and photos, please be advised to add in our website. Your name will be published as a Content Contributor]
1. T.R Travels: Fast Trip-7.00 am/Last Trip-11.30 pm in every 30 minutes. Gabtoli -01191-494865, Mohakhali- 01191-494866
2. Shamoli Paribahan: 1st trip-6:00 am to Last trip-1:00 am Every 1 hour. Asadgate 02-9123471, Kalabagan 01711130862, Saydabad 01712-596940,
3. S.R travels: First trip – 7:30 am, last trip – 11:30 pm.After every 30 minutes. Gabtoli-02-8011226, Uttara-01552315318
4. Hanif Enterprise: Dhaka Bus Stand Phone: 051-60940, 60803, 01911-560882
Train No Name Off Day From Departure To Arrival
713 Karotoa Express No Bogra 5:09:00 PM Burimari 8:30:00 PM
714 Karotoa Express No Bogra 11:34:00 PM Santahar 12:30:00 AM
751 Lalmoni Express Friday Bogra 5:18:00 AM Lalmanirhat 8:20:00 AM
752 Lalmoni Express Friday Bogra 1:38:00 PM Dhaka 9:10:00 PM
767 Dolanchapa express No Bogra 2:25:00 PM Dinajpur 8:30:00 PM
768 Dolanchapa express No Bogra 11:23:00 AM Santahar 12:20:00 PM
771 Rangpur Express Sunday Bogra 3:45:00 PM Rangpur 7:00:00 PM
772 Rangpur Express Sunday Bogra 11:08:00 PM Dhaka 06.15 AM
Accommodation facilities in Bogra are pretty good and one can find four star hotels in this part of Bangladesh. Here are some names of the renowned accommodation service available here:
1. Hotel Naz Garden– Shilimpur 051-62468
2. Hotel Akbaria– kazi Nazrul Islam Sorok 0171-617-9982
3. Parjatan Motel– Bonani Mor 051-66753Here are some details about hotel, click here
Name of Hotels in Bogra City:
1. Hotel Al Amin, Nawabbari Road
2. Motel North Way, Sherpur Road
3. Hotel Royal Palace, Uposhohor
4. Parjatan Motel, Banani, Bogra
5. Hotel Akbaria, Thana Road
6. Hotel Sunview, Sherpur Road
7. Hotel Safeway, Santahar Road
8. Hotel Raj Moni, Bogra Raza Bazar
9. Hotel Honey Day,Boro Mosjid Lane
10. Hotel Aziz, Kobi Nazrul Islam Road
Charpatra Mura is a small but interesting archaeological site in Mainamati. It is situated in the northern part of the Lalmai ridge at about the center of the Comilla Cantonment area. A small Hindu shrine, 45.7m × 16.8m, was uncovered here. The shape and architectural design and decoration are unique; differing basically both from the Buddhist architecture of Mainamati and the traditional Hindu temple architecture of the Gupta or other Indian types. It appears to represent a synthetic Bengal type that has evolved gradually by assimilating certain elements and features of local Buddhist architecture.
The temple has two distinct parts, an open pillared hall in the badly damaged front part and a cell at the back in the west. The latter part was found less damaged and decayed, that is to say, better preserved and undisturbed. It could therefore be properly excavated and uncovered. The exterior of this cella or temple proper at the back shows a fantastically complex and variegated shape produced by a multiplicity of angles and corners resulting from a combination of symmetrical projections and offsets at lateral and vertical planes, maintaining, nevertheless, a delicate balance between exotic growth and basic strength and proportions of the original form and the traditional plan. The overall effect is highly pleasing.
A few very significant objects were discovered in this monument. These are a bronze relic casket and four copperplate grants - three of them issued by the last two kings of the chandra dynasty and the fourth by a Later-Deva king, all in favor of a Ladaha Madhava (Visnu) temple situated in devaparvata. One record identifies the locality as Pattikeraka. On the basis of our present knowledge and information, it may be stated with absolute certainty that this new settlement was definitely located in the Lalmai -Mainamati area, and occupied a part or the whole of the old city of Devaparvata, and that the Ladaha Madhava temple of the inscriptions may reasonably be identified with the excavated Charpatra Mura temple.
The temple was probably reconstructed, if not originally built, by the Chandra King Shri-Ladahachandra (c 1000-1020 AD) who derived his name from that of the consecrated deity. Alternatively, the deity derived its name from that of the builder king who appears to have been especially devoted to him. This king issued two of the four grants found here. The appellation, Charpatra Mura, is related to the discovery of four copperplates.
Written by: M Harunur Rashid)  => Array ( [name] => Lakshindarer Gokul Medh [post_id] => 1378 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/lakshindarer-medh-gokul/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Lakshindarer-Medh-Gokul-rakib-bd21-300x225.jpg [post_content] => The name Lakshindarer Gokul Medh is taken from famous folk tale Laksinder and Behula. It was excavated in 1934-1936 and it exposed the antique of a temple. It has a high podium and it can hold 172 rectangular blind cell of different types. Terracotta plaques and other objects were found while digging during the Pala period (6th-7th) century. The mound derived its name from the popular romantic folk tale entitled Behula and Lakshindar. Connected with the same story is found another smaller mound, locally known as ‘Netai Dhopanir Pat’, situated to the close east of the Medh. The mound is situated on the west of village Gokul which is about 2km to the southwest of Mahasthangarh. It was excavated in 1934-36 and has revealed the derelict relics of a temple. The remarkable feature of this temple is its high plinth accommodating 172 rectangular blind cells of various dimensions. They rise in tiers and packed solidly with earth, so as to form a lofty massive podium, crowned originally either by a shrine or a stupa, now lost. This novel device, functionally comparable to our modern piling system, liberally used in Bengal during five centuries preceding the Muslim conquest, was found particularly suitable for the alluvial soil of Bengal by the builders to erect their sacred buildings to an imposing height much above the flood level. However, the cellular construction is not confined to Bengal only but parallel examples occur far to the west at Ahichhatra in the Bereilly district of U.P. Terracotta plaques and other associated objects unearthed during the excavation, which are ascribed to the late Gupta period (6th-7th century A.D.), indicate that originally this stupendous ruin at the Medh constituted an imposing terraced sub-structure of a roughly cruciform plan surmounted with a central shrine of complex outline, dedicated probably to the Buddhist Faith. Over the sub-structure is an octagonal plinth which, as mentioned, may originally have carried a stupa, but now completely gone. This stupa was replaced by a square shrine ( 8.17m square outside) and porch during the Sena period (11th-12th century A.D.). A grand staircase on the west gave access to the shrine, but the doorway of the shrine and porch was later blocked and the floor level raised to an unknown height. The excavation inside the shrine revealed a small intrusive cell containing human skeleton-probably of an anchorite-and underlying that was found a circular brick-paved pit of 3.86m in diameter. A stone-slab of 51.2cm × 46.1cm was discovered at the center of the shrine which bore 12 shallow holes with a larger hole in the center containing a tiny gold left, about an inch square. However, nothing note worthy was discovered underneath the stone-slab. )  => Array ( [name] => King Harish Chandra Mound Palace [post_id] => 10403 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/king-harish-chandra-mound-palace/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Raja-Harish-Chandra-Mound-Palace-1-300x169.jpg [post_content] =>
Buddhist monastic remains have been found at least in three places in Savar. One of which is locally known as King Harish Chandra mound Palace in Majidpur (মজিদপুর) village to the east of the Savar Market bus-stop.
King Harish Chandra Mound Palace is a protected monument by the Department of Archaeology in Bangladesh. It Was protected on 22nd of November 1920, under ancient monument preservation act 1904 and acquired by the Government of Bangladesh in 23 December, 1925.
Excavation conducted here previously in 1925-26, traces of four structures along with some lintels of terracotta, Buddha images, and an inscribed Vishnu image were found. The evidence as a whole pointed to 7th-8th century AD. Excavations in the Rajbadi mound in 1989-90 revealed a square-shaped stupa enclosed by a wide wall. A silver 'Harikela' coin, a gold coin and a number of Buddhist bronze figures have been unearthed here. A date around 7th-8th century AD has been suggested for the remains.
Regular Archaeological excavation were conducted during several seasons from 1988 to 1997. As a result of those excavation It revealed a Stupa measuring 28m×28 on the north of the mound and an oblong monastic cells on the south of the mound. It appears two building and rebuilding phase on the both of exposed remains. By Archaeological excavations Further to its east at Rajasan, another area had been discovered containing Buddhist remains.)  => Array ( [name] => Kotila Mura [post_id] => 5527 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/kotila-mura-2/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Kotila-mura-171-300x225.jpg [post_content] =>
Kotila Mura is located in Comilla Adarsho Sadar Upazila in Comilla District. Locally the site is known as “Kotila Mura”. As a result of excavation mainly three stupas have been exposed side by side. The stupas are representing three jewels namely, the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha. Two stone sculptures large number of unbaked votive stupas & sealings of 7th-8th century Air Defense. A gold coin of Mu’tasim Billah, the last Abbasid Caliph (1242 – 1258) was recovered from the site. The establishment was in active from 7th to 13th century Air Defense.
[We need more detail information of this spot. If you have more information and photos, please be advised to add and share in our website. Your name will be published as a Content Contributor]) )
Questions, issues or concerns? I'd love to help you!