=> Array
[name] => Boro Katra
[post_id] => 9883
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/boro-katra/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/P_20150610_1254411-169x300.jpg
Boro Katra (বড় কাটরা) was built between 1644 and 1646 AD to be the official residence of Mughal prince Shah Shuja, the second son of emperor Shah Jahan. The prince endowed it to his diwan and the builder of the serai, Abul Qasim. The word Katra may have originated from Arabic word Katara which means colonnaded building.
It is a historical and architectural monument located in Old Dhaka, Bangladesh.‘Katra or katara’ in Arabic and Persian means ‘Caravan (Karwan) Sarai’ or simply a ‘Sarai’. It is a palatial building dating to the reign of the Mughal dynasty in the Bengal region. It is situated to the south of Chowk Bazar close to the north bank of the river Buriganga.
Words from the Second inscription of north gateway: “Sultan Shah Shuja Bahadur was famed for deeds of charity-Wherefore being hopeful of the mercy of God his slave Abul Qasim al-Husainia-Tabtaba, As Simnai, Built this sacred edifice endowing it with twenty two shops attached to it, o the rightful and lawful condition that the official in charge of the endowment should expend the income derived from them upon the repairs of the building and upon the poor, and that they should not take any rent from any deserving person alighting there in, so that the pious act may reflect upon the monarch in this world and they should not act otherwise, or else they would be called on the day of retribution. This inscription was composed by Sad-ud-din Muhammad Sherazi” (Dacca, p.193 by prof. A.H. Dani)
Architectural Property: The building's architecture follows the traditional pattern of the Central Asia's caravanserai and is embellished as per Mughal architecture. It originally enclosed a quadrangular courtyard surrounded by shops and was overlooked by a row of 22 living cells in each wing. Two gateways were built in the northern and southern wing. The southern wing is a two-storeyed structure and extends 223' along the river. It is marked in the middle by the southern gateway, an elaborate three storied central archway framed within a projected rectangular bay that provides access to the courtyard. The underside of the arched alcove of the gateway is adorned with intricate plasterwork. The wall surface around the spandrels with plastered panels in relief contain a variety of forms such as four-centred, cusped, horse shoe and flat arches. Each wing is two storied and the corners are marked by tall octagonal towers.
 => Array
[name] => Tahkhana Complex
[post_id] => 3614
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/tahkhana-complex/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Tahkhana-Complex42-300x225.jpg
[post_content] => Tahkhana Complex is located on the bank of a pond called Zahedulbala at a distance of 500m. towards north-west of Chhoto Sona Mosque. Two-storeyed in plan, the building called Tahkhana measures 35.35 x 11.58 m. On its first floor, there are 17 rooms of which two are octagonal. The octagonal room on the north-west was used for performing Salah, while the rest for different purposes, viz-saloon, recreation, dining, meeting hammam etc. The hammam complex proper is located on the south if the Tahkhana. There is a staircase in the south-east corner which leads down to the water level of the pond. There were provisions of supplying both cold and hot water following a channel of terracotta pipe, to the hammam complex. The entire building was constructed with small bricks laid in lime mortar. The wall of the building is decorated with niches and different kind of art motifs at its different points.
There are two views regarding the construction of this building. Firstly, Shah Shuja used to come and stay here for his administrative visit, rest and recreational purpose and to meet his spiritual guide Shah Niamatullah (R). Secondly, to provide residential accommodation to Shah Niamatullah (R) during the year 1655 AD. A mosque and tomb of Shah Niamatullah (R) are located on the north-west and north of the building respectively. At present, these buildings are protected monuments by the Department of Archaeology.
 => Array
[name] => Panga Zamindar Bari
[post_id] => 6442
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/panga-zamindar-bari/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Court-house-of-Panga-Zamindar-Bari-300x2001-300x200.jpg
Ruins of Panga Zamindar Bari located at Chinai Union of Rajarhata sub-district about 5 km far away from Kurigram district. After the death of Landlord Rani Lokhipriea her adopted son Debendra Narayana conduct estate during British period. "Konara" or "kongor" was his Designation. From his time Retrogression in the position of his estate, time to time it has been lost. Now you found some broken bricks here and there and a decorated pond. Also there has a court house without any damage.
 => Array
[name] => Nawab Faizunnesa Chowdhurani and Nawab Bari
[post_id] => 5531
[post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/nawab-faizunnesa-chowdhurani-and-nawab-bari/
[thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Choudhurani-Nawab-Faizunnesa11-201x300.jpg
Nawab Faizunnesa Choudhurani (1834–1903) was Zamindar of Homnabad-Pashchimgaon Estate in present-day Comilla District, Bangladesh. She is most famous for her campaign for female education and other social issues. In appreciation of her social work, in 1889 Queen Victoria awarded Faizunnesa the title of "Nawab", making her the first female Nawab in South Asia.
Early life and background: Nawab Faizunnesa Chowdhurani was born in 1834 in the village of Pashchimgaon under Laksham in the district of Comilla. Her father was Ahmed Ali Chowdhury, a descendent of the Mughal emperors and zamindar of Homnabad-Pashchimgaon estate. Faizunnessa was raised in a conservative Muslim family, where the women would maintain a strict purdah system. She received no formal education but she educated herself in her library during leisure time. She was proficient in Arabic, Persian, Sanskrit and Bengali language. In 1860, Faizunnesa was married to a distant cousin and neighboring Zamindar, Muhammad Gazi, becoming his second wife. But the couple became separated for an unknown reason and Faizunnesa began to live with her paternal family.
Career and philanthropy: After her mother's death in 1883, Faizunnesa inherited her property and became Zamindar of Pashchimgaon. She became increasingly involved in social work after becoming Zamindar. In 1873, Faizunnesa Choudhurani established a high school for girls in Comilla, which is one of the earliest female schools privately established in Indian subcontinent, which is now called Nawab Faizunnesa Government Girls' High School. She also founded a school at Pashchimgaon that was later upgraded to a college and now named as Nawab Faizunnesa Degree College.
In 1893, Faizunnesa established a charitable dispensary in her village for women in purdah, particularly destitute women. She also built a hospital for women, Faizunnesa Zenana Hospital in Comilla. In addition, she built mosques and contributed towards the development of roads and ponds. Faizunnesa patronized different newspapers and periodicals, including Bandhab, Dhaka Prakash, Musalman Bandhu, Sudhakar, and Islam Pracharak. Before her death in 1903 she donated her entire property to the nation.