Nawab Faizunnesa Choudhurani (1834–1903) was Zamindar of Homnabad-Pashchimgaon Estate in present-day Comilla District, Bangladesh. She is most famous for her campaign for female education and other social issues. In appreciation of her social work, in 1889 Queen Victoria awarded Faizunnesa the title of “Nawab”, making her the first female Nawab in South Asia.
Early life and background: Nawab Faizunnesa Chowdhurani was born in 1834 in the village of Pashchimgaon under Laksham in the district of Comilla. Her father was Ahmed Ali Chowdhury, a descendent of the Mughal emperors and zamindar of Homnabad-Pashchimgaon estate. Faizunnessa was raised in a conservative Muslim family, where the women would maintain a strict purdah system. She received no formal education but she educated herself in her library during leisure time. She was proficient in Arabic, Persian, Sanskrit and Bengali language. In 1860, Faizunnesa was married to a distant cousin and neighboring Zamindar, Muhammad Gazi, becoming his second wife. But the couple became separated for an unknown reason and Faizunnesa began to live with her paternal family.
Career and philanthropy: After her mother’s death in 1883, Faizunnesa inherited her property and became Zamindar of Pashchimgaon. She became increasingly involved in social work after becoming Zamindar. In 1873, Faizunnesa Choudhurani established a high school for girls in Comilla, which is one of the earliest female schools privately established in Indian subcontinent, which is now called Nawab Faizunnesa Government Girls’ High School. She also founded a school at Pashchimgaon that was later upgraded to a college and now named as Nawab Faizunnesa Degree College.
In 1893, Faizunnesa established a charitable dispensary in her village for women in purdah, particularly destitute women. She also built a hospital for women, Faizunnesa Zenana Hospital in Comilla. In addition, she built mosques and contributed towards the development of roads and ponds. Faizunnesa patronized different newspapers and periodicals, including Bandhab, Dhaka Prakash, Musalman Bandhu, Sudhakar, and Islam Pracharak. Before her death in 1903 she donated her entire property to the nation.
This spot is located in Laksam. So, after reaching at Comilla, take local buses to reach Laksam Upazila at Pashchimgaon Village. Take rickshaw to reach that place.
Comilla has excellent transport and communication system. Comilla and Dhaka are linked by both road and railway. There is also an airport in the district, but it is not currently being used.
The road distance of Comilla from Dhaka is 97 kilometers. You can take a bus from Dhaka to reach Comilla. Some of the bus services are listed below for your assistance:
1. Upakule Royal
Komolapur Bus stand
Contact: 01981-002 932, 01981-002 942
Contact: 01731-217 322
Komolapur Bus stand
Contact: 01770-493 775
4. Prime Service
Buses leave from Dhaka every fifteen minutes starting from 6:15am until 8pm.
Some of the hotels/motels in Comilla are listed below for your assistance.
1. Ashik Residential Resthouse
Address: 186 Nazrul Avenue, Comilla
2. Hotel Abedin
Address: Station Road, Comilla
3. Hotel Noorjahan
Address: Dhaka-Chittagong Road, Comilla
4. Hotel Sonali
Address: Kandirpar Circle, Comilla
Referred to where to eat in Comilla, click here
Few of the attractions in Bangladesh are as stately, large and beautiful as the Tajhat Zamindar Palace. This historical palace was built near the beginning of the 20th century. It is situated roughly three kilometers south east of Rangpur’s city center and currently serves as a museum for the public.
The front of this impressive edifice is about 76 meters long and two stories high. A ribbed conical dome supported by a tall octagonal neck is located in the center of the roof and crowns the palace. These are just some of the extraordinary features that continue to attract visitors from around the world to this small corner of the globe. The incredible architectural skill that went into the building and design of this 100-year-old palace is truly something special and visitors often find themselves stunned by the craftsmanship that is found in this amazing structure. It is hard to believe that all this, and the surrounding city, all started as a simple bit of trade involving hats.
Sometime during the 18th century a man by the name of Manna Lal Roy traveled from Punjab in India as a cap or hat merchant.There was a massive cap bazaar where trade was regularly conducted about half a kilometer southwest of Mahiganj and this was where he set up shop. The area was known appropriately as taj (cap) hat (bazaar) and the name has always stuck. Manna Lal Roy was a shrewd businessman who managed to amass quite a bit of wealth through his cap sales. In fact he became so rich that he was able to loan many of the viceroys in the region money during the famine of 1770-1790. This gave him immense power and influence and eventually led to him becoming the founder of the Tajhat dynasty. In the 1900s, one of his indirect heirs, GobindaLal Roy, became the last viceroy and Raja of Tajhat. GobindaLal Roy was the most educated viceroy to ever take his position and under his authority Tajhat flourished. It is thought that the Tajhat Palace was built under his rule.
There are a number of features of the palace that testify to the incredible wealth of the Lal Roy viceroy. Apart from the building’s immense size, the wide stairs that climb to the second story on the front of the building are made of marble. Beautiful pictures can be found on doors and windows.)  => Array ( [name] => Harisachandra Pat or Rajbari [post_id] => 6261 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/harisachandra-pat-or-rajbari/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/offroadbangladeshlogo2-300x178.png [post_content] =>
Ancient Harisachandra pat or Rajbari is located at Khutamara union in Jaldhaka Upazila of Nilphamari district. It is situated south side the river Charal Kata. Now it all ruins. There is an Elevation. On the Elevation are 5 black stone. People says that of that area those stone some time Sink and Arm in the soil. Many people says that it is a grave or building of the king. Beside this Elevation there are more two Elevation. In the north side of this pat or Rajbari there has two pond name Duyo-Suyo. Which carry the memory of two princes Anuda and Padun.)  => Array ( [name] => Vaggokul Zamindarbari and Adjacent Old Temple [post_id] => 9535 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/vaggokul-zamindarbari-and-adjacent-old-temple/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Vaggokul-Jomidarbari-1-300x169.jpg [post_content] =>
Vaggokul Zamindarbari and Adjacent Old Temple has now turned into a RAB camp in Vaggokul, Munshiganj.
[We need more detail information of this spot. If you have more information and photos, please be advised to add and share in our website. Your name will be published as a Content Contributor])  => Array ( [name] => Sreefaltali Royal Palace [post_id] => 3546 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/sreefaltali-royal-palace/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Sreefaltoli-Zamindar-Estate2-300x225.jpg [post_content] => Sreefaltali Royal Palace, also named as Sreefaltoli Zamindar Estate was built in 1300A.D. ) )
Questions, issues or concerns? I'd love to help you!