Sonakanda Fort (সোনাকান্দা দুর্গ) a Mughal river-fort located on the eastern bank of the Shitalakshya (শীতলক্ষ্যা) at port area. A group of river forts, constructed by the Mughals, guarded the water routes to Dhaka and other places of strategic importance and the Sonakanda Fort is one of them. The fort, under the protection of the Department of Archaeology and Museums, has been restored and repaired several times. The defensive walls and the massive artillery platform are still in existence. It is quadrangular in plan,measuring 86.56 m × 57.0 m and surrounded by a 1.06 m thick brick-wall, 3.05 meter in height, with inner and intermediate bastions.
The wall is built solid at the bottom. There is a circular artillery platform with a staircase on the west side, which leads up to the raised artillery platform to be entered by a five-foil arched gateway. The artillery platform, meant for a big calibre cannon aiming at the attackers coming up the river, is a new feature of the Mughal river forts in Bengal.
The platform has two circles of which the inner is 15.70m and the outer is 19.35m in diameter respectively. It is 6.09m in height and surrounded by walls. The corner bastions on both sides of the western wing are wider than those of the eastern wing, which are 4.26m, while the two on the western wing are 6.85m in diameter. The fort has two main parts; one is a fortified rampart wall of enormous dimension, which has numerous wide and narrow loopholes. And the other part, the most important one, is a raised outwork on the western face. Excepting the artillery platform, there is no trace of any permanent structure within the fortification walls. All round, the walls are crowned by machicolated merlons, which are on average one metre high.
The fort is provided with a single entrance gate on the north. The arched gateway is placed within a rectangular frame and both the sides are decorated with several plastered panels. The lofty arch of the entrance gateway is of the four-centred variety. There are four corner bastions. Unlike the bastions of the forts at Hajiganj and Idrakpur the bastions of this fort are octagonal in plan.
The fort is not dated by any inscription. Though the construction of this fort is attributed to Mir Jumla, there is no evidence for this. On stylistic similarities with other Mughal river-forts in and around Dhaka it is datable to the mid-17th century.
Shonakanda (সোনাকান্দা) Fort is very easy to access from Dhaka as Narayanganj town is adjacent to the Dhaka city. Local people mostly know this as Kella. So if you are finding any difficulties, just ask them for Kella instead of Sonakanda Fort. There is a simple direction that will be useful for you to locate the fort. First of all Come to the Chashara of Narayanganj using BRTC or any similar buses from Gulistan. Its around 40 taka per person. Take a rickshaw and come to the Bondor Ghat, also known as Narayanganj Launch Terminal. Its around 15-20 taka Rickshaw fare. Cross the river using the boats, per person 1-2 taka. Take a rickshaw and ask the driver to drop you near at the Kella.
The distance from Dhaka to Narayanganj is 28.1 km, which is around 47 minutes travel from the Dhaka city. By air, the distance between Dhaka and Narayanganj is 13.71 km. This distance is equal to 8.52 miles, and 7.4 nautical miles. These directions are for planning purposes only. You may find that construction projects, traffic, weather or other events may cause conditions to differ from this, and you should plan your route accordingly. You must obey all signs or notices regarding your route.
1. Bandhan (From Motijheel to Narayanganj, Direct)
From Motijheel to Narayanganj
2. Ekata (From Gulistan to Narayanganj)
From Gulistan to Shib Market, Narayanganj
3. Ullash (From Gulistan to Narayanganj)
From Gulistan to Narayanganj
1. Hotel Meheran
Shonaton Pal len road
2. Hotel Shonali
1no. Railgate, Pal road
3. Hotel Narayanganj
1no. Sirajuddoula road
4. Hotel Shugondha
Liakat Super Market,12/20 Digu babur bazar
5. Hotel Shurma
17no. Shahid Sohrawardi road
6. Hotel Rupayan
6no. S.S. road
Referred to things to do at Hajiganj Fort. click here
You will find a number of options to eat in Narayanganj bandar area. So many hotels and restaurants serve local cuisine. Besides those,Referred to where to eat in Narayanganj. click here
Mahajampur was an ancient Muslim ruled region. This region is situated few miles north to Sonargaon town area. There is a Mosque found here, named Mahajampur Ahamad Shah Mosque, which was built around in 16th C.E. The style of bricks engraving and placement of dome charms the visitors. There are so many Scholars who had described the location and beauty of this mosque at different time in various writing. Among them, ‘Parvin Hasan & A.K.M. Zakaria’ described its beauty in their writing.
Many ancient evidences of human settlement has been found along with this Mosque & Mazar structure. Archaeologist found a big quantity of ancient bricks wherever they conducted excavation in that region. Two inscriptions being discovered from this Mosque. From one of those inscriptions we came to know about Sultan Shams Uddin Ahmad Shah (1432-1436 AD), which make it named after by his name. But, it has been said that someone named Firoz khan built that Mosque.
This is a six domed Mosque, which is built following the stylistic beauty of Baba Adam Shahid Mosque. Domes over the roof are bearing the evidences of Sultani Architecture of Bengal. It contains various design and decorations which is certainly something needs to be observed meticulously.)  => Array ( [name] => Autshahi Moth [post_id] => 9406 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/autshahi-moth/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/IMG_20150527_114118396_HDR1-300x169.jpg [post_content] =>
Autshahi Moth (আউটশাহী মঠ) is a spiritually very prominent Hindu Religious structure among the local community. Local Hindu people has a strong belief and they always practice some rituals centering two temple, built at the base of Moth. Two temples containing distinguished deities. One is occupied by Devi Durga and another one is a fusion between Lord Shiva and Devi Parvati.
It is About 300 Years Old an island stylistic Moth,Beside Autshahi Radha Nath High School at Chander Bazar, Autshahee, Tongibari, Munshiganj. If someone wants to reach there at the temple, then there is no other options except the subway of wooden bridge which connects this feature with the highway.
In the early 18th century Bijoyram Kor built this temple covering his mother's tomb. Struck by different natural calamities, this temple lost its surrounding parts, even it gets curve leaving shape on its exterior.)  => Array ( [name] => The Central Cooperative Bank [post_id] => 15727 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/the-central-cooperative-bank-2/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/The-Central-Cooperative-Bank10-300x225.jpg [post_content] =>
The Central Cooperative Bank was established in 1921 during the British Period, under the then British Lord [Lawrence John Lumley Dundas, 2nd Marquess of Zetland]. All the transactions of his area where held and maintained by this bank. From the architectural point of view, undoubtedly this building holds the year old history. It is considered to be the oldest bank in Natore region. The foundation of the bank was laid by The Honorable Nawab Saiyed Nawab Ali Chowdhury Khan Bahadur C. I. E. on 15th February 1921.
The condition of this building is not good, as this years old structure has not been renovated yet and remain forsaken or excluded. Also, the government has not been any precautions to preserve this building. Now, it is being using by local people for some other purposes. The local government authority should take steps to save this historical attraction.)  => Array ( [name] => Nagar Kasba [post_id] => 8573 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/nagar-kasba/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Nogor-Kosba-2-300x169.jpg [post_content] => Kasba (কসবা) is an administrative unit of the Sultani rulers (1342-1576). The administrative units, such as Iqta(ইকতা), Erta (ইরতা), Iqlim (ইখলিম), and Kasba (কসবা) have been mentioned in the contemporary texts. So far 37 Kasbas could be traced in the region of Bangladesh, most of which had been within or near about the present district towns. The distance between one Kasba from another varied. It is noticed that official titles were associated with some of the kasbas. We can exemplify Kazir Kasba (কাজীর কসবা), Kotowaler Kasba(কোতওয়ালির কসবা), Nagar Kasba(নগর কসবা) etc. Considering the location, distance of one from another, communication system with the central or Provincial Capital, attachment of official titles etc it is assumed that Kasba were administrative units and were equivalent to districts. An administrative officer, a Quazi (কাজী) and a Kotwal(কোতওয়াল) were in charge of a Kasba. In this complex of many buildings we can detect several names of businessman who built those in different period of time in 19th Century. While most of the Kasbas lost their former importance during the Mughal period, Munshiganj, or Bikrampur, as it was known earlier, flourished as an important district through a rich combination of education, economy, literary & cultural pursuits. Therefore, the Nagar Kasba of Munshiganj stood with its importance through the course of time. It is believed that during the British rule, especially during the later part of the 19th century, Nagar Kasba was rebuilt as a residential area of wealthy predominantly Hindu business people, who mostly traded through the river port of Mirkadim. After the Partition of India (1947), it is believed that most of the Hindu wealthy families migrated to Kolkata. Those who decided to stay back, to tend to their established businesses soon began to find it difficult. As sporadic communal riots continued, the exodus continued till the late 1950s. Families often left silently at night, leaving behind all their belongings. Those who still chose to stay, almost completely left for India during our Liberation War in 1971. During these dire times, most of these full-furnished wealthy houses fell vacant and remained untended for a long time. Gradually, over time, these empty houses began to be taken over by influential locals. The descendents of these grabbers now own these properties, and live in the dilapidated buildings. It therefore is not surprising that a house that looks like it was purposely built for Hindu owners now adorns the names of Muslim people. Even in its latest hay days in the later part of the 19th century, Nagar Kasba was a row of magnificent houses, mostly of two floors, though not too large, but built in British colonial styles. The intricate designs and motifs that remain on the walls and pillars are testament to the wealth and taste of the owners. Unfortunately, almost all are now in ruins, where some have even been demolished by present day owners. ) )
Questions, issues or concerns? I'd love to help you!