Boro Kuthi is located in Shaheb bazar of Rajshahi town. An attempt was taken by Rajshahi City Corporation for turning the historical Dutch building into a heritage sight. There are 12 rooms here and it is 2 storied. Dutch and British traders used it for trading silk. After demise of Nawab Sirajud Dowla in 1757 it was bought by East Indian Company. Later it was sold to Robert Watson and Company. After 1947 partition Government used it as their supply center. In 1953 it was taken over by Rajshahi University.
For directions of Borokuthi see http://bit.ly/1gBOpMM. You may get there by bus or rickshaw.
It is approximately 261 km away from Dhaka. Bus, Train and Air Plane are available as transportation service from and to Rajshahi districts.
Transportation in Rajshahi is very good. There is bus service; taxi cabs, three-wheeler auto rickshaw and horse-driven tomtom are available to move within the city. Rajshahi is well connected to the rest of country through roads, air, rail and water.
There are two intercity bus terminals in the city. It takes about 5 to 6 hours by road to reach the capital. A number of bus services, including air-conditioned and non-air conditioned buses, are available to and from Dhaka. Bus services to other major cities and district’s headquarter are also available from Rajshahi.
Bangladesh Railway’s western zone head office is located in this city. Three Inter-City train services are operated by Bangladesh Railway, named “Silk City Express” “Padma Express” and “Dhumketu Express” between Dhaka and Rajshahi regularly. There are other inter-city, mail and local trains operated from here to connect Khulna city and other part of the country.
Shah Makhdum Airport is the primary airport serving the city. It is named after the Islamic preacher Hazrat Shah Makhdum (Rh.) is situated a short distance away from Rajshahi city. Domestic flights from Dhaka and Saidpur are available.
NAME OF SERVICE DEPARTURE TIME Phone No.
Green Line (Volvo) 08:30AM, 03:15PM, 11:30PM 01730-060080
Hanif Enterprise 04:30AM to 11:30PM (with every 30 minutes interval) 0173-402670
Shyamoli Paribahan 05:00AM to 12:00Pm (with every 1 hour interval) 02-900331, 02-8034275.
Modern Enterprise 06:00AM to 12:00Pm (with every 1 hour interval) 9123743, 327293, 806099
Train name: Silkcity Express
Train Number: 753
Train Route: Dhaka – Rajshahi – Dhaka
Starting Station: Dhaka
Starting Time: 1440
Destination Station: Rajshahi
Arrival Time: 2050
Time Taken: 6 Hours 10 Minutes
⇒ Prayer Place
⇒ Government defined foods and drinks with defined prices
⇒ Public Toilet
⇒ Booklets and magazines (have to buy)
⇒ Walking facilities between one compertment to another if needed
⇒ Government Railway Police (GRP) gaurd all the time
⇒ Very less chance to accident
⇒ Different Class for luxery or saving money
⇒ You can see the natural beauty by the window beside you
⇒ Cheap than any service
1. Hotel Red Castle
Hotel Red Castle is a nice guest house for accommodation. It is situated at the centre point of Rajshahi district. The river Padma is very near from the hotel. Anyone can easily go anywhere in the city from the hotel. Moreover the rent of the hotel is also very cheap. It has 13 rooms in 2 floors. Room Fare: Single A/C BDT 1,000/-, Double A/C BDT 2,200/- to BDT 3,200/- Have to add 15% VAT and 5% Service charge. Address: Serushar Para, College Road, Boalia,Rajshahi.
2. Hotel Sukarna International
কাপড় পট্টির গলি Rajshahi, Bangladesh
3. Haq’s Inn
Extra Facilities: Boiled water, Television, Car Parking, Attached Bath
Address: Bir Srestha Captain Mohiuddin Zahangir Sarani, Shiroil, Rajshahi-6100.
Phone: 810420, 810421
Rates: 250 to 1400 BDT
4. Hotel Dalas International
Extra Facilities: Boiled Water, Television for Each Room, Car Parking, Attached Bath.
Phone: 811470, 773839,
Address: Bindur More, Rail Gate, Rajshahi
Rates: 350 to 1600 BDT
5. Hotel Mukta International
Extra Facilities: Boiled Water, Television for Each Room, Car Parking, Attached Bath.
Address: Ganakpara, Shaheb Bazar, Rajshahi
Phone: 771100, 771200
Rates: 250 to 1500 BDT
6. Hotel Mid Town International
Extra Facilities: Boiled water, Television, Telephone, Dining, Attached Bath
Address: Shaheb Bazar (Be side of Zero Point), Rajshahi
Phone: 774961, 811528
Rates: 300 to 900 BDT
Other accommodation facilities in Rajshahi are as follows:
Porjoton Motel (0721-775237), Hotel al Hasib (Ganokpara, Boalia), Hotel Moon (Shahebbazar, Boalia), Hotel Radar, Hotel hox Inn (Shroil, Boalia, Rajshahi), Hotel Jomjom (Hetmotha, Boalia), Hotel Prince (Ganokpara, Boalia), Hotel Saikat (Laxmipur mor), Islami Abasik Hotel (Laxmipur, Razpara), Hotel Sukanna International (Somobay Super Market), Hotel Nice International (Ganokpara), Hotel Sky (Molopara, Boalia), Hotel Heaven (Sharoil Bazar, Boalia), Hotel Elegent (Ganokpara, Boalia).
There are no eating facilities here. You may search for fast-food shops or restaurants nearby.
Sonargaon contains quite a number of Archaeological evidences, helping the scholars to reconstruct the Medieval History of Sonargaon area of Bangladesh. Goaldi Mosque, one of the very few surviving medieval monuments in the city of Sonargaon. About 6 km north-west of the little township of Panam, near Sonargaon in Narayanganj district, there are two such precariously surviving old single-domed mosques in the sequestered hamlet of Goaldi, virtually hidden behind thick bamboo brakes and clusters of mango and jackfruit tree groves.
Built in 1519, the graceful, single-domed Goaldi Mosque is the most impressive of the few extant monuments of the old capital city, and a good example of pre-Mughal architecture. This mosque is one of the few remnants from the Sultanate period in Sonargaon, during the reign of Sultan Hussain Shah in 925 Hijri (1519 AD). It was built by Mulla Hizabar Akbar Khan in the early 16th century, during the reign of Alauddin Husain Shah at a place called Goaldi - half a mile northeast of Panam village in Sonargaon. Sonargaon was the administrative center of medieval Muslim rulers of East Bengal. It became as the capital of Bengal during Isa Khan's ruling. The area falls under present-day Narayanganj District, Bangladesh. This mosque is more elegant and ornate in comparison to the earlier Sultanate mosques at Bagerhat.
There are some ornamental black stone pillars inside the prayer hall for the support of the roof. Corresponding to the three arched doorways on the east there are three richly decorated mihrabs on the west wall, of which the central one is bigger and beautifully embellished with curved floral and arabesque relief on dark black stone, but the flanking side mihrabs are ornamented with delicate terracotta floral and geometric patterns. The central stone mihrab is framed within an arched panel with an expanded sunflower motif in the centre. Below that the spandrels of the multi-cusped arch of the mihrab are decorated within a rectangular frame. The engrailed arched recess is carried on stunted octagonal pillars faceted at stages. Four round-banded turrets at the outer corners rise up to the curvilinear cornice.)  => Array ( [name] => Rangpur Carmichael College [post_id] => 18930 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/rangpur-carmichael-college/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Carmichael-College-8-300x200.jpg [post_content] =>
Carmichael College is a part of heritage and history of Uttar Bongo (northern Bangladesh). It is indeed one of the oldest colleges in the country.
Rangpur Carmichael College (রংপুর কারমাইকেল কলেজ) is one of the most prestigious colleges of northern Bangladesh. It has a campus of almost 300 acres and is possibly the largest in the country, in terms of its area. It was established in 1916, with the generous help of several landlords, including Gopal Lal Roy Bahadur, Mohima Ranjan Roy, Babu Monidra Chandra Roy, Radha Ballav Saha and others. It boasts a large lush green campus with several uniquely designed buildings.
The first three colleges of the country were named only after the district headquarters where they were located (Dhaka College, 1841, Chittagong College, 1869, & Rajshahi College, 1873). Similarly this new institution could have been named Rangpur College. However, several institutions that had been founded in the districts of Barisal (Brojo Mohan College, 1884), Sylhet (Murari Chand College, 1892), Pabna (Edward College, 1898), Comilla (Victoria College, 1899), Mymensingh (Ananda Mohan College, 1901) & Khulna (Braja Lal College, 1902) had taken names after their patrons. So when Lord Baron Thomas David Gibson-Carmichael of Skirling, the then First Governor of Bengal, formally inaugurated the institution, it naturally took up the name Rangpur Carmichael College.
From the outset, this was under the governance of Calcutta University, and was only permitted to teach Arts subjects, both at Higher Secondary and Graduation level. Lord Lytton, the Governor of Bengal visited the college in 1922. He was amazed at the beauty of the campus, the fascinating infrastructure, and the quality of education that was being offered here. He immediately permitted the college to begin teaching science subjects. The same year, Calcutta University also permitted the college to begin graduation courses in Bangla, Sanskrit, Arabic, Persian, English, History, Philosophy, Political Science, Economics & Mathematics. Bachelor of Science degrees were introduced in 1925.
The college currently offers graduation courses in 17 disciplines and post graduation courses in 15 subjects. From the 2011-12 academic year, the college reopened the Higher Secondary courses, having put that on hold for 14 years. Rangpur Carmichael College was under the purview of Calcutta University till 1947, Dhaka University during 1947-1952, Rajshahi University during 1953-1992, and the National University thereafter.)  => Array ( [name] => Shoshi Lodge ( Women Teachers Training College) [post_id] => 22126 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/shoshi-lodge/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Shoshi-Lodge-4-300x169.jpg [post_content] =>
Shoshi Lodge (শশী লজ) is located at the center of Mymensingh city which is also known as the Residential Palace of Moharaja Shoshi Kanto Acharya (মহারাজা শশীকান্ত আচার্য). This palace is very close to the river Brahmaputra which is being used as Women Teachers Training College from the year 1952.
According to the history, most of the rulers from Zamindar family have adopted babies in different era and those adopted child ruled the area later. For example Gourikanta(গৌরীকান্ত) was adopted by Roghunondon(রঘুনন্দন). Son of Gourikanta was Shashikanta(শশীকান্ত) and his wife adopted Surjokanta (সূর্য্যকান্ত) as she was childless. Later, Surjokanto became the prominent Zamindar of Mymensingh district. People used to call him as Moharaja(মহারাজা).
Moharaja Surjokanto Acharya was the Zamindar in Mymensingh region for long 41 years. During the reign of his Zamindari he did so many work for social welfare and made a remarkable change in infrastructural development.
He started to build an unique two storied building on an area of nine acre at the end of nineteenth century. Childless Zamindar Surjokanto named after this building in the name of his adopted son Shoshi Kanto Acharya. After completion of construction this building was extensively damaged by a destructive earth quake on the year 1897. Zamindar Surjokanto was immensely worried at this great loss.
Later Zamindar Shoshi Kanto Acharya re-built this building with many additional features in the year 1905 and did more renovation work in 1911. This unique classical architecture and its surrounding will certainly attract a traveler to explore this place recurrently.)  => Array ( [name] => Panam Nagar [post_id] => 11238 [post_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/places/panam-nagar/ [thumb_link] => http://offroadbangladesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/229750_223480837697299_316414_n1-225x300.jpg [post_content] =>
Panam Nagar (পানাম নগর), ancient Painam, a locality now in Sonargaon upazila of Narayanganj district. It is about 2.5 kilometre to the north of Dhaka-Chittagong highway at Mograpara point. It is said to have been the site of Hindu capital city of Sonargaon emerging in the seventh decade of the thirteenth century. The Panam area formed part of the Muslim metropolis developed on the south of the old city, and perhaps constituted the place of residence of the early Muslim governors'. After the Mughal conquest of Sonargaon (1611) the Panam area was connected with the ruling metropolis by construction of highways and bridges. Panam still possesses three brick bridges belonging to the Mughal period: Panam Bridge, Dalalpur Bridge and Panamnagar Bridge.
The existence of these bridges, and the canals enclosing the site on three sides is indicative of its being a suburban area of the medieval city. The pucca road which leads from the Mograpara crossing on the Dhaka-Chittagong highway in the direction of Panam extending up to the Neel-Kuthi looks like a dividing line between medieval Sonargaon and the present Panamnagar, the only surviving relics of the Panam area. The Panam township stands on the east of this road opposite Aminpur, and a one-arched humped bridge leads from the same road over a narrow canal to the main street of Panamnagar.
In all probability the present Panamnagar grew as a by-product of the commercial activities of the english east india company and of the Permanent Settlement. The East India Company established their factory in Panam for the purchase of muslin and other cotton fabrics. The Company, for the purchase of muslin, used to distribute annually to the weavers from their factory in Panam as much as a lakh of rupees as dadni (dadni system advance), and it is estimated that there were then 1400 families of Hindu and Muslim weavers in and around Panam.
Sonargaon developed into a center of trade in cotton fabrics, chiefly English piece goods, during the colonial period, and thereby grew the new township of Panamnagar. A group of Hindu talukdars, who came into being from among the traders in the nineteenth century, chose this site for their residence. The existing brick buildings of Panamnagar, obviously the residence of the Hindu merchant-talukdars, can be dated back to early nineteenth, and the later ones to late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Panamnagar which developed in the nineteenth century, continued to flourish till the end of the Second World War.
Panamnagar, a unique township, stretched in a single street 5 meter wide on the average and 600 meter in length. All the buildings have the character of urban street front houses and are lined up on either side of this street which ends up at the Panam bazar. Fifty-two houses exist in dilapidated and disused condition having 31 in the north side of the street and 21 on the south. Panamnagar appears to be well protected by artificial canals all around. Two fairly wide canals run parallel to the street on its either side and joined by a narrow canal on the western side over which is the entrance bridge (Panamnagar Bridge). On the eastern side, the canal on the south swerves rightward and goes eastward crossing the north-south road that passes through the Panam bazar. The northern canal, the Pankhiraj Khal, runs eastward to meet the Meghna-Menikhali stream.) )
Questions, issues or concerns? I'd love to help you!